Solved

Gaming Build: A couple questions please!

Hey guys, I'm starting to wrap up my gaming build, but just have a couple more questions before I start to order parts. Here is my build so far.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19187772

First off, I was looking at upgrading to the GTX 680, if I did this would I need to change anything in my build? (mainly the power supply)

Second, I have to play on wireless where I live, so I was looking at two cards, but don't know much about wireless cards. Any advice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315099
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1x89ram504gae

Third, I was looking at putting 1 addition 120mm fan in the bottom of my case, but have never looked into any fans before so if anyone has any suggestions, it would be awesome.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012

Fourth, I am planning on 120gb SSD right now, I've heard that it should be enough for OS/games/Office/ect.? Also are their any others you would suggest, other then the Samsung 830, it seems overpriced.

Thanks,
Alex

:)
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming build couple questions please
  1. Best answer
    You may need to upgrade your power supply. 620w should be enough, but I would say go for 700w just to be safe.

    As far as the wireless card goes, I would go with the second one. It has 802.11a which I don't see you ever needing to use but may come in handy you never know. Or, you could always buy some really long cat5, and run it to your computer, but there wouldn't be that much of a noticeable difference :P

    For the fan: Any specific color/ no color at all?

    You can get a nice 120gb OCZ vertex for a bit cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706 Though I don't like OCZ for anything but their SSDs. Their SSDs are quite nice though :)
  2. if your self conscious about the psu at 620w, theres a Combo Deal with the same case and psu, but 850w for 15$ more than your original 2 separately.(so your paying 15$ for an additional 230w which is a nice buffer for any future purposes)
  3. That is a great combo deal. Definitely worth the extra $15
  4. Not to mention if you ever wanted to get a second 680 for sli come where down the road you'd probably be covered with 850w.
  5. also on a side note, your cpu+mobo combo for -10$ for the heck of it here
  6. jrwizbang said:
    You may need to upgrade your power supply. 620w should be enough, but I would say go for 700w just to be safe.

    As far as the wireless card goes, I would go with the second one. It has 802.11a which I don't see you ever needing to use but may come in handy you never know. Or, you could always buy some really long cat5, and run it to your computer, but there wouldn't be that much of a noticeable difference :P

    For the fan: Any specific color/ no color at all?

    You can get a nice 120gb OCZ vertex for a bit cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706 Though I don't like OCZ for anything but their SSDs. Their SSDs are quite nice though :)


    Awesome thanks. I'll look into that ssd and probably go for that 2nd wireless card then. And for the fan, just one thats good and quiet looks doesn't really matter since it's inside and on the bottom of the case.
  7. dudewitbow said:
    if your self conscious about the psu at 620w, theres a Combo Deal with the same case and psu, but 850w for 15$ more than your original 2 separately.(so your paying 15$ for an additional 230w which is a nice buffer for any future purposes)


    Thats an awesome combo deal thanks, do you know how long those last for? I was planning on starting to order around late may.
  8. hopz said:
    Thats an awesome combo deal thanks, do you know how long those last for? I was planning on starting to order around late may.


    combo deals involving the same companies parts usually stay active for a pretty good while. if not, regardless, finding a combo on newegg is extremely easy. in general, mobos love to combo with cpus, cases love to combo with psus of the same company. before ANY final purchase, always check if there's a better combo to make things cheaper or better(for instance, when i bought my case (55$ on newegg), it was on shell shocker for 45$ and i combed it with my 550w psu for somewhere around 85$~. which i told myself, 4 fan case with a semi-modular psu for 85$ is not that bad O_o.


    Always, i recommend for ANY buyer using newegg to look at

    http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6973/combosv.png

    on each part you have. it can save you a lot on cost or get yourself better parts. (look at the part you want, and scroll down the page till you see this). Its usually one of the few things that newegg offers which other sites may or may not offer.
  9. dudewitbow said:
    combo deals involving the same companies parts usually stay active for a pretty good while. if not, regardless, finding a combo on newegg is extremely easy. in general, mobos love to combo with cpus, cases love to combo with psus of the same company. before ANY final purchase, always check if there's a better combo to make things cheaper or better(for instance, when i bought my case (55$ on newegg), it was on shell shocker for 45$ and i combed it with my 550w psu for somewhere around 85$~. which i told myself, 4 fan case with a semi-modular psu for 85$ is not that bad O_o.


    Always, i recommend for ANY buyer using newegg to look at

    http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6973/combosv.png

    on each part you have. it can save you a lot on cost or get yourself better parts. (look at the part you want, and scroll down the page till you see this). Its usually one of the few things that newegg offers which other sites may or may not offer.


    thats really cool. Thanks, i never new that!
  10. This fan is wicked quiet, but the air flow is only 40 CFM.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185057

    This fan isn't quite as quiet, but the airflow if 74 CFM.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226042

    The second fan is limited in colors but that doesn't really matter like you said since it is on the bottom. It also comes in yellow, and various LED colors.
  11. jrwizbang said:
    This fan is wicked quiet, but the air flow is only 40 CFM.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185057

    This fan isn't quite as quiet, but the airflow if 74 CFM.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226042

    The second fan is limited in colors but that doesn't really matter like you said since it is on the bottom. It also comes in yellow, and various LED colors.


    Thank you, I'll probably go with one of the second ones. Just for the bottom of the case. Have heard it might help the intake of the 500D.
  12. No need for a 700W PSU. 620W has plenty of headroom for OCing the CPU and the GPU.
  13. azeem40 said:
    No need for a 700W PSU. 620W has plenty of headroom for OCing the CPU and the GPU.


    Really? even with the NVIDA 680?
  14. Does having a too big of a PSU matter? (if i got an 850W) Heat wise or noise or anything like that?
  15. hopz said:
    Does having a too big of a PSU matter? (if i got an 850W) Heat wise or noise or anything like that?


    heat and noise is dependant on quality of the psu rather than the watts usually. though of course, if you stress the psu, then it will generate heat, but noise is usually quality control
  16. dudewitbow said:
    heat and noise is dependant on quality of the psu rather than the watts usually. though of course, if you stress the psu, then it will generate heat, but noise is usually quality control


    Thanks, thats good to know. There is a good deal with my case (500D) with this PSU. It seems pretty good to me, just a little overkill.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022&Tpk=CORSAIR%20Enthusiast%20Series%20TX850
  17. Having an overkill power supply isn't bad. The only downside is that your electric bill would be a bit higher :P
  18. Best answer selected by Hopz.
  19. Awesome, thank you very much!
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product