Feb 24, 2012
Hi guys,

I have just put together a system with the following;

- 960t x4
- Asrock 880G Extreme3 MB
- 8gb Ballistix Sport ram 1600
- Zotac GTX465
- Powercool 550w 80+ PSU

The issue i am having is that im not getting any signal from the graphics card. The monitor seems to sense its there, but then reverts to the no signal screen. The integrated graphics works fine. Im using it via the mini hdmi connector (waiting on dvi connector to test). I bought the card 2nd hand and was assured that it was working, although they said they only used the dvi ports.

After a few hours of scraching the head and reading forums i decided to replace one of the psu's 8pin to 6pin cables for the 6pin to 2xmolex and connected it to a 2xmolex to 6pin lead and into the card. It worked and i saw the post screen and got into the bios fine. Next time i turned it on it wouldnt work and im back to square one. So swapped it back to the two 8pin to 6+2 pin cables to try and nothing.

Ive tried the card in all the pci-e slots and no go.

Would this be a symptom of a weak PSU? I wouldve thought that a 550w would be ample, but i have read the GTX465 are power hungry and i dont really know how good a the Powercool is.

Any advice would be great before i go shelling out on a new mb, card or psu.

Alex

almunro

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Okay so i was right in thinking the symptoms are just that of too low ampage from the psu?

The one i have is this http://www.ebuyer.com/226458-powerc...0-dual-12v-v2-2-high-efficiency-psupc550aubam

I cant seem to find the amp ratings of the rails, but im assuming its less that the 38a that ive read is the recommended minimum for the 465.

I think i'll go with a XFX 550w Pro as its not a bad price at Maplin.

I'll report back with the findings!
Thanks

almunro

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Okay so to further this query i have some news. I have got it to work (always the way after ordering a new psu!) by using the peripherals plug on the psu.

So into the card i have two 6 pin connectors, one coming from a 8 pin pci labelled port, and the other using the peripheral port (two molex into 6pin connector into card).

This works, and seems fine however i havent really taxed the system yet, as im not a gamer but a 3d rendering guy. I will use a pgu benchmark/burn in tool to test stability of it.

Now is this way to getting it to work okay? Should really work with the two red 8pin>6pin pci cables? Would my psu be faulty if its not working from the two pci ports?

IM a bit stumped as to whether or not so go ahead with the new psu, or hold out until its clear i need one.

Thanks