Sign in with
Your question

Help! $2000 Video Editing Pc - First time Builder

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 8:29:00 PM

I am going to be building my first computer at the end of the year. I will be editing HD video and want to edit video for a career, Youtube content creator. This is my first computer and i would appreciate help from the community. I am 19 and have saved up $2000 for this computer. I will be using either the "Internal Graphics 4000" built into the CPU or maybe a GTX 550 Ti for graphics if i decide to run dual monitors. This is not intended to be a gaming computer, This is meant to be a video editing computer. I have done my homework on the parts but i know that i should still get advice from other people. Thank you again for helping / giving your opinions on my build. Also is this Overkill?

*I will be waiting till the release of Windows 8 to start my build.

Software:
Video: Sony Vegas 11 Movie Studio Platinum
Photo: Photoshop CS 5.5
Audio: Audacity

Hardware:
Corsair 650D
Intel i7 3770k
Asus Sabertooth z77
Corsair H100
Corsair Vengance 16Gb (2 X 8Gb)
AX850
Sandisk 120Gb SSD
WD 2Tb Caviar Green Hard drive
Hauppauge Colossus
*Windows 8

Reasons for Parts:
Case------------Mid-Tower, Side panel, Cable Management Gromets, Looks good
CPU-------------Will prob Overclock to 4Ghz..
MotherBoard---One-Click Overclocking. Z77, SATA3, USB 3.0, T.U.F. Board
CPU Cooler-----I dont want to upgrade later, I am nervous about messing with the cpu cooler too much so i'm just going to start with H100
RAM------------So i can upgrade to 32Gb down the road
PSU------------Plenty of overhead
SSD------------Boot Drive / Programs
HDD------------Storage
Cap Card-------Record Gameplay, Music, Movies
OS--------------Better support for Dual Monitors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Probable Future Upgrades:
60Gb SSD Cache for Hard drive
2Tb Raid 0 for Video Capture Scratch
More Fans
Ram upgrade to 32Gb
Dual Monitors
EVGA GTX 550 Ti

Any help from the community would be great!
May 1, 2012 9:32:18 PM

To be honest, the reason no one has replied is because you have a perfect build for what you want. I mean like you say you have done your homework which I encourage people to do and get advice of course! :)  Anyway, your build is full of high end hardware which will do very nicely for professional video editing/encoding/rendering.

I don't think its overkill as video rendering can take a very very long time, I have a friend who is a professional on YouTube he uses Sony Vegas, when he starts a render he often leaves his computer for around 1-2 hours to render a 15 minutes. What the extra hardware does is shorten render times and lets you do other things while its rendering.

As for the future upgrade I would change that GPU to a nVidia 650 Ti (According to nVidia's release cycle it should be out by the time you build). Basically the graphics card will take some load of your CPU when rendering which will allow you to do a lot more other tasks whiles its rendering in the background...

But yeah, great build!

I would love one myself, but alas I am a 17 year old student... which = no money. :D 
m
l
May 1, 2012 9:36:17 PM

If you're going for a $2K editing build I would just scrap that whole thing and go X79 - the large RAM capacities will make it easier in the long run to open the large files required for After Effects and things of that nature.

Windows 8 will not handle multiple monitors better than Windows 7 will - that's entirely GPU dependant. I'm not the biggest fan of Windows 8 either - to me it looks like Vista with a cell phone interface, which doesn't translate well to a desktop if you ask me.

Try this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
Motherboard: Asus P9X79-V Pro - $319.99
CPU: 3.20GHz Intel Core i7-3930K - $559.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 Socket LGA 2011 Edition - $89.99
RAM: 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Ares 1600MHz 1.5V - $89.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $128.99
HD: 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F3 - $129.99
Optical: LG Blu Ray Burner - $79.99
Video Card: ATI Fire Pro V5800 - $319.99

Total: $2,204.89

A little bit over budget but here's the reasoning behind the component choices:

Case - big, roomy, expandable, able to use up to 10 HDs and native support for large coolers and SSDs without adapter, great air flow, cable and dust management
PSU: Enough power for a 3-Way SLI setup or anything else you may need with plenty of connectors and a Silver rating, made by Seasonic, and is a steal for the price
Motherboard / CPU - X79 is the way to go for video editing as you can have up to 64GB RAM where the limit on Z77 is 32GB, and the hex core CPU will allow you to spread tasks across multiple displays without fail
Cooler: The single strongest air cooler on the market - far safer than an H100
SSD: Faster and far more stable than any Sandforce drive like the Sandisk
HD: 2TB out of the box, no need for RAID
OS: Better for networking and able to run XP legacy programs and drivers, does away with Home Premium's RAM limitations
Video Card: Able to run up to 3 x displays out of the box with no issues, can Crossfire to allow up to six, professional grade to be able to draw fine lines better

I don't include accessories like the caption card on builds as that's usually not essential. You can always add those later once you get your build up and running
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2012 11:41:36 PM

g-unit1111 said:
If you're going for a $2K editing build I would just scrap that whole thing and go X79 - the large RAM capacities will make it easier in the long run to open the large files required for After Effects and things of that nature.

Windows 8 will not handle multiple monitors better than Windows 7 will - that's entirely GPU dependant. I'm not the biggest fan of Windows 8 either - to me it looks like Vista with a cell phone interface, which doesn't translate well to a desktop if you ask me.

Try this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
Motherboard: Asus P9X79-V Pro - $319.99
CPU: 3.20GHz Intel Core i7-3930K - $559.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 Socket LGA 2011 Edition - $89.99
RAM: 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Ares 1600MHz 1.5V - $89.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $128.99
HD: 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F3 - $129.99
Optical: LG Blu Ray Burner - $79.99
Video Card: ATI Fire Pro V5800 - $319.99

Total: $2,204.89

A little bit over budget but here's the reasoning behind the component choices:

Case - big, roomy, expandable, able to use up to 10 HDs and native support for large coolers and SSDs without adapter, great air flow, cable and dust management
PSU: Enough power for a 3-Way SLI setup or anything else you may need with plenty of connectors and a Silver rating, made by Seasonic, and is a steal for the price
Motherboard / CPU - X79 is the way to go for video editing as you can have up to 64GB RAM where the limit on Z77 is 32GB, and the hex core CPU will allow you to spread tasks across multiple displays without fail
Cooler: The single strongest air cooler on the market - far safer than an H100
SSD: Faster and far more stable than any Sandforce drive like the Sandisk
HD: 2TB out of the box, no need for RAID
OS: Better for networking and able to run XP legacy programs and drivers, does away with Home Premium's RAM limitations
Video Card: Able to run up to 3 x displays out of the box with no issues, can Crossfire to allow up to six, professional grade to be able to draw fine lines better

I don't include accessories like the caption card on builds as that's usually not essential. You can always add those later once you get your build up and running

Thank you for your advice.
1. As this is my first build i already am in over my head alittle. A 6 core Socket 2011 Processer is too much at this point.
2. Windows 8 Beta Does support multiple screens better than Windows 7. The task bar runs the whole way across both screens. plus why would i choose an operating system that will be out dated in a few months when the cycle refreshes every 3 years.
Thanks for the advice. No disrespect but i'm not going to "scrap that whole thing" to move to 6 cores..
m
l
May 1, 2012 11:48:12 PM

shadowhuntur said:
To be honest, the reason no one has replied is because you have a perfect build for what you want. I mean like you say you have done your homework which I encourage people to do and get advice of course! :)  Anyway, your build is full of high end hardware which will do very nicely for professional video editing/encoding/rendering.

I don't think its overkill as video rendering can take a very very long time, I have a friend who is a professional on YouTube he uses Sony Vegas, when he starts a render he often leaves his computer for around 1-2 hours to render a 15 minutes. What the extra hardware does is shorten render times and lets you do other things while its rendering.

As for the future upgrade I would change that GPU to a nVidia 650 Ti (According to nVidia's release cycle it should be out by the time you build). Basically the graphics card will take some load of your CPU when rendering which will allow you to do a lot more other tasks whiles its rendering in the background...

But yeah, great build!

I would love one myself, but alas I am a 17 year old student... which = no money. :D 

Thank you.
I believe what you are trying to say is that video programs can use the processing power of certian graphics cards. Kuda technology. I have looked into that already. the software i am using is not advanced enough to take advantage of kuda graphics cards (Both cards mentioned are kuda capable) Where did you find the release cycle for Nvidia?? i am new to graphics cards and do not know the standard release dates for cards.. Thanks for your polite review. you sound like you know what you are talking about. if you were building a Pc with a similar budget what hardware would you choose? I am curious of what you would choose. Thanks
m
l
!