Dual ATI HD 2900XT 1gb Warning/error

d2freak82

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Alright I just installed a bunch of new stuff in my computer, the performance has been okay even with the stupid warning I'm getting, but it is super annoying and frustrating to get it.

When windows boots I get a performance warning that pops up that says " Your graphics board may not be properly supported by the computer's power supply. The clock speeds have been decreased to reduce the power consumption. This may result in slower than expected application performance. Please make sure the appropriate power supply cables are connected to the graphics board."

A few things about my system, I just upgraded the psu. I went on a site with psu calculator punched in all the stuff I had (or would have) in my system. It came up with needing around 520-540 watts or something with a minimum of 400 and whatever. I bought an Antec 650watt PSU to compensate...... so in theory I should have the power

There are 2 connectors on each card, 1 6pin, and 1 8 pin. I know to use AMD overdrive you need the 8pin, and my psu has 2x 8 pin connectors (has a seperate 2 pin to connect with the 6). Since I got this error I tried both, I connected the 8pin to start on both cards, which works fine minus the warning. If I connect the 6 pin when I turn on the computer the fans are turning SUPER fast and I get a system beep error. So I'm left with leaving it on the 8pin.
Originally I also had both crossfire bridges connected, I have since taken one off.... but I haven't seen any change since removing or having the other on.

I just want my cards to run what they should out of the box, not looking to overclock.

Oh ya I have one case fan currently (120mm) I have another on it's way, just wanna be safe in keeping everything cool in there. I can give temps and such from AMD overdrive monitor if needed.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
yes since you have 2 cards.. unless you want to use an adapter to convert a molex connection...

But imo, if you can return the PSU, i would exchange 1 for 750w with the correct connectors..

2 cards at 200+ wattts =400+
1 cpu... dont know yours but lets put 100w
Motherboard, etc... 75+ watts

you are very close to 600watts...

diec4st

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
You should have taken the Earthwatts 750, it has 4x 6+2 pin connectors. I would suggest taking one of the 2900's out for now. Anyways, those are outdated, power hungry and bad perfoming cards. You should sell them and get a single recent card.

d2freak82

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
why would it still be laggy?
I had a single Nvidia 1gb previous to this, 2x 1gb should be an upgrade? 16gb RAM, my system shouldn't have any trouble... I bought these cards because of their price picked both up for 125$ I think. I can only run crossfire on my board or I would've added another nvidia

diec4st

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

and draw like 5 times less power :p

d2freak82

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
alright well I guess when I'm ready for new cards I will post here first lol kinda sucks but I for some reason wanted to run dual cards

I mostly play wow, and will probably play d3 when it comes out, I would think it would handle those

diec4st

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
If you have a good CPU (which is pretty much the limiting factor for both these games and getting a better GPU than 6870 wouldn't change much) then I'm pretty sure you can max both games. Believe me that card is a great performer for the price.