Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer boots, no post screen

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 11:55:51 PM

I have recently upgraded my computer and added a SSD. I have formatted in and install windows. Since I've done this my computer boots (with the windows disk in the drive) but does not show the post and I cannot enter the BIOS even while pressing DEL while booting. I've installed the drivers for the motherboard and the video card, but still no change. Thanks in advance for any input!
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 12:09:17 AM

Check you video out cable and make sure it's still plugged in. Unplug the dvd drive (power or sata/ide cacble) and try rebooting while pressing delete key again and see if you can get into bios then. If not un plug the ssd also and try again for bios.

Pull the ssd out and try rebooting to your old operating system drive. Reset the cmos/bios settings to default and boot again.
May 2, 2012 11:05:44 PM

suteck said:
Check you video out cable and make sure it's still plugged in. Unplug the dvd drive (power or sata/ide cacble) and try rebooting while pressing delete key again and see if you can get into bios then. If not un plug the ssd also and try again for bios.

Pull the ssd out and try rebooting to your old operating system drive. Reset the cmos/bios settings to default and boot again.

I tried all that and nothing works. Now I've made it worse. I unplugged everything and plugged everything back the way it was before. Unfortunately, I had formatted the drive that previously had Windows (I know, bad idea...). Now, I reset CMOS but I can't boot anymore. It posts and I see the Bloodrage screen, but I can't enter BIOS and it brings me right away to an error message:

"AHCI Bios not installed!! Cmos checksum error - Defaults loaded"

And I can't do anything. I've researched the issue, but all answers seem to tell me to go into BIOS... Now I'm really worried that there might be something wrong with the motherboard.
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2012 12:15:29 AM

Try resetting the bios. After you unplug the computer from the wall and push the power button to remove all stored energy in it. Open it up and remove the cmos battery for a couple of minutes. Push the power button a couple of times just to be sure. Replace the battery. Plug in just the empty cd/dvd drive, 1 stick of memory and the old hdd and start it up. Hopefully you can get into the bios at this point. If not and you're still getting the same message you will probably need to update the bios using a usb drive. I had that happen one time on a gigabyte board and updating the bios was the only way to get the achi bios back.
May 16, 2012 10:03:24 PM

Best answer selected by Alyssa.
May 16, 2012 10:04:31 PM

Thank you! Removing stuff and putting it back made me realize what I had done wrong and now everything works!
!