Upgrade Issues, Did I fry it?

surfariver

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Folks,
Finally took the plunge to upgrade my AthlonXP system to an Intel i3 one (with ASRock h61iCafe board). Been dealing with a number of problems this evening that seem to have gotten worse:

Initially, I could not get the system to boot from my PCI IDE RAID Card, it would say no devices found and go black but that has become the least of my issues.

After removing the PCI card, I was able to get in the BIOS and reboot several times, then I reinstalled the PCI IDE RAID card in the other PCI slot (with the power off of course). When I tried to turn the computer back on, I got nothing, no post, no screen, the CPU fan didnt even start. If I put my ear close to the power supply, I notice a faint continuous sound after I hit the power button. After I turn the switch on the power supply off, after a few seconds the noise stops and the CPU and power supply fan lurch forward a quarter turn or so.

I pulled the new mobo out and put my old one in and it booted alright. Put the new stuff back in and nothing.

Any thoughts? Should I start the RMA process on the board, the processor or both?

defynphysics

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
place your new mobo on a table and glab a flash light make sure nothing is burnt on it have a good look scan every bit of it front and back
and smell it (may sound wierd) but if u can smell a burnt scent then call the company that u got it from and send it back for a replacement.

did you use a anti static wristband or ground your self on the case?

surfariver

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
No wristband but I neurotically touch the case over and over again. Never had an issue like this when I used to do this back 2001 - 2005 way.

Looking at the back, there is one place with an irregularity. The board is brown and there is a red dot in the shape of a circle extending out and over a few circuit lines. On the front there is a small grey mini-mound that almost looks like some stray powdery soder near the SATA3 port.

It all looks strange when you're looking for a problem. No telltale smell that I can detect. Is there anything else I should be checking for?

have you tried clearing the cmos...sometime if you hang a new board at post sometimes you have to clear the cmos to get it to work again. also check that you have the 4/8 pin extra power connector plug in and power to your video card if needed. both will cause a no post. one thing to also check or do is force a cmos beep code...remobe the ream or video card and see if the mb beeps at you. if you dont or get no errors on lef fault light or post code led if the mb has them. then something must have shorted out on the new mb.

surfariver

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Tried clearing the CMOS, no luck

double checked my 4 pin and 20 pin connector. No video card, using the chip for it.

tried to force a beep code by removing ram, still nothing.

Hit the power button --> quiet whine coming from the psu and nothing else --> kill power to PSU --> 5 seconds later the whine stops and the fans all lurch forward.

Thinking RMA the board but keep the processor and RAM?

defynphysics

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

if u cant smell smell anything thats a good sign
if there was a fried circuit u would have noticed a black burn mark and there would have been a faint scent of burning