Excess Arctic Silver 5 Application (Pic included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihave400houses

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hey guys, i asked yesterday and i got an answer but since then i have wondered about something else.

I applied too much arctic silver 5 paste and it has spilled over the edges of the cpu (but not onto the other board) I read that it is not conductive, but is it capacitive.

In the picture i have shown the areas where it has leaked. My computer works fine, but i was wondering if in the future i could have problems???

2ljs2sk.jpg

I would clean it but im worried i will do more damage than good, by opening areas where it cant get to atm, but will almost certainly get if i try cleaning.

Please help a worry wart out. Its my 1st custon build and i dont want it to break

Thanks

Solution
know the feeling. I think you'd be OK wiping it off with a tissue, maybe damp the tissue with IPA to completely remove it. That said I don't think it would do any damage to just leave it there but don't unlatch the cpu and start rubbing away else you might bend the pins or break something.
For the future just pput a dot the size of a grain of rice in the centre of the CPU and that'll do fine

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
know the feeling. I think you'd be OK wiping it off with a tissue, maybe damp the tissue with IPA to completely remove it. That said I don't think it would do any damage to just leave it there but don't unlatch the cpu and start rubbing away else you might bend the pins or break something.
For the future just pput a dot the size of a grain of rice in the centre of the CPU and that'll do fine

Solution
Jun 30, 2012

Your MOBO will be fine i have arctic silver 5 and love it :hello: but just wiping it off will be fine but if you leave it it could go hard or run when it gets hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.