MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozer II running hotter than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, so I just received my replacement RMA MSI GTX 560 TI two days ago and was about to install it back in my pc when I noticed that they had applied a ton of TIM (so much that it was oozing out the sides). So, I decided to clean off that TIM and reapply a proper amount on my own. I did that (used the spread method) and stuck it back in my pc and everything was fine and good until I decided to run FurMark and 3D Mark 11 to see how the temps were. Oddly, and unexpectedly, in Furmark they immediately shot up to around 88 degrees C and kept climbing, at which point I aborted the benching run. In 3D Mark 11, temps rose quickly but were a more reasonable 68 - 75 degrees. I played LOTRO to see what the temps would be like and they hovered around 65 - 68. I know Furmark is an unrealistic benchmark but my old GTX 560 TI could run Furmark, 3D Mark 11, and LOTRO at max settings and not even come close to breaking 70 degrees. So, my question is why is this happening? Could it be that this time around I got a hotter running chip than last time? I thought I had screwed up in re-applying the TIM so I went ahead and did it again, and I'm fairly certain I did it right. It stays around 27 - 30 degrees at idle and moves up to around 38 - 41 when watching Blu-Ray 1080p movies in fullscreen.

My specs are below.

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer (yes I know, this case doesn't have the best airflow in the world)
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Intel 2500K stock clocks(Hyper 212+)
MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozer II
Corsair HX 650W PSU
12 GB Ram (G.Skill & Mushkin)
Crucial M4 64 GB
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB

Solution
It quite normal for the temps to even hit the 90's when using furmark , its pushing your card to the limits and isnt always the best program to define if your temps are going to be good.
Real life tests are the best such as testing the games when you are gaming , use msi afterburner to monitor your temps as you game and it will give you an accurate reading of where your temps are under load. You can also adjust the fan speed to further reduce the temps, give it a try and see how you go.
G

TIM = Thermal Interface Material = Thermal Paste =p

I've got one 24" monitor running 1900x1080 and my last card was RMAd due to the fact that it kept locking up when I was in the OS (by locking up I mean that it caused my system to hang and BSOD; I diagnosed it as my card). MSI said they swapped my card, which I assumed meant that they gave me a new replacement.

G

3 Total case fans, 1 front 200mm blowing in, 1 top 200mm blowing out, and 1 120mm blowing out back. (questions are always a good thing =D)

I diagnosed that my card was the problem by putting the card under load (a mix of synthetic benchmarks, video encoding and decoding, Photoshop and After Effects work, and actual game play) which took a few days. Then I yanked the card and did most of the same things again and saw if it would cause the lockup; when it didn't, I figured that had to be my GPU.

G

Yea the same PSU has been running my original GTX 560ti and this new one. But I doubt it's the PSU that's causing me problems. I'd have had other problems while I was waiting for my card to RMA if that was the case.

G

I mean I know they're not dangerous or anything. I'm just wondering why the temps would differ so much from one card to another running the same programs....guess this is where the whole "getting lucky with getting a good chip" thing comes into play =p Also, I didn't like how it shot up so quickly into the 80+ range; maybe I got spoiled by getting such good temps on my last card -.- Oh btw, i used AS 5 as the thermal paste; forgot to put it in the first post (guess it's a little late now =p)

monsta

Splendid
It quite normal for the temps to even hit the 90's when using furmark , its pushing your card to the limits and isnt always the best program to define if your temps are going to be good.
Real life tests are the best such as testing the games when you are gaming , use msi afterburner to monitor your temps as you game and it will give you an accurate reading of where your temps are under load. You can also adjust the fan speed to further reduce the temps, give it a try and see how you go.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.