I have:
2x 470GTX
i5 760 @3.4ghz

My temps are:

CPU idle 40C
CPU load 60-65c

GPU idle 45-50C
CPU load 80-90C

These Temps seem high to me, or am i being paranoid?

son1c

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
yea i have heard the 470 gets hot but when i saw 90C once after playing a game i was shocked haha, I know SLI wouldnt help either.

How can i reduce the cpu temps?

son1c

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
i gave it a good clean out a couple of months ago, cleaned out all my filters, fans, heat sinks etc.
I built it about 1.5-2 years ago, does thermal compound go off after awhile?
I have one at the front and back and two on the side panel.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I'm guessing the second "CPU load" is a typo and should be GPU load. 90C isn't technically dangerous (max temp is 105C for that model), but it is very high. I have 2x hd5850 and my GPU load temp stays below 75C on both cards.

Are the cards touching, or is there a slot between them? What types for fans do they have?

Your CPU temps are fine.

The H50 isn't that good of a closed-loop system, so I can't expect it to yield great performance to be honest (VERY thin radiator...something like a 212+ would probably perform better).

@ OP, what is your ambient temperature? And is there any dust build up in the radiator?

son1c

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Yea that's a typo haha sorry about that.

There is a slight gap yea, They Are just the stock fans for the gainward cards, There are two fans per card.

son1c

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
The radiator was cleaned out a couple of months ago, by ambient do you mean in my room or actually in my case?

I may try turning both side fans round before re-applying the thermal paste.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

That's at least part of your problem. That fan style takes air from the front of the fan and exhausts it back into the case. Normally it's not a problem as long as you have proper spacing (1 slot between cards) and case exhaust, but your top card is intaking all of your bottom card's hot exhaust.

Yes I mean the room inside your room/case :)

Ambient temperatures = always the base of your CPU/GPU temperature. That is the rule and it can't be broken :lol:

son1c

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Im looking on speedfan, i cant quite work it out lol, but i think my ambient temperature is about 40ish, does that sound right?

That sounds more like your CPU temperature, but I'm guessing your room isn't too hot, right? Probably more around 25C-30C ambient may be more realistic. However, your CPU temps aren't too bad so I wouldn't worry.

son1c

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Been doing some tests today, I played CS:GO for half an hour each time and these are the result:

Before:

GPU 1: 93c
GPU 2: 91c

After I took the card's out and cleaned the heatsink/fans up:

GPU 1: 89c
GPU 2: 86c

Then I swapped the 2 side fans to exhaust:

GPU 1: 89c
GPU 2: 84c

So i'm quite happy with these now, and most of all the fans run sooo much quieter!

Thanks for the advice :D

InvalidError

Titan

Rules can be bent with the use of some sort of below-ambient cooling method... dry ice, phase-change, liquefied gas (which is effectively an open-loop version of phase-change), TEC, etc.

:lol: good point! Though I was meaning more of a 'normal' cooling solution rather than some of the 'exotic' ones out there.

Below-ambient cooling is something I would definitely want to check out in the future, though :)