Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Selecting PSU

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2012 6:54:57 AM

Hello,

I really in trouble for the psu selection between the Corsair 850wAx or Corsair 1200wAX.
I am going to overclock my processor, graphic card ,Liquid cooling for processor and also going to use many fans for the cooling system.

Configuration-

Processor :- i5 760 @4GHz (overclocked) with Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling

Graphic Card :- GTX 690 (manually overclocked)/EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked+(manually overclocking as well)

RAM :- 8GB (4x2GB) DRR3 @1333Mhz

HDD :-1TB IDE Seagate 7200rpm

Drive:- Sony DVD+RW Multi layer drive

Cabinet:-Corsair Graphite 600T White edition
>5x120mm fan set to highest rpm of fan all time
>200mm White LED fan highest rpm all time
>Integrated fan controller for controlling fans upto 4 fan limit.

3 USB ports are always used in which 2 are used for keyboard and mouse and 1 for 3D vision emitter.

System is used for gaming in 3D vision mode only.

System will be mostly working continuously for 3-4 days.

So please recommend me a psu for this system among Corsair 1200w Ax or 850w Ax.

If possible then a UPS as well.

More about : selecting psu

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 1:23:22 PM

Typical system power consumption on i5 760 OC to 4.0Ghz = 204W you got a bunch more fans so lets add 30W to be safe =234W
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom...

GTX 680 = 170stock to 225w max
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...

GTX 690 = 300 stock to 375W theoretical max TDP
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-690-gk1...

My rule of thumb is not push the PSU over 85-90% of its max rated this allows for surge and such

234+225+375=634W

85% of 850w is 722W

this is all total power that I quoted most of it is +12v with some of the CPU being +3.3v and HDD being +5v. both PSU's can supply plenty of all voltages.

so the 850w will run it just fine, but if you think you ever might go for 2x 690's then you might need more than that.
May 2, 2012 2:33:47 PM

jerreddredd said:
Typical system power consumption on i5 760 OC to 4.0Ghz = 204W you got a bunch more fans so lets add 30W to be safe =234W
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom...

GTX 680 = 170stock to 225w max
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...

GTX 690 = 300 stock to 375W theoretical max TDP
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-690-gk1...

My rule of thumb is not push the PSU over 85-90% of its max rated this allows for surge and such

234+225+375=634W

85% of 850w is 722W

this is all total power that I quoted most of it is +12v with some of the CPU being +3.3v and HDD being +5v. both PSU's can supply plenty of all voltage.

so the 850w will run it just fine, but if you think you ever might go for 2x 690's then you might need more than that.

You have added the results of 680,690 and processor giving me the output which I don't understand at all why did you did this ?Will you please explain me in detailed form.

This is what the psu calculator is calculating for me (by extreme power supply calculator):-

80% load -
780 W

With full load with addon 1 card pcie,1 HDD ,6 USB ports usage:-
948W
Is this psu calculator reliable for the approximation guess correctly or should add more to the values obtained?

Using 2x680 SLI is less then or equivalent to 1x690 so the real problem is that if I add some components later on 850 will it become less for the extra components or to make it more secure I should go with 1200W but if I go with it then I think so it will be having more extra watts.

The 690 thread was opened by my comment only and already gone with both the threads.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 2:40:24 PM

You would be fine with the 850w, BUT... Those are both solid power supplies and will live through the life of more than one build. If you are OK with the price of the 1200w, know you have a moderately large power requirements, and want some overhead for futher upgrades... then that is the PSU for you.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 5:40:10 PM

aviral said:
You have added the results of 680,690 and processor giving me the output which I don't understand at all why did you did this ?Will you please explain me in detailed form.

mmmm because you listed both as GPU's - thought you wer trying some weird tri SLI setup :o 

Quote:

This is what the psu calculator is calculating for me (by extreme power supply calculator):-

80% load -
780 W

948W
Is this psu calculator reliable for the approximation guess correctly or should add more to the values obtained?

PSU calculators are rubbish! They always get you way more PSU than you need. As long as you buy a quality PSU that actually performs at specs.

Quote:
Using 2x680 SLI is less then or equivalent to 1x690 so the real problem is that if I add some components later on 850 will it become less for the extra components or to make it more secure I should go with 1200W but if I go with it then I think so it will be having more extra watts.

no the 680's x2 will be 240W to 450w, where a single 690 is 300w with max TDP of 375w

Quote:
The 690 thread was opened by my comment only and already gone with both the threads.

huh?
m
l
May 2, 2012 7:40:53 PM

jerreddredd said:
mmmm because you listed both as GPU's - thought you wer trying some weird tri SLI setup :o 

Quote:

80% load -
780 W

948W

PSU calculators are rubbish! They always get you way more PSU than you need. As long as you buy a quality PSU that actually performs at specs.

Quote:

no the 680's x2 will be 240W to 450w, where a single 690 is 300w with max TDP of 375w

Quote:

huh?

Yes, I was so confused on that comment with 590 as dedicated graphic card and 680 as physx card.Really funny or say really crazy. :) 
Will you please recommend me UPS also for only cpu because I have other one for the Monitor.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2012 8:51:19 AM

aviral said:
Yes, I was so confused on that comment with 590 as dedicated graphic card and 680 as physx card.Really funny or say really crazy. :) 
Will you please recommend me UPS also for only cpu because I have other one for the Monitor.

I am running this one on my gaming rig (in my SIG). I had it about 2 months now without any issues.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 3, 2012 9:39:55 AM

850 AX is enough but if you wanna go with AX1200 its fine for future but in future gpu card power getting lower by cards i would say 1050HX is good
m
l
May 3, 2012 6:29:02 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
850 AX is enough but if you wanna go with AX1200 its fine for future but in future gpu card power getting lower by cards i would say 1050HX is good

I want gold series PSU only to be future proof.

Any UPS suggestions for me ?
m
l
May 4, 2012 1:46:10 PM

If you like it then go a head :)  but im also not having experience with it .
m
l
May 5, 2012 2:23:51 PM

sadams04 said:
You would be fine with the 850w, BUT... Those are both solid power supplies and will live through the life of more than one build. If you are OK with the price of the 1200w, know you have a moderately large power requirements, and want some overhead for futher upgrades... then that is the PSU for you.

i don't have any problem on the budget then what do you suggest me? :D 
m
l
May 5, 2012 2:31:33 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
If you like it then go a head :)  but im also not having experience with it .

Let me try this one if any problem or other situation arrives then their will be another thread on this to give warning to others.

If nothing happens then it would be fine.
m
l
May 5, 2012 2:33:45 PM

Please guys go through this whole thread once and give me the final decision between 850WAx or 1200WAx.

No price issue.
m
l
May 5, 2012 3:15:48 PM

aviral said:
Let me try this one if any problem or other situation arrives then their will be another thread on this to give warning to others.

If nothing happens then it would be fine.

What does that mean im here to help you and i not made that products so which warning you talking about ?
N i said if you like that product then go ahead its not my dicision you got money spend it where you like. You asked about product info i gave that its upto you where you wanna spend
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2012 4:07:17 PM

aviral said:
Please guys go through this whole thread once and give me the final decision between 850WAx or 1200WAx.

No price issue.

if price isn't an issue the i always say bigger is better, go with the 1200.
m
l
May 5, 2012 4:42:15 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
What does that mean im here to help you and i not made that products so which warning you talking about ?
N i said if you like that product then go ahead its not my dicision you got money spend it where you like. You asked about product info i gave that its upto you where you wanna spend

You took my post wrongly.

I liked your suggestion and I will go with it.

This UPS is not tested by any one of the members on the forum which I am going to test may be and post the results on another thread with better support for this product.

May be now you got my thread.
m
l
May 5, 2012 4:46:27 PM

Best answer selected by Aviral.
m
l
May 5, 2012 5:14:43 PM

aviral said:
You took my post wrongly.

I liked your suggestion and I will go with it.

This UPS is not tested by any one of the members on the forum which I am going to test may be and post the results on another thread with better support for this product.

May be now you got my thread.

I thougt your pointing me ok clear now :) 
m
l
May 7, 2012 2:39:30 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
I thougt your pointing me ok clear now :) 

No I was not pointing you. :) 

Thanks to all of you for the help :D 
m
l
!