Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim Lag on GTX 460 1GB SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 25, 2012 1:01:41 PM

I Recently brought a new SLI ready motherboard and a second GTX 1GB 460 so that I can run Skyrim on Ultra at 60FPS.

However I get major lag spikes, and the game hardly ever runs at 60fps, especially in outdoor areas, skyrim drops to 15/20fps.

When indoors, It stays around 30-50fps and occasionally drops even lower. Really annoying seeing as I spent so much on a new motherboard, 2nd GPU and new Power supply.

Its a fresh install of skyrim with no mods. I have the latest Drivers from nvidia... If you can look at my specs below and suggest what might be causing my issues, or any known reasons with skyrim in particular.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHz

MB: Asus M5a99x EVO AM3+

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1GB SLI

RAM: G.Skill 2x2GB (4GB) DDR3 1333MHz

PSU: Corsair HX850 850W

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 5400RPM

Thank You

UPDATE: I'm the biggest fool. Was looking around in control panel to see if anything was odd, and I stumbled across Power Management.

The damn thing was set to power saving, so I've changed that to high performance and guess what?
All the lag has now gone.

Thanks for all the help, ended up just me being stupid. :D 

a b Î Nvidia
February 25, 2012 1:18:30 PM

You could be pushing your ram limit , alt control delete while you are playing the game and see if your ram is topping out , upgrading your ram to 8 gb can help in some games.
a b Î Nvidia
February 25, 2012 1:32:08 PM

Skyrim does depends on the cpu frequency. Even the top of the line cpu can still bottleneck a single gpu. Your best bet would be to get an aftermarket cooler and overclock you cpu. Make sure you also have the latest patch for skyrim and latest drivers
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
February 25, 2012 1:32:38 PM

O.C your CPU a bit to 3.75/4.0 Ghz?
February 25, 2012 2:46:22 PM

These tests are taken at 1080p, all maxed, with a GTX 580 (currently about the SLI GTX 460 performance)
As per the benchmark, even if you OC your CPU you couldn't reach a nice fps, you would need a core i5 to do it.
But fear not, after you OC your CPU you shall gain ~5 fps in performance.

February 25, 2012 3:55:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Would never have thought it to be my frequency until now. I already have a good aftermarket cpu cooler, so i'll get going on an overclock.

To reach 4GHz, what frequency multiplier and voltage would you recommend I need to increase it to.

Thanks guys
February 25, 2012 4:12:24 PM

stinkycheese said:
Thanks for the feedback. Would never have thought it to be my frequency until now. I already have a good aftermarket cpu cooler, so i'll get going on an overclock.

To reach 4GHz, what frequency multiplier and voltage would you recommend I need to increase it to.

Thanks guys

In my experience with my Deneb Phenom II x4 B55 anything past 3.6ghz yield decreasing gains to the point were 3.7ghz is the sweet spot there really is no difference in Skyrim after 3.7ghz but you might want to give it a try being your CPU is a real 955 and mine was a crippled B55 but I cant see a gain of more than 1fps on the min after 3.7ghz and I would not mess with overvolting for a menial gain.
a b Î Nvidia
February 26, 2012 11:03:39 AM

stinkycheese said:

Thanks guys

225Mhz Base Clock, 18x Multiplier. Remember make sure your system is stable first, try doing tests such as Prime 95 (note it may need voltage adjustment, not really though). Also another suspect is maybe your HDD is too slow, an upgrade to SSD would be appropriate :) . However, You don't have to do it 4GHz I think, your best is probably 217.5Mhz with 18x Multiplier (I don't think this need any voltage adjustment) :) .
February 26, 2012 11:48:31 AM

I have dual 5850 CF with a i7 2600k and i always get 50fps even at max seettings.I am even using older drivers.
a b Î Nvidia
February 26, 2012 11:53:09 AM

Phenom II can hardly be compared to the 2600k. That's a different tier cpu. The 2600k is top tier
February 26, 2012 11:55:26 AM

EzioAs said:
Phenom II can hardly be compared to the 2600k. That's a different tier cpu. The 2600k is top tier

Just stating my situation buddy.
It might mean he might have a bottleneck.
February 26, 2012 3:17:00 PM

I doubt its your CPU speed. You're most likely pushing the limits of your VRAM. As you probably know SLI doesn't "share" VRAM demands the same way it does GPU related tasks. You basically have 1GB total, the same as with a single card. With the HD Textures they introduced a few weeks ago I'm almost maxing my single GTX 460's 1GB frame buffer just using the Ultra preset with shadows dropped down to High and AA dropped down to 4X. This is at just 1680x1050 as well. Still, at those settings with my X4 955 @ 3.6 Ghz and the current Nvidia 295.79 drivers I'm staying pretty much at 40-60 FPS indoors and outdoors. If I try to use 8X AA and "Ultra" shadows within a few minutes its stuttering and my VRAM is filled to capacity (verified with Afterburner). So basically, even with SLI you're going to probably have to back off a few quality settings to stay smooth.
February 26, 2012 4:29:40 PM

Thanks everyone.

I overclocked my CPU to 3.7GHz just for the sake of it, and saw a marginal improvement... Which is better than nothing.

Have turned everything to High with 2xAA & FXAA. Much smoother now.

I guess skyrim is just badly optimized.

Is there an AMD cpu that matches the 2500k for example? I just brought a new AM3+ motherboard, so I can't swap to Intel at the moment.

Thanks
a b Î Nvidia
February 26, 2012 7:10:59 PM

the phenom II x6 1100t and fx8150 is pretty close on gaming to the 2500k but is about 10% lower in performance
a b Î Nvidia
February 27, 2012 1:28:30 AM

The best AMD gaming CPU is probably X4 980, Better than FX-8150 because games does not use 8 cores. So sad AMD makes it 8, they suppose to be shrinking Phenom II and call it 'Phenom III' before games actually use 8 cores :( . Both X4 980 and FX-8150 is slower than i5-2500k, but you should really wait for Piledriver :)  (Vishera).

Here is the performance table

You see it only beats i3-2100, not i5-2400 or i5-2500k :) . Can be Overclocked though, but still not worth it as you can wait for Piledriver later this year.
!