Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon 1900XT Heatsink and Parts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 25, 2012 7:37:32 PM

Hello,

This is my first post on these forums. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem that I have with my graphics card. So, here's what happening:

A while ago, we removed the heatsink from our ATI Radeon 1900xt 512mb GDDR3 graphics card in order to set it up with water cooling. The water cooling was great for a while, but it started to have some problems and we never ended up setting it up again. So, I am left with a graphics card without a heatsink on it that has been lying around for a while. I am wanting to now put the regular heatsink on it, but I am missing a few pieces. I am missing most of the screws and the metal X clamp that fits on the bottom of the card for support. Is it possible to find some screws that will fit and attach it without the clamp? Are there any GPU heatsinks that you can recommend? And is it worth it to spend $50 buying a new heatsink for the card, when it is quite old?

I have attached some pictures of the card from the internet, showing the clamp and screws (which I am missing)

Thank you for your help in advance!

a c 358 U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 9:00:29 PM

No, it's not really worth it. For around $50 you can buy a new card that has similar performance and also consumes less power.

The problem is that you most likely have an old motherboard with a PCI-e 1.0 slot. A PCI-e 2.0 card will work fine in that slot, but some motherboards have issues with a PCI-e 2.1 card (All Radeon HD 6000 series cards and most remaining Radeon HD 5000 series cards).

The current Radeon HD 7000 series are PCI-e 3.0 cards, but most people you buys that card will most likely have a motherboard with a PCI-e 2.0 slot. Will it work in a PCI-e 1.0 slot? Yes, technically it should, but there can potentially be issues with some PCI-e 1.0 motherboards.

All current nVidia cards are still PCI-e 2.0 cards so any of them should work fine with your motherboard.

For reference, an old Radeon HD 4670 would be equivalent to or slightly faster than the old X1900XT. The GeForce GT 240 is probably slightly faster than the HD 4670.

I have a rather dated GeForce 9600GT (came out a few months before the HD 4670) in my home theater PC and it is the most powerful of the 4 video cards I've mentioned.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2012 9:26:23 PM

Thanks for the response. My motherboard is a Asus P5W DH deluxe, and I also have a Asus P5QL Pro
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 9:43:45 PM

Asus does not list the "P5W DH deluxe" on their website.

The good new is that the Asus P5QL Pro has a PCI-e 2.0 slot. Therefore, you are basically free to install any card you want in that slot include Radeon HD 7000 series PCI-e 3.0 cards.

Currently there are no HD 7000 cards selling for $50. The recently released HD 7750 ($110) is much more powerful than the old X1900XT. The power consumption between the two cards is staggering. The X1900XT consumes around 110w - 120w, while the more advanced and powerful HD 7750 consumes around 46w; it doesn't even need an additional power connection.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 9:46:07 PM

BTW, I had a X1900XT, unfortunately it died back in 2009 so I replaced it with a HD 5850.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 10:06:13 PM

you can make it work all you need to do is get some bolts that obviously fit thru the holes that are drilled thru the pcb and hsf assembly next thing u need to do is get some washers eg 1 inch, or even some decent size bits of sheet metal with holes drilled to fit the bolts to spread the weight of the load imposed by clamping down on the hsf. most importantly with this setup is that you have to insulate the washers or metal from the pcb using some rubber washers or plenty of electrical tape wrapping around it as u dont want to pierce the isulator with the solder points as you may end up with a 1900xt paper weight. it really is very simple just make sure you do as said above shouldnt take more than 10 minutes to do, make sure u remember the thermal paste!
m
l
!