HWMonitor: Which gpu is which?

Tristan944

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but Ill try. Ive been playing Battlefield 3 (almost maxed out) a lot and it regularly (every 20 minutes to 1 hour) will freeze and lock up. After lots of research I think it may be because one of my video cards is overheating. I have 2-5850's, an XFX and a Sapphire. One card maxed out at 70C/157F, and the other 49C/120F.

However, I dont know which card hit 157 based on the HWM screen. There are two cards listed as the same name, one on top of the other. Anyone know which card is which? Is the HWM card on top the one in the first slot on the motherboard? Something like that?

I would post a picture/snipping tool image but I cant figure out how to do it.

GPUs can take over 90C so 72 is not really hot. Your cpu is also nice and cool. Your gpu voltages are messed up, 1.56v is not safe for the gpu, I think you should use something like msi afterburner and check the voltages, lock both at 1.1V max.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
The two GPU's should be at an similar voltage, and not one at 0.95-1.09 and the other at 1.26-1.56.
Even a voltage of 1.26 is not very safe for an AMD GPU.

If MSI Afterburner doesn't work, try ATI Tray Tools.

Hope it helps! :)

Tristan944

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I did all that and the voltage was still hitting 1.36 and the gpu fans were auto at max settings or something, it was really loud. I couldnt find anywhere in the BIOS to adjust the gpu voltage.

Tristan944

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I have Catalyst Control Center and a program called TOVERCLOCKER from Biostar, came with my motherboard. Here are some screen shots from TOVERCLOCKER. I cant find anywhere to change the voltage, unless it has a different name and I dont know what it is.

Tristan944

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
The following is data from after another crash:

1. The first screenshot is HWMonitor. Still says the voltage is up to 1.56

2. The second image is GPU-Z of the XFX card with all categories showing the max it reached.

3. The third image is of the Sapphire card with all the categories showing the max it reached. Notice how the max voltage is 1.0875 compared to HWM 1.56. Weird. Also notice how much more this card is being utilized compared to the XFX (and the XFX is in the first slot, the x16 one and the Sapphire is in the x4 slot). The Sapphire GPU load reached 100% while the XFX only reached 41%. Temperatures and fan speed were much higher on the Sapphire as well. What do you think of all that?