Sign in with
Your question

Will a Router work as a switch?

Last response: in Networking
May 6, 2011 11:13:11 PM

Hello, I want to be able to easily switch off the internet, but stay connected to my local network. I'm trying to set up an arrangement that allows computer 1 to disconnect from the Internet, but stay connected to the local network, so computer 2 can still access the printer that is slaved to computer 1, and let computer 2 connect to the internet anytime.

If absolutely necessary, I have a second Router that might be employed, for switching purposes. The trick is to be able to do this switching simply. Can I issue a command from computer 1 that will let me disconnect from the internet, but stay on the local network?

I'm getting a bald spot,trying to work this out. Thanks for any suggestions...........Chan :sweat: 

More about : router work switch

May 7, 2011 12:04:56 AM

You can just unplug the cable to the modem for that.
m
l
May 7, 2011 12:12:52 AM

sturm said:
You can just unplug the cable to the modem for that.

Thanks, that would work, except that computer 2's folks will scream that they can't get to the internet..........Chan
m
l
May 7, 2011 6:35:12 AM

You could set up a separate subnet - say, 10.10.0.1 & 2 and 255.255.0.0 -to allow the connection for printer sharing and turn off the Intenet subnet when you wish to..

m
l
!