Final confirmation for ssd selection

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I have picked out 5 ssd's that I think fit my budget the best. I would like to spend under $100, I already increased my budget from 60 to 100 so there is no room left to go up.

I don't think OCZ are good quality so did not consider them. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to recommend them. This ssd will live in a sata 2 environment(netbook) at first and then I might move it to my desktop(sata3) if i ever need it.

Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT060A3K5 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Price - $90
Price/gb - $1.50
Pros - Intel
Cons - High Cost

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" Asynchronous MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Price - $65
Price/gb - $1.08
Pros - Good price
Cons - Complaints on newegg

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR90GB 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Price - 90
Price/gb - $1.00
Pros - Good price
Cons - Low number of reviews

Kingston SSDNow V+200 KW-S2390-4B 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (Upgrade Bundle Kit)

Price - 110/100 (after rebate)
Price/gb - 1.22/1.11
Pros - 90gb
Cons - Kingston

SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Price - 100
Price/gb - 0.83
Pros - Awesome Price
Cons - Sata 2 - SanDisk

Thanks for helping!

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Intel or Samsung.
A Sandforce drive is going to BSOD and give you trouble.
Reliability is more important than performance, and it's worth it to pay a little more
for something that just works.

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Damn, the 128 m4 was an amazing deal and I would have bought 2 more at that price haha.

The reason I didn't pick the 64gb m4 is due to the speed difference that occurs. The 128 is rated at 175mbps write but the 64 is at 95mbps.

All these other drives are upwards of 280 mbps/write, I am confused as to how that works though since the m4 has been rated one of the best picks quiet a few times.

So Intel and marvell > sandforce?

My priority list for picking an ssd this time is reliability, price, power consumption and then speed. In a sata 2 system I think most of these drives will excel no matter what in terms of speed.

BS. I have had the Mushkin for a long time and no problems or BSODs.

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I have a asus n570 and n2600 netbook right now and I am going try a ssd in both and see which one I want to keep. I realize that the bottleneck won't be the ssd but I want to squeeze out every bit of performance/battery out of this since carrying the netbook is much easier.

I still can't justify spending more than a 100 on the ssd for the netbook. Though I think I will pick up another m4 for the desktop.

The mushkin does seem like a good value to me right now especially since its one of the daily deals at newegg right now. Buying from amazon would be even better since I have amazon credit and its tax free.

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
azeem40, there certainly are stable Sandforce based drives, but read almost any legitimate review and they'll talk about the BSOD errors of the Sandforce 228x controllers.

I personally dealt with the issue, and after an RMA have a drive that works totally fine.
However, if I'm recommending something to someone, I'm going to use the experience I've had to point them in what I feel is the best direction.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4604/the-sandforce-roundup-corsair-patriot-ocz-owc-memoright-ssds-compared/2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5508/intel-ssd-520-review-cherryville-brings-reliability-to-sandforce

TRENDING THREADS