Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Video card for my new build.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 25, 2012 5:46:43 PM

Hello there,
I'm about to buy everything for my new build, and i'm still hesitating on the graphic card.
I'd be willing to pay 200-300$ CAN for it.
The card will be used for gaming. I love mmorpgs, and i'd like it to take everything I toss at it without any trouble. I play World of Warcraft, League of Legends and i'm waiting for Guild Wars 2 and Diablo III.

My build's gonna be:

Processor: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Hard drive: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Memory: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Power supply: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Heatsink/fan: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

Even if I linked Newegg, I might buy either on http://www.directcanada.com/ or on http://www.newegg.ca/ because i'm Canadian.

I plan on overclocking, but not on SLI/Crossfire.
And finally, my monitor resolition is 1600x900.

If you got any question, go ahead. ^^

More about : video card build

February 25, 2012 6:11:51 PM

We have a similar build going, The card I'm going to use is this one here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is more on the expensive side because it has 448 core processors which has it runing at about 99% the power of the GTX 570, which is one of the best GPU's out there.

If that is too much for you go with another videocard with the GTX 560 Ti GPU in I would recomend this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
February 25, 2012 6:16:34 PM

for that resolution i would say 6870 (around $150)would be best bang for your buck and it would run most game at high setting.
Score
0
Related resources
February 25, 2012 6:39:40 PM

I might be getting a new monitor in 1-2 years. I might want to get a card that will offer good performance for a higher resolution anyways.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 6:44:07 PM

7850/7870 are about to be released too, I would personally wait and get a 2gb version of the 7850 or the 7870 if the price is right when released ;) 
Score
0
February 25, 2012 6:53:18 PM

Do you have an idea of what the price of those will be when released? I don't want to go over like 300-315$.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 6:57:33 PM

219.99 (1gb) / 249.99 (2gb) for the 7850 and 299.99 for the 7870 (those are not official prices though)
Score
0

Best solution

February 25, 2012 7:22:59 PM

The games you described aren't that graphic intensive but if you want to be able to play other games as well than your best option between that price range is my favourite card the GTX 560Ti which is a very solid card and has a big headroom for overclocking. Aside from that, performance wise it is better for its price than all competition such as the Radeon HD 6870 and I'd even recommend it for its stability when comparing with the Radeon HD 6950.

Here is the one I think is good:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

There is also a 2GB version from MSI but I'm not so sure about its quality in comparison to EVGA but here it is anyways:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

It has an after-market cooler that seems to be very good.
Share
February 25, 2012 7:29:14 PM

Akhilcool said:
The games you described aren't that graphic intensive but if you want to be able to play other games as well than your best option between that price range is my favourite card the GTX 560Ti which is a very solid card and has a big headroom for overclocking. Aside from that, performance wise it is better for its price than all competition such as the Radeon HD 6870 and I'd even recommend it for its stability when comparing with the Radeon HD 6950.

Here is the one I think is good:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

There is also a 2GB version from MSI but I'm not so sure about its quality in comparison to EVGA but here it is anyways:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

It has an after-market cooler that seems to be very good.


What is the big difference between that one you mentionned and this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... ?
Score
0
February 25, 2012 7:30:56 PM

I wouldn't bother waiting especially if you don't even know the prices. -_- come on guys OP needs a card and doesn't need to waste his time if in a month or more the card comes out and it is over his budget. You can't go wrong with a 560 Ti.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 7:36:18 PM

Doomer3003 said:
What is the big difference between that one you mentionned and this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... ?


Oh I didn't see that one. That is a 448 processor core GPU compared to the 384 processor core one that I mentioned. It also comes with a Batman Arkham City coupon :na:  Either way however, I would advise you not to buy a reference design card as the cooling tends to suck. The MSI one might be a better option as it will give you more headroom for overclocking. It also has 2GB of ram as opposed to 1280MB in the one you posted. Finally the rating for the one you listed is low so I don't know whether to trust the card or not. The MSI one and the other EVGA one are 5 eggs solid. :) 
Score
0
February 25, 2012 7:40:48 PM

If however you know how to remove the cooler of your card, if you buy the reference design cards, they are usually compatible with after market GPU coolers that you can buy separately. You can attach those as they are often really, really good for cooling. In that case I'd buy the the one you listed and just exchange the cooler. It will get you more processor cores and headroom for overclocking. If you don't want to bother than you can scratch that.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 7:47:39 PM

Doomer3003 said:
Well, I guess i'm gonna go with http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6814127608. You've been a great help everyone, thanks!

I just got a last question. Any of you ever bought on http://www.directcanada.com/ ?
The prices AND the shipping seems better than the canadian newegg.

Nah I go directly to TigerDirect's store and don't pay shipping at all. :D  But if you find it cheaper at DirectCanada then go for it.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 7:47:46 PM

Well these guys have good suggestions but, My recommendation is gonna be if you need a card now, the best card for that range is gonna be AMD 6950 1GB, if you want NVIDIA anything above a GTX 560 ti is gonna be over kill. but also its worth a wait to see kepler. You can always get a GTX 560 ti now, and sell it and get a more kick @$$ card for the money when NVIDIA's new line is out. Right now is the worst time to buy NVIDIA cards for the reason that prices for the 500 series are not killer good, and kepler isnt here like it was promised months ago. While AMD is releasing cards regularly now.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 7:49:29 PM

AznCracker said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

cheaper plus free game! dunno if you qualify for rebate though

use coupon code SWF56056
to knock another 40 off

It's cheap because it's crap and has a bad cooler. Aside from that the Zotac brand isn't reliable and it is probably worth $190 without the game.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 7:53:15 PM

Rockdpm said:
Well these guys have good suggestions but, My recommendation is gonna be if you need a card now, the best card for that range is gonna be AMD 6950 1GB, if you want NVIDIA anything above a GTX 560 ti is gonna be over kill. but also its worth a wait to see kepler. You can always get a GTX 560 ti now, and sell it and get a more kick @$$ card for the money when NVIDIA's new line is out. Right now is the worst time to buy NVIDIA cards for the reason that prices for the 500 series are not killer good, and kepler isnt here like it was promised months ago. While AMD is releasing cards regularly now.

Very true yet the there are very few 6950's left on sites because of the 7950's starting to replace them. And the 7950 themselves are way over OP's budget. The Kepler would be a long wait so why bother if your not even sure of what prices a similar performance 600 series card has in comparison to a 560 Ti.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 8:15:31 PM

Thanks a bunch everyone for your suggestions. You've been a great help! ^^
Score
0
February 25, 2012 8:15:43 PM

Best answer selected by Doomer3003.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 8:22:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!