I5 3570k for gaming for the next 3-4years?

dansgas1000

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hello guys and i am getting a new rig soon. It needs to be future proof i know now only i5 is needed to max out games but what about in 3 years time? I want an i5 3570k in 3-4years time to still max out games, is this possible? Or should i get a i7 2600k.

Thanks guys, ofc i will get a Hyper 212 evo, 612S cooler and OC to 4-2.2GHz :)

Nobody can accurately predict how long anything is "future proof", but I will say in 3 years, I highly doubt you will see many games that support HyperThreading. Games still have to worry about using 4 physical cores in a quad, before worrying about using the theoretical ones from HyperThreading. Even a lot of games now that use a quad, don't use it that well. Skyrim for example uses 2 cores, and lightly utilizes 2 other cores (if you have em).

Consoles are retarding the evolution of PC gaming, for the simple fact that they're "cheaper". Although, I'm not sure they are considering every person I've known with an Xbox 360 has had to buy more than one of them thanks to RROD. Hell, my stepbrother has had 4 or 5 of them.

At any rate, game makers for PC aren't really going to really ramp up their evolution any time soon, since if they did that, they couldn't stay competitive against the console market. They could do games now that would require quad GTX 670s SLi and really amaze the hell out of you, but the games would just cost too much to the the consumer not only from the required system setup, but the game itself would cost a lot.

dansgas1000

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Ok thank you for your detailednawnser, sonwhat your saying is i should go for a 3570k?

+1

I highly agree, the 3570k won't have any trouble playing games in the next 3-4 years, and as nekulturny has said, I highly doubt games will be even able to utilise HyperThreading in the near future.

dansgas1000

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Ok but will i5 be enough for: web browing, google sketchup, word ?

dansgas1000

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Ok but will i5 be enough for: web browing, google sketchup, word ?

"Future proof forever" LOL! Couldn't agree more :lol:

The 3570K for running MS office is pretty much future proof forever lol. Web browsing, eh, I have a 10 year old computer with a Pentium 4 that can still web browse.

dansgas1000

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah. Dont know why i said that laugh ut loud. But will it be good for havy models in google sketchup?

No not really, but I thought it was funny.

But in all seriousness. Yes a PC you build today, if all you did with it was run MS office 2010.. It will last you forever lol. If you play the same games you play today, well same deal there. Its when you're constantly updating your game library with new games that have higher specs that throw future proofing out the window.

Most games are limited more by the GPU than the CPU.

Can the i5-3570k last 3 - 4 years for games. Yes, but it depends on how much performance you demand 3 or 4 years later. My Q9450 is over 4 years old, but it still have sufficient performance that I will wait for Haswell before upgrading again. I may even wait until Broadwell comes out in 2016. By then the Q9450 will be 6 years old.

InvalidError

Titan

I bet feature creep and bloat will guarantee that 'forever' won't be quite as far in the future as people might imagine. If not due to processing power, quite possibly due to RAM requirements.

My P3 used to be quite zippy with Win98SE and Fedora-9 but isn't quite so fast with Ubuntu 10.10 or Fedora-15 due to bloat. Makes me feel like the old geek pride of Linux distributions being leaner and faster is fading away quickly.

TRENDING THREADS