Where are all the experts...?

zulu

I *still* haven't found out how to change the fonf/bold it/enlarge it in the
*properties* windows...

I *still* need to enlarge the icons at the top right when I open a file...
(Go to last folder visited; Up one level; Create new folder; View menu)

I *still* need to darken the scrollbars (greyed out in
appearences>advanced )and too pale for me to see...
I can change the size but NOT the colour.
I don't want to use another *Theme* as I've spent far too much effort on
THIS one...

I sicerely wish I could lend my ageing eyes to the <deleted> at Microsoft so
tjhat they can UNDERSTAND just how hard it can be :-(((

--
¦ zulu ¦

Resource Guide for Individuals with Visual Difficulties and Impairments
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/guides/vision.aspx#step1

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"zulu" wrote:

| I *still* haven't found out how to change the fonf/bold it/enlarge it in the
| *properties* windows...
|
| I *still* need to enlarge the icons at the top right when I open a file...
| (Go to last folder visited; Up one level; Create new folder; View menu)
|
| I *still* need to darken the scrollbars (greyed out in
| appearences>advanced )and too pale for me to see...
| I can change the size but NOT the colour.
| I don't want to use another *Theme* as I've spent far too much effort on
| THIS one...
|
| I sicerely wish I could lend my ageing eyes to the <deleted> at Microsoft so
| tjhat they can UNDERSTAND just how hard it can be :-(((
|
| --
| ¦ zulu ¦

zulu

Thank you, but i am aware of that guide...

Is there any hope of more direct answers to my problems?
(I'm using a 21 inch monitor, set aat 150% DPI, & most fonts set at 12
Bold, which is fine)

It is really pi$$ing me off that I can't address these particular items.
(Particularly the *Properties* panes.)

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:

| I *still* need to darken the scrollbars (greyed out in
| appearences>advanced )and too pale for me to see...
| I can change the size but NOT the colour.

Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item: 3D Objects
Color 1: <-something-darker->
OK
OK

zulu

Nope. :-(
Nice try, but NO effect whatsoever on the scrollbars.
(Does it affect _yours_?)
Please keep trying....

--
¦ zulu ¦

zulu wrote:
> I *still* haven't found out how to change the fonf/bold it/enlarge it
> in the *properties* windows...
>
> I *still* need to enlarge the icons at the top right when I open a
> file... (Go to last folder visited; Up one level; Create new folder;
> View menu)
> I *still* need to darken the scrollbars (greyed out in
> appearences>advanced )and too pale for me to see...
> I can change the size but NOT the colour.
> I don't want to use another *Theme* as I've spent far too much effort
> on THIS one...
>
> I sicerely wish I could lend my ageing eyes to the <deleted> at
> Microsoft so tjhat they can UNDERSTAND just how hard it can be :-(((

The color of the scrollbars are defined in the theme you are using and
cannot be changed using the appearance options. You may not want to change
to another theme, but you don't have any other options, in this case. Have
you tried using the High Contrast feature in the Accessibility
Options/Display?

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

zulu

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> zulu wrote:
>> I *still* haven't found out how to change the fonf/bold it/enlarge it
>> in the *properties* windows...
>>
>> I *still* need to enlarge the icons at the top right when I open a
>> file... (Go to last folder visited; Up one level; Create new folder;
>> View menu)
>> I *still* need to darken the scrollbars (greyed out in
>> appearences>advanced )and too pale for me to see...
>> I can change the size but NOT the colour.
>> I don't want to use another *Theme* as I've spent far too much effort
>> on THIS one...
>>
>> I sicerely wish I could lend my ageing eyes to the <deleted> at
>> Microsoft so tjhat they can UNDERSTAND just how hard it can be :-(((
>
> The color of the scrollbars are defined in the theme you are using and
> cannot be changed using the appearance options. You may not want to change
> to another theme, but you don't have any other options,

OK, *now* I undersdtand that that is the default.
I don't _really_ want to change themes, as it has taken me forever to get
trhe current one sort of how I want (need!) it.

> in this case. Have you tried using the High Contrast feature in the
> Accessibility Options/Display?
Yes, and I thought it was horrible (sorry!)
I don't like the magnifier either.
....and as for *narrator*, least said, soonest mended!

I will try the third party software suggested by Kenny S.

Zulu you can try a program that is called displayset and it can change
various aspects of the windows interface when its in classic mode:

You can get it here
http://www.electricboom.com/downloads/DISPLSET.ZIP

tell me if it helps

The Appearance tab of Windows's Display Properties dialog has hardly changed
since the original Windows 95. It still uses a cramped preview pane that
shows only a limited subset of the effects of your changes. It still treats
some settings as different when they're actually the same for example, the
typeface and size used for "Active title bar" and "Inactive title bar". And
it doesn't include the ability to modify all the settings that are included
in its own appearance schemes. DisplaySet remedies all of these limitations,
while remaining compatible with the existing Appearance tab. DisplaySet was
written by Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine August 1,
2001 (v20n14). Source code is included.

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Nope. :-(
> Nice try, but NO effect whatsoever on the scrollbars.
> (Does it affect _yours_?)
> Please keep trying....
>
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
>
> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> | I *still* need to darken the scrollbars (greyed out in
>> | appearences>advanced )and too pale for me to see...
>> | I can change the size but NOT the colour.
>>
>> Control Panel
>> Display
>> Appearance
>> Item: 3D Objects
>> Color 1: <-something-darker->
>> OK
>> OK

zulu

Hi Kenny, thanks for that, but the short answer is no, it (*as far as I can
see) does _not_ allow me to darken the scrollbar. :-((

Incidentally, that is a typical example of the sort of interface I can
hardly read, even with the aid of a 3x magnifying glass!

I need ALL fonts to be at least 5mm high (minimum) and BOLD.
My eye condition also makes me nearly colourblind. All colours are light
pastel shades to me now, which is why I am having a problem with the
scrollbars.

I guess I will HAVE to try other themes...
Thanks for your efforts everybody :)
(Don't stop trying though, please!)

--
¦ zulu ¦

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> Zulu you can try a program that is called displayset and it can change
> various aspects of the windows interface when its in classic mode:
>

> You can get it here
> http://www.electricboom.com/downloads/DISPLSET.ZIP
>
> tell me if it helps

> The Appearance tab of Windows's Display Properties dialog has hardly
> changed since the original Windows 95. It still uses a cramped preview
> pane that shows only a limited subset of the effects of your changes. It
> still treats some settings as different when they're actually the same for
> example, the typeface and size used for "Active title bar" and "Inactive
> title bar". And it doesn't include the ability to modify all the settings
> that are included in its own appearance schemes. DisplaySet remedies all
> of these limitations, while remaining compatible with the existing
> Appearance tab. DisplaySet was written by Neil J. Rubenking, and first
> appeared in PC Magazine August 1, 2001 (v20n14). Source code is included.
>

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Nope. :-(
>> Nice try, but NO effect whatsoever on the scrollbars.
>> (Does it affect _yours_?)
>> Please keep trying....
>>
>> --
>> ¦ zulu ¦
>>
>> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Control Panel
>>> Display
>>> Appearance
>>> Item: 3D Objects
>>> Color 1: <-something-darker->
>>> OK
>>> OK

I have not read the threads here but you must know that you can change
colors of scrollbars only if
you are using a CLASSIC theme of xp. I am almost sure you can change the
color of the scrollbar, but I dont have the time now to experiment. If you
are using a "VISUAL STYLE" then you cannot change it
unless you EDIT the MSSTYLE file.

This can be done with a program like this:
http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sb.php

you can find style xp here http://www.tgtsoft.com/

also check out this site for more themes based on visual styles

http://www.themexp.org/

I dont know if this info helps at all....

kanny

> Hi Kenny, thanks for that, but the short answer is no, it (*as far as I
> can see) does _not_ allow me to darken the scrollbar. :-((
>
> Incidentally, that is a typical example of the sort of interface I can
> hardly read, even with the aid of a 3x magnifying glass!
>
> I need ALL fonts to be at least 5mm high (minimum) and BOLD.
> My eye condition also makes me nearly colourblind. All colours are light
> pastel shades to me now, which is why I am having a problem with the
> scrollbars.
>
> I guess I will HAVE to try other themes...
> Thanks for your efforts everybody :)
> (Don't stop trying though, please!)
>

> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
>
> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> Zulu you can try a program that is called displayset and it can change
>> various aspects of the windows interface when its in classic mode:
>>

>> You can get it here
>> http://www.electricboom.com/downloads/DISPLSET.ZIP
>>
>> tell me if it helps

>> The Appearance tab of Windows's Display Properties dialog has hardly
>> changed since the original Windows 95. It still uses a cramped preview
>> pane that shows only a limited subset of the effects of your changes. It
>> still treats some settings as different when they're actually the same
>> for example, the typeface and size used for "Active title bar" and
>> "Inactive title bar". And it doesn't include the ability to modify all
>> the settings that are included in its own appearance schemes. DisplaySet
>> remedies all of these limitations, while remaining compatible with the
>> existing Appearance tab. DisplaySet was written by Neil J. Rubenking, and
>> first appeared in PC Magazine August 1, 2001 (v20n14). Source code is
>> included.
>>

>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Nope. :-(
>>> Nice try, but NO effect whatsoever on the scrollbars.
>>> (Does it affect _yours_?)
>>> Please keep trying....
>>>
>>> --
>>> ¦ zulu ¦
>>>
>>> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

zulu

Hi again Kenny :)

>I have not read the threads here but you must know

Why *must* I know...

that you can change
> colors of scrollbars only if
> you are using a CLASSIC theme of xp.

Well, I do now!

I am almost sure you can change the
> color of the scrollbar, but I dont have the time now to experiment. If you
> are using a "VISUAL STYLE" then you cannot change it
> unless you EDIT the MSSTYLE file.
> This can be done with a program like this:
> http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sb.php
>
> you can find style xp here http://www.tgtsoft.com/
>
> also check out this site for more themes based on visual styles
>
> http://www.themexp.org/

I'll try that :)

> I dont know if this info helps at all....
>
> kanny

This is all getting FAR too hairy for me.
I'm gettting to the point where I am going to toss the whole bloody lot out
of the window.
Most of things I need to get into to adjust things I just can't read.
Sorry, but I am too pi$$ed off and tired to do more at the moment (It's
bedtime here in the UK)

Hopefully, I'll be in a better frame of mind tomorrow.......
:/)

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Kenny, thanks for that, but the short answer is no, it (*as far as I
>> can see) does _not_ allow me to darken the scrollbar. :-((
>>
>> Incidentally, that is a typical example of the sort of interface I can
>> hardly read, even with the aid of a 3x magnifying glass!
>>
>> I need ALL fonts to be at least 5mm high (minimum) and BOLD.
>> My eye condition also makes me nearly colourblind. All colours are light
>> pastel shades to me now, which is why I am having a problem with the
>> scrollbars.
>>
>> I guess I will HAVE to try other themes...
>> Thanks for your efforts everybody :)
>> (Don't stop trying though, please!)
>>

>> --
>> ¦ zulu ¦
>>
>> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Zulu you can try a program that is called displayset and it can change
>>> various aspects of the windows interface when its in classic mode:
>>>

>>> You can get it here
>>> http://www.electricboom.com/downloads/DISPLSET.ZIP
>>>
>>> tell me if it helps

>>> The Appearance tab of Windows's Display Properties dialog has hardly
>>> changed since the original Windows 95. It still uses a cramped preview
>>> pane that shows only a limited subset of the effects of your changes. It
>>> still treats some settings as different when they're actually the same
>>> for example, the typeface and size used for "Active title bar" and
>>> "Inactive title bar". And it doesn't include the ability to modify all
>>> the settings that are included in its own appearance schemes. DisplaySet
>>> remedies all of these limitations, while remaining compatible with the
>>> existing Appearance tab. DisplaySet was written by Neil J. Rubenking,
>>> and first appeared in PC Magazine August 1, 2001 (v20n14). Source code
>>> is included.
>>>

>>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

| > "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote
| >> NO effect whatsoever on the scrollbars.
| >> (Does it affect _yours_?)

<snip>

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
| Hi Kenny, thanks for that, but the short answer is no, it (*as far as I can
| see) does _not_ allow me to darken the scrollbar. :-((
|
| Incidentally, that is a typical example of the sort of interface I can
| hardly read, even with the aid of a 3x magnifying glass!
|
| I need ALL fonts to be at least 5mm high (minimum) and BOLD.
| My eye condition also makes me nearly colourblind. All colours are light
| pastel shades to me now, which is why I am having a problem with the
| scrollbars.
|
| I guess I will HAVE to try other themes...
| Thanks for your efforts everybody :)
| (Don't stop trying though, please!)

Hi Zulu,

YES, Item: 3D Objects does affect my scrollbars, in the Classic Theme.
I suggest you switch to Classic Theme and change every font setting to
bold and a larger size, as well as Color 1: of 3D Objects.