Sign in with
Your question

Msi 560 ti hawk random black screens

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 25, 2012 3:42:48 PM

My computer keeps making these black screens, it's been doing that for months. I had my msi 560 ti hawk RMA'd a week ago and when it came back it still does the same thing. I tried reseating the card, reinstalling the driver, reinstalling windows and I tried a different graphics card and the other graphics card didn't seem to give me random black screens. How can I fix this?
February 25, 2012 5:19:19 PM

Are you sure your PSU is providing enough power? Have you run a memtest?

An inadequate/failing PSU seems like it'd be the source of your problem. Faulty memory could possibly be a source of error but given the type of problem it doesn't sound like it. There's also a chance that your PCI-e port is somehow not providing enough bandwidth or something like that, though it'd be difficult to determine whether or not that's the case.

a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 5:42:29 PM

post your specs for better help
Related resources
February 25, 2012 6:12:27 PM

PudgyChicken said:
Are you sure your PSU is providing enough power? Have you run a memtest?

An inadequate/failing PSU seems like it'd be the source of your problem. Faulty memory could possibly be a source of error but given the type of problem it doesn't sound like it. There's also a chance that your PCI-e port is somehow not providing enough bandwidth or something like that, though it'd be difficult to determine whether or not that's the case.

Yes, I believe I have enough power 850W PSU and I'm not in sli. I tried a memtest using OCCT, came up with 0 errors.
PCI-e port?

firo40 said:
post your specs for better help

I have:
Coolermaster Sniper Black AMD Dragon Platform case
Intel Core i7 2600K
OCZ ZX Series 850W ATX12V
MB ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68 LGA1155 R
MSI 560GTX-TI HAWK 1G
MEM 4Gx2 GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
1tb western digital caviar green

When I looked into my device manager I noticed I have 1 unknown device with an ! beside it, a pci simple communications controller and 2 USB controller that also have ! beside it. All my USB ports work should I be worried about the ! beside it in device manager?
and does having an unknown device cause the problem?
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 6:43:42 PM

Have you tried going to asus's website and getting the latest motherboard drivers and bios version?
February 25, 2012 7:03:36 PM

firo40 said:
Have you tried going to asus's website and getting the latest motherboard drivers and bios version?

yes I tried that and it still does the same thing.
March 1, 2012 3:06:30 AM

Just wondering if I were to change the PCI-e port would on a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68 could that fix the problem? right now it's in the blue slot on that motherboard should I be using a different one?
!