Show DOS Commands at Startup

In Windows 98, there was a way to disable the startup splash screen and
see the DOS commands being executed.

Can this be done in Windows XP?

Thank you,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Disable the Windows Splash Screen:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_splash_disable.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Forester wrote:
> In Windows 98, there was a way to disable the startup
> splash screen and see the DOS commands being executed.
>
> Can this be done in Windows XP?
>
> Thank you,
> Daniel

Hi Bert,

Thank you for the reference. The "Windows XP" splash screen is now
disabled.

Would there be a way to stop the "welcome" screen as well?

--Daniel

Bert Kinney wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Disable the Windows Splash Screen:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_splash_disable.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/

Yes, with Autologon in Tweakui. Install the correct version of Tweakui
and go to Logon - Autologon.

Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1
and later.
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can be found
here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Daniel Rose wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> Thank you for the reference. The "Windows XP" splash
> screen is now disabled.
>
> Would there be a way to stop the "welcome" screen as well?
>
> --Daniel
>
> Bert Kinney wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Disable the Windows Splash Screen:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_splash_disable.htm
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/

Is there a way to access DOS with winxp professional only partially installed
due to lack of product key? I had win 98 previously, is there a way I can
restore my old version? Or was I just the stupidest idiot and now have to
figure out something else?

Thank you. Now instead of the "welcome" graphic screen there is one which
states, "Loading your personal settings..." I was hoping instead to see
several screens of DOS commands, as there were in Windows 98 with the splash
screen disabled.

Also, I would be interested in knowing if the Microsoft compensates MVPs for
the great assistance they provide on these newsgroups.

--Daniel

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, with Autologon in Tweakui. Install the correct version of Tweakui and
> go to Logon - Autologon.
>
> Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1 and
> later.
> http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp
>
> With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can be found here:
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/

Hi Daniel,

What you are experiencing is normal Windows XP bootup with the welcome screen disabled. You would
not see any 'DOS commands screen' if the welcome screen is disabled.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Daniel Rose" <noname@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Thank you. Now instead of the "welcome" graphic screen there is one which states, "Loading your
> personal settings..." I was hoping instead to see several screens of DOS commands, as there were
> in Windows 98 with the splash screen disabled.
>
> Also, I would be interested in knowing if the Microsoft compensates MVPs for the great assistance
> they provide on these newsgroups.
>
> --Daniel
>
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message news:eJUxXkb2EHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Yes, with Autologon in Tweakui. Install the correct version of Tweakui and go to Logon -
>> Autologon.
>>
>> Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1 and later.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp
>>
>> With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can be found here:
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/

Hi Daniel,

Here's some information on the MS-MVP program you may
find helpful and interesting.
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Daniel Rose wrote:
> Thank you. Now instead of the "welcome" graphic screen
> there is one which states, "Loading your personal
> settings..." I was hoping instead to see several screens
> of DOS commands, as there were in Windows 98 with the
> splash screen disabled.
> Also, I would be interested in knowing if the Microsoft
> compensates MVPs for the great assistance they provide on
> these newsgroups.
> --Daniel
>
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, with Autologon in Tweakui. Install the correct
>> version of Tweakui and go to Logon - Autologon.
>>
>> Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10
>> requires WinXP SP1 and later.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp
>>
>> With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can
>> be found here:
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/

And about the perks:

http://www.microsoft.com/india/mvp/

--

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message news:un$oVqv2EHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Here's some information on the MS-MVP program you may
> find helpful and interesting.
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional:
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Daniel Rose wrote:
>> Thank you. Now instead of the "welcome" graphic screen
>> there is one which states, "Loading your personal
>> settings..." I was hoping instead to see several screens
>> of DOS commands, as there were in Windows 98 with the
>> splash screen disabled.
>> Also, I would be interested in knowing if the Microsoft
>> compensates MVPs for the great assistance they provide on
>> these newsgroups.
>> --Daniel
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, with Autologon in Tweakui. Install the correct
>>> version of Tweakui and go to Logon - Autologon.
>>>
>>> Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10
>>> requires WinXP SP1 and later.
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp
>>>
>>> With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can
>>> be found here:
>>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>>> http://dts-l.org/

You can run:
gpedit.msc
Then go to:
computer configuration > administrative templates > system
Find and enable:
verbose vs normal messages
It's not the DOS screen but this way you do get some info on what your
system is doing.
gfidias

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Daniel,
>
> What you are experiencing is normal Windows XP bootup with the welcome
> screen disabled. You would not see any 'DOS commands screen' if the
> welcome screen is disabled.
>

> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Daniel Rose" <noname@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you. Now instead of the "welcome" graphic screen there is one
>> which states, "Loading your personal settings..." I was hoping instead
>> to see several screens of DOS commands, as there were in Windows 98 with
>> the splash screen disabled.
>>
>> Also, I would be interested in knowing if the Microsoft compensates MVPs
>> for the great assistance they provide on these newsgroups.
>>
>> --Daniel
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, with Autologon in Tweakui. Install the correct version of Tweakui
>>> and go to Logon - Autologon.
>>>
>>> Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1
>>> and later.
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp
>>>
>>> With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can be found here:
>>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>>> http://dts-l.org/

"Daniel Rose" <noname@nospam.com> wrote
| Thank you. Now instead of the "welcome" graphic screen there is one which
| states, "Loading your personal settings..." I was hoping instead to see
| several screens of DOS commands, as there were in Windows 98 with the splash
| screen disabled.

If you are running XP Home Edition,
Start
Run
regedit
Enter

Navigate to this key...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

In the right pane, look for a value named VerboseStatus.
If this value does not exist, then right-click in a blank area of the right pane and select New > DWord value.
Name it VerboseStatus

Double-click VerboseStatus and set it to 1