Sign in with
Your question

First Build - Mid/High End Gaming PC - Please advise

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2012 6:02:34 AM

Hi everyone! This is my first endeavor into PC building, and I'd like to get this right the first time. Looking for a bit of expert advice to critique my first iteration of component choices. First, the vitals:

Approximate Purchase Date: next week or two

Budget Range: 1000-1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, MS Office

Parts Not Required: Already own mouse/keyboard and dual monitors using DVI

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel CPUs, open to suggestions for all other components

Overclocking: Not initially, but likely in the future. (Does my current selection allow me to do this? Looks to me like it does...)

SLI or Crossfire: Not initially, possibly in the future. Could be persuaded either way.

Monitor Resolution: 1900x1200

Additional Comments:
*Expect this to be a "forward-compatible" machine. Expect to play newly released games (Diablo III, Guild Wars II) at max settings, slowly dial back over the next few years as necessary, and be able to upgrade certain parts at minimal cost after 4-5 years.

*Plan to run SSD Boot / HDD Storage setup. Will likely store 1-2 most commonly played games on SSD along with MS Office (that will probably fill it up).

*Did not choose an optical drive. I already buy all games via digital distribution. I plan to install OS via USB and will get drivers on the web. Any reason I would need one?

*Would like both Bluetooth and Wireless internet capability.

*I've selected components to have Crossfire support, but am unsure if this is the way to go. Two high end video cards does not fit my budget at the moment (but maybe adding a second in a few years is a smart way to upgrade cheaply?)

*I chose the case for it's cable management, but also to be able to upgrade to water cooling in the future if I choose. I may try aftermarket fans for OC'ing first...

*Key feedback I'm looking for is A) Is everything compatible and B) Did I choose components that are about on the same level (i.e. Will I have any bottlenecks or underutilized components?) Is there a feature or set of features I am not taking advantage of, but should be?

*I may have gone a bit overboard on the PSU...seems steep. Thoughts?

Here is a link to my current wishlist on Newegg. Thank you in advance for all your helpful feedback.

May 2, 2012 6:24:12 AM
!