Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vortex+ or Hyper TX3 EVO for i3-2120?

Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:56:22 PM

Not going to do any overclocking at all.
or should I use the stock cooler?

BTW this are literally the only coolers I see in the shop.
a c 109 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 1:59:14 PM

They are both good, they are better than your stock, the cooler your CPU is the longer it should last.

And i would replace the stock anyway.
Score
August 15, 2012 2:09:57 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
They are both good, they are better than your stock, the cooler your CPU is the longer it should last.

And i would replace the stock anyway.

In your opinion, which would you choose for a no OC CPU?
Score
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:12:15 PM

Hard choice, i am more money limited so i would go for the cheaper one but the Vortex+ looks like it can cool better, more metal to it.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:13:58 PM

ModernKamikaze said:
Not going to do any overclocking at all.
or should I use the stock cooler?

BTW this are literally the only coolers I see in the shop.

That CPU has a TDP of only 65 watts. When I last installed one of those for a friend, and used the stock heatsink in an Antec case that had only 1 120mm exhaust fan, the CPU temperatures never rose to more than 45 degrees with LinPack (max load as per Intel).

You are fine with a stock cooler if your case has any air flow. Why spend the money on an aftermarket cooler on a non-OC capable CPU ?
Score
August 15, 2012 2:17:36 PM

Maxx_Power said:
That CPU has a TDP of only 65 watts. When I last installed one of those for a friend, and used the stock heatsink in an Antec case that had only 1 120mm exhaust fan, the CPU temperatures never rose to more than 45 degrees with LinPack (max load as per Intel).

You are fine with a stock cooler if your case has any air flow. Why spend the money on an aftermarket cooler on a non-OC capable CPU ?

I've read so much online that stock coolers are very noisy and don't do much in dissipating heat.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:23:17 PM

ModernKamikaze said:
I've read so much online that stock coolers are very noisy and don't do much in dissipating heat.

Noisy is highly subjective. I had no issues noise wise with stock coolers, and I use case damping and sound absorption to remove noise in some of my computers. My recommendation for noise is, try the stock fan, it is PWM controlled, to allow the motherboard to ramp up and down the fan speed as necessary to control temperatures, which means it could be very quiet if the temperatures are never very high. Also, since it comes with the CPU, TRY IT for yourself, and if you are not satisfied with the performance or noise, you can always buy an aftermarket cooler. By trying it yourself, you'll see whether or not it is to your liking, and how much more quiet or performance you need.

Thermal wise, they are designed to mate with the proper TDP cpus. Which means if you OC, the stock can't take you very far. If you don't OC, they are more than adequate.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:30:52 PM

ModernKamikaze said:
Thank you for helping me, obviously I SHOULD try it first before buying any aftermarket, so I will test it first see how it goes. Thanks for helping, you're a good man.

No problem! You are very welcome.
Score
August 15, 2012 2:31:49 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Noisy is highly subjective. I had no issues noise wise with stock coolers, and I use case damping and sound absorption to remove noise in some of my computers. My recommendation for noise is, try the stock fan, it is PWM controlled, to allow the motherboard to ramp up and down the fan speed as necessary to control temperatures, which means it could be very quiet if the temperatures are never very high. Also, since it comes with the CPU, TRY IT for yourself, and if you are not satisfied with the performance or noise, you can always buy an aftermarket cooler. By trying it yourself, you'll see whether or not it is to your liking, and how much more quiet or performance you need.

Thermal wise, they are designed to mate with the proper TDP cpus. Which means if you OC, the stock can't take you very far. If you don't OC, they are more than adequate.

Thank you for helping me, obviously I SHOULD try it first before buying any aftermarket, so I will test it first see how it goes. Thanks for helping, you're a good man.
Score
August 15, 2012 2:47:41 PM

Best answer selected by ModernKamikaze.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:52:43 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Hard choice, i am more money limited so i would go for the cheaper one but the Vortex+ looks like it can cool better, more metal to it.

I just saw your signature I actually still have a 500 celeron with 64 MB of ram and a voodoo 2000 16 MB GPU

Unreal tournament like a champ
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 2:55:10 PM

spentshells said:
I just saw your signature I actually still have a 500 celeron with 64 MB of ram and a voodoo 2000 16 MB GPU

Unreal tournament like a champ

When i got it it came with 64MB RAM and a 2MB GPU and a 5GB HHD....
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 8:46:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!