Msi 560 ti hawk random black screens

My computer keeps making these black screens, it's been doing that for months. I had my msi 560 ti hawk RMA'd a week ago and when it came back it still does the same thing. I tried reseating the card, reinstalling the driver, reinstalling windows and I tried a different graphics card and the other graphics card didn't seem to give me random black screens. How can I fix this?
6 answers Last reply
More about hawk random black screens
  1. Are you sure your PSU is providing enough power? Have you run a memtest?

An inadequate/failing PSU seems like it'd be the source of your problem. Faulty memory could possibly be a source of error but given the type of problem it doesn't sound like it. There's also a chance that your PCI-e port is somehow not providing enough bandwidth or something like that, though it'd be difficult to determine whether or not that's the case.
  2. post your specs for better help
  3. PudgyChicken said:
    Are you sure your PSU is providing enough power? Have you run a memtest?

An inadequate/failing PSU seems like it'd be the source of your problem. Faulty memory could possibly be a source of error but given the type of problem it doesn't sound like it. There's also a chance that your PCI-e port is somehow not providing enough bandwidth or something like that, though it'd be difficult to determine whether or not that's the case.

Yes, I believe I have enough power 850W PSU and I'm not in sli. I tried a memtest using OCCT, came up with 0 errors.
    PCI-e port?

firo40 said:
    post your specs for better help

I have:
    Coolermaster Sniper Black AMD Dragon Platform case
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    OCZ ZX Series 850W ATX12V
    MB ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68 LGA1155 R
    MSI 560GTX-TI HAWK 1G
    MEM 4Gx2 GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
    1tb western digital caviar green

When I looked into my device manager I noticed I have 1 unknown device with an ! beside it, a pci simple communications controller and 2 USB controller that also have ! beside it. All my USB ports work should I be worried about the ! beside it in device manager?
    and does having an unknown device cause the problem?
  4. Have you tried going to asus's website and getting the latest motherboard drivers and bios version?
  5. firo40 said:
    Have you tried going to asus's website and getting the latest motherboard drivers and bios version?

yes I tried that and it still does the same thing.
  6. Just wondering if I were to change the PCI-e port would on a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68 could that fix the problem? right now it's in the blue slot on that motherboard should I be using a different one?
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Computer Graphics Cards Graphics MSI-Microstar