will quad core blow away C2D?

singlemalt

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005
I haven't heard as much excitement about quad core compared with all the excitement around the intel C2D chips. Will quad core be a giant leap forward for home users as C2D appears to be? Will quad core make dual core chips obsolete? Any advice would be appreciated.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
I haven't heard as much excitement about quad core compared with all the excitement around the intel C2D chips. Will quad core be a giant leap forward for home users as C2D appears to be? Will quad core make dual core chips obsolete? Any advice would be appreciated.

In multithreaded apps, yes quad core will blow away c2d...

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I can only imagine it will blow it away. I also imagine its going to cost a hell of a lot more. Also, you'll need a hell of a lot more expensive mobo and ram to prevent bottlenecks. But...it will be awhile before anyone really start buying these...Most consumer programs are just starting to use dual core, they won't be using quad-core for a long-ass time. Sales will be relatively low I'm sure.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004

In multithreaded apps, yes quad core will blow away c2d...

I think - blown away is overstated - I see the FSB being an issue.
But, since I'm waiting on DX10 and the new MBs. I will wait and see
how it performs.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Quad-core will beat dual-core, but until there are some major programs that are designed to be multi-threaded the performance difference for the average user will likely be miniscule.

There are some programs (Maya, 3DS Max) that are multi-threaded and will show a large performance jump immediately, but these are realatively rare.