Best power supply and pc case for my e6600? BEST. Thanks!!!

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Hey, sorry about the probably asked a million time topic, but I'm trying to get all my parts ordered between now and tomorrow.

But anyways, I just ordered my e6600, ships tomorrow. But I was wondering what's the best case and power supply for it now? I want to water cool my processor for performance, but many (FOR SILENCE), mine now is too loud.

Anyways, what's the best case and power supply out now that'll work for it. Money isn't really an option for me as long as its not too too high. I like the cool-looking cases, but those are usually the cheap ones.

Anyways, thanks again. I'm off to the watercooling thread to ask about that. :) (th is such a cool forum)

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Case should be a Coolermaster Centurion 5

and a

Power Supply sould be an Antec TruePowerII 550w.

LOL, he asks for the BEST and you give him that?? wtf??

ya the antec tp 550 is like the best quality/price for a hard drive
That's a power supply not a hard drive.

As to power supply, how much power do you want and how much money do you have to spend? Suggest you get something in the 500 to 750w range depending on what your components are. Enermax, Silverstone, Seasonic, Antec, PC P&C...

To the OP, when you say not too too expensive please give us a number.... if not then go for this one.

Custom water cooled Lian Li with 3 x 120mm rad in the top.
cas-305.jpg
http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-305.html

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
yea, I was about to put a number, but then I realized i DO have a limit.

As for the Lian-Li, it looks okay if it comes with watercooling built in already. I was kinda lookin at 400 total for watercooling and case, but 100 isnt much extra. What makes the Lian-li different than all the other cases?

And as for the built in watercooling, is that a good watercooling setup? I read that DIY watercooling parts I put in myself actually work better. Is there an exception to this one?

And thanks a lot. Why do they make so many cases?..

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Maybe he's talking about a BFG 7900 GTX Thumbdrive or a Core 2 Duo E6700 Cold Cathode Light Tube or even a Soundblaster X-Fi Floppy Disk Drive

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
The case is good in that it was designed (or modded) for watercooling and that is a triple rad which ain't too shabby. DIY will always be better but, only if you put the money into it. That Lian-Li case look quite huge - not as big as my Stacker but very spacious

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

As for the Lian-Li, it looks okay if it comes with watercooling built in already. I was kinda lookin at 400 total for watercooling and case, but 100 isnt much extra. What makes the Lian-li different than all the other cases?

And as for the built in watercooling, is that a good watercooling setup? I read that DIY watercooling parts I put in myself actually work better. Is there an exception to this one?

Just so you know, that case does not come with a pump, reservoir or any of the water blocks. It's just custom modded to include the radiator 3 fans.

Here is how much my water cooling cost.

Case: Thermaltake Armor $160
PSU: Silverstone 750w $180
Pump: MCP655 $85
CPU block: Storm $65
GPU block: NV78SLI $250 (single gpu is $120 but you can get a decent one for $60)
Reservoir: Alphacool cape $60
Radiator: 2 x 120mm $45
Fittings and tubing $10

Grand Total $855

For $400 for a case, psu and water cooling I'd choose the

Case: Armor Jr $120
PSU: Antec Neo550 $110
WC: Swiftech H2O Ultra $250

Total: $480
If you use the bigwater 745 that would drop to $380 so that might be your best bet.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
But I was wondering what's the best case and power supply for it now? I want to water cool my processor for performance, but many (FOR SILENCE), mine now is too loud. Anyways, what's the best case and power supply out now that'll work for it. Money isn't really an option for me as long as its not too too high.

I think you later said you were shooting for ~$400 and that's for case, PS and water cooling??? If I'm right there, you'll be cutting some serious corners. If you want good water cooling, you'll have to get a cheap PS and case. Etc. Since the 6600 runs cool, if quiet is a priority, I'd go with a decent case, good PS and a quiet HSF. The Antec P180 is pretty quiet and cools well. I'm not really crazy about the Scythe Ninja Plus (I've tried it and it is quieter than my preferred Zalman 9500 but it doen't cool as well) but it is quiet. You could run a real quiet fan on the Ninja like this SilenX and it will be super quiet. Replace the other case fans with something like that and you will have a quiet ride. If you don't like the Antec case, Lian Lis cool well and are reasonably quiet.

Anyway, if you spend about $200 on the case, HSF and quiet fans, that leaves $200 for a PS. You don't need to spend that much. I'd go for this Mushkin or this OCZ. Both are overkill for a gaming rig with one video card. And that's OK. You'll be able to handle a DX-10 card later on. You can save the extra hundred you didn't need and go shop around for the water cooling parts you'll need if the quiet air approach didn't work.

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006

Just so you know, that case does not come with a pump, reservoir or any of the water blocks. It's just custom modded to include the radiator 3 fans.

Here is how much my water cooling cost.

Case: Thermaltake Armor $160
PSU: Silverstone 750w $180
Pump: MCP655 $85
CPU block: Storm $65
GPU block: NV78SLI $250 (single gpu is $120 but you can get a decent one for $60)
Reservoir: Alphacool cape $60
Radiator: 2 x 120mm $45
Fittings and tubing $10

Grand Total $855

For $400 for a case, psu and water cooling I'd choose the

Case: Armor Jr $120
PSU: Antec Neo550 $110
WC: Swiftech H2O Ultra $250

Total: $480
If you use the bigwater 745 that would drop to $380 so that might be your best bet.

a.k.a Waste Of Money.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Jealous? awww don't cry your momma will make it better by buying you a sucker...

a.k.a Waste Of Money.

This coming from someone who thought the Centurion was the best case out there? Go post on the inquirer site, you think the same way.

btw, money can only be wasted by those who have it... and it's all relative. To bill gates a 20,000,000 jet is pocket change, to you it's 10 times more than you'll make in your entire life.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Probly Not that Much, i Like them Becuase they have Alot of room, very good Cooling, and that simple and Elegant look... like something a Professional would Have

Also Falcon-Northwest Uses That Case For Its Mach-v Pc's

Very Very good Looking

TJ03b.jpg

TJ03e.jpg

TJ03a.jpg

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
haha who do you think you are.
So you are THAT rich to buy some COMPUTER parts? wow you are my hero.

Get a fuc*ing life and try not to make fun of someone on the internet cuz that's just lame.

He ordered a fuc*ing e6600 and he wants the BEST case for it? which will be worth way more than the cpu itself??

Centurion is decent for the price.

If he had a budget for the best case in the world, why wouldnt he buy a X6800 stupid fu*k.

tsk tsk tsk.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

Get a fuc*ing life and try not to make fun of someone on the internet cuz that's just lame.

He ordered a fuc*ing e6600 and he wants the BEST case for it? which will be worth way more than the cpu itself??

If he had a budget for the best case in the world, why wouldnt he buy a X6800 stupid fu*k.

tsk tsk tsk.

oh.....no you dont.

Fisrt of all, don't get angry because you are poor.

Second.

he thinks, wait, he knows hes rich, much richer than you. So yes, he is your hero.

You are incompetent. He didn't "TRY" to make fun of you, he DID make fun of you.

First of all "He ordered a fuc*ing e6600 and he wants the BEST case for it? " isnt a question, get your GED atleast.

Second, if someone asks for the best car, you don't give them a toyota camry. So you once again, are incompetent, if someones asks for the "best" you give them the best.

Agreed, original poster did not want "decent" he wanted "best", hell he even emphasized it in the thread topic.

Becase he isn't retarded enough to throw money away, an E6600 can overclock to X6800 speeds. So you sir are, as your put it, the stupid fu*k.

[code:1:25e27bae31]tsk tsk tsk.[/code:1:25e27bae31]

What are you, 9 years old? Maybe a 9 year old girl?

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
the rich are rich for a reason, there smart and know how to handle Money

and the e6600 can be overclocked to a x6800, even more if he wants to

:roll:

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
If your woried about noise and not heat, water cooling may not be the best solution. I run an overclocked AMD 64 with a XP-120 heatsink and 120mm fan at 1300 rpm's and it's dead silent. As a matter of fact the only other fans in the case are the one in the PSU and the artic cooling cooler on the video card and you can't hear the machine from 3 ft away. The cpu never gets above 46c and I figure the cpu is useing about 100w which is way more than a conroe. Water cooling has its advantages but a good air cooler like that ninja thing could fill your needs and be a lot cheaper.

k-

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
LOL just because you spend 10grand on a computer, doesn't mean you are rich..

and it also doesn't mean that you are poor if you buy a grand of worth of computer...

its a fuc*ing computer. get a life.

and if you have THAT much time on quoting every single lines that i've wrote... you are the stupid fu*k. sad....

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
LOL just because you spend 10grand on a computer, doesn't mean you are rich..

and it also doesn't mean that you are poor if you buy a grand of worth of computer...

its a fuc*ing computer. get a life.

and if you have THAT much time on quoting every single lines that i've wrote... you are the stupid fu*k. sad....

i guess this forum Aint for u, u know whats going on and how people react in this Forum

Other forums for u

Hardforum.com
anandtech.com
ocforums.com
firingsquad.com

Think of this, Tomshardware forums is a place where people turn to get help, think of it as another form of tech support

dont tell people to get a life becuase most likely they have a Good life, and they Enjoy coming to the Forums to give/recieve help, like i do

:wink:

TRENDING THREADS