Solved

Front Side Bus Speed Mis-match

Hello,
What happens if I install a CPU with a FSB speed of 1333 in a motherboard with a FSB speed of 800
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about front side speed match
  1. Can the board support 1333? If your board can support that CPU it should go that high.
  2. It will either underclock the CPU or it won't work at all.
    What is the CPU you want to install , your current one and your motherboard or computer model?
  3. What about telling us which cpu and mobo you´re talking about?
  4. 4745454b said:
    Can the board support 1333? If your board can support that CPU it should go that high.

My current system is a dell optiplex 745, Small Mini Tower, Service Tag H31YPC1; it has a Pentium D, 3.4 processor. According to Dell's specs for my system, it supports the Intel® Pentium® D 800MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2x2MB L2 cache, EIST, and VT on 950/960 (900 series); it also supports the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 1066MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2MB and up to 4MB L2 cache, EIST and VT (E6000 series). ). I’m interested in finding out if a FSB mismatch will work at the lower of the mis-matched speeds, will not work at all, or will cause the system to over-heat and crash.
  5. Being a dell, a CPU with 1333 MHz FSB probably won't be supported by the BIOS.
  6. Best answer
    If it supports a C2D 1066FSB then get one of those. There are a number of CPUs that will be faster then your P4D.
  7. Best answer selected by dan_tucker.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bus Speed Motherboards