Vortex+ or Hyper TX3 EVO for i3-2120?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Noisy is highly subjective. I had no issues noise wise with stock coolers, and I use case damping and sound absorption to remove noise in some of my computers. My recommendation for noise is, try the stock fan, it is PWM controlled, to allow the motherboard to ramp up and down the fan speed as necessary to control temperatures, which means it could be very quiet if the temperatures are never very high. Also, since it comes with the CPU, TRY IT for yourself, and if you are not satisfied with the performance or noise, you can always buy an aftermarket cooler. By trying it yourself, you'll see whether or not it is to your liking...

ModernKamikaze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

In your opinion, which would you choose for a no OC CPU?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

That CPU has a TDP of only 65 watts. When I last installed one of those for a friend, and used the stock heatsink in an Antec case that had only 1 120mm exhaust fan, the CPU temperatures never rose to more than 45 degrees with LinPack (max load as per Intel).

You are fine with a stock cooler if your case has any air flow. Why spend the money on an aftermarket cooler on a non-OC capable CPU ?

ModernKamikaze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

I've read so much online that stock coolers are very noisy and don't do much in dissipating heat.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Noisy is highly subjective. I had no issues noise wise with stock coolers, and I use case damping and sound absorption to remove noise in some of my computers. My recommendation for noise is, try the stock fan, it is PWM controlled, to allow the motherboard to ramp up and down the fan speed as necessary to control temperatures, which means it could be very quiet if the temperatures are never very high. Also, since it comes with the CPU, TRY IT for yourself, and if you are not satisfied with the performance or noise, you can always buy an aftermarket cooler. By trying it yourself, you'll see whether or not it is to your liking, and how much more quiet or performance you need.

Thermal wise, they are designed to mate with the proper TDP cpus. Which means if you OC, the stock can't take you very far. If you don't OC, they are more than adequate.

Solution

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

No problem! You are very welcome.

ModernKamikaze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Thank you for helping me, obviously I SHOULD try it first before buying any aftermarket, so I will test it first see how it goes. Thanks for helping, you're a good man.

I just saw your signature I actually still have a 500 celeron with 64 MB of ram and a voodoo 2000 16 MB GPU

Unreal tournament like a champ

Status
Not open for further replies.