Sign in with
Your question

New build, weird freeze problem. (couldnt find on google)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 10:55:54 PM

Hi,

I just put together a computer today .. and this issue I cannot resolve.

Spec.
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-
8GBRL
-Rosewill RNX-G300EX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128bit WEP WPA WPA2 802.1x, 802.11i, AES, ...
-ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
-EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
(From newegg)

After putting together the build.. everything seems to run smooth until about 30 minutes into using..

In the process of downloading drivers etc. All of the sudden mouse/keyboard/ and screen all froze... and from then on the random freeze happens every 10 - 15 minutes or so.. sometimes occur when I press on download links.. or something just completely random (idle at desktop) Tried different USB ports but no luck. Theres no warnings or system error message whatsoever. Please help. Thanks.

More about : build weird freeze problem couldnt find google

a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2012 11:27:11 PM

Any oveclocking? Reset everything back to default. Try removing the non essential components, wireless card dvd burner and use the ondie video and see if the problem persists. Might be the psu. I've recently heard of a few people having problems with the corsairs but I'm not sure if it was the enthusiast series or not.
m
l
May 1, 2012 11:45:00 PM

Thanks for replying. There is no overclock. Could it be the ram? I ran with one of the two.. still froze.. then I am currently running the other one.. is lasting longer than usual... if it stops freezing with 1 ram sticks does that mean the slot on mobo for ram is bad or is it ram itself thats bad? thanks.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2012 11:46:42 PM

suteck said:
Any oveclocking? Reset everything back to default. Try removing the non essential components, wireless card dvd burner and use the ondie video and see if the problem persists. Might be the psu. I've recently heard of a few people having problems with the corsairs but I'm not sure if it was the enthusiast series or not.

btw, sorry, whats ondie graphic.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 12:02:30 AM

The graphics is actually on the cpu or die, it's a component of the processor instead of like in the old days when motherboards had graphics chips built in them. The hdmi, dvi or vga D sub port on your motherboard is just a connection that gets it's graphics' feed directly from the processor. If you're doing good on 1 stick of ram that could be the problem. Here is a link to memtest86 - http://www.memtest86.com/download.html - download and put it on a boot disk or usb and boot to it and it will test you memory sticks for you. If you get failures it's time to change 'em out. It might be the memory slot but the memory is easier to check. If it passed memtest switch them around and test it again. Let it run for a couple of hours each to be sure unless you keep getting failures you know to stop it. Or it might be that the memory is not compatible with your board. It's not on the QVL but that doesn't always mean it won't work. You might have to tweak a setting or two - voltage or timings. Here's a link to that if you want to check it - http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.us.asp?Model=Z77%20Extr... - because I might have overlooked it.
m
l
May 2, 2012 12:08:50 AM

Yeah, I cannot find it anywhere on the list.. Thank you very much for the links and explanations.. lessons learned. So I should run memtest first to see if memory is good, ifs good then might be compatibility.. so I will try getting new ram after that.. and (hopefully not) if problem still exists.. then I guess i'll start replacing stuff one by one? Thank you.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 12:13:42 AM

Yeah, running the memtest can tell you if the memory stick or the memory slot is bad just by running them in different sequences. Try every possibility before purchasing any new parts. If you find it's the memory slot - new mobo time so we'll hope for the memory sticks - so much cheaper and easier to replace.
m
l
May 2, 2012 1:05:47 AM

Another new problem occurred.. After some window 7 updates and what not system sometimes reboots itself while i am only doing very light tasks such as browsing...even went into a infinite reboot loop and i had to forcefully shut it down
m
l
May 2, 2012 7:00:53 AM

I tried everything I could, memory seemed to be working properly.. and I came across couple threads such as the one below, where like you mentioned, compatibility issues..
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310344-30-asrock-extr...

eventually I returned both z77 asrock extreme 4 and Ripjaws..
and ordered
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

troubleshootings been pain in the butt for first timer like me.. sigh hopefully better luck with gigabyte mobo.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 2:12:59 PM

WHY didn't you pick memory from the Qualified Vender's list?
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...

Something like these G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR for only $50(same total size for close to the same price but faster and you can add another 2 sticks down the road), when you use the promo code on this page - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want the 1600 MHz G-Skill then pick from one of these -
G.SKILL 2GB F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
G.SKILL 2GB F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL

That's what's on the list for the mobo you linked to. Did you mean the mobo with the WiFi? woops, didn't matter. Anyway, that's my advice.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
m
l
June 2, 2012 9:35:38 PM

I bought GA-Z77-D3H with i7-3770 + 2x4 Kingston 1600 ram.
No overclocking.
Same issues with random freezes.
Interesting thing is that reset button stops working. Holding power button still works.

I run linux ubuntu so You can cross out win drivers issues.

Now I am trying with cooling chipset because it sems to be quite hot. Its not very hot but sensors says 25C which is too low for that kind of heat.

Memory is new and I memtested them. Changed PSU to seasonic 460W. Turned off dvd & second drive. Upgraded bios to F13 (latest) still no results. Freezes occured in bios too.
m
l
!