Computer idot needs help

old_as_dirt

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
My mother board got fried during storm. took apart and saw melted stuff by power plug. My son gave me a computer that wont boot because of code 5. My computer had two hard drives. 1 i did all my stuff on and the other was labeled recovery. I put both my HDD in his computer and they dont work. Before you young computer experts jump all over me im a brke old man looking to listen to my youth. always hear listen to elders well now its listen to youngers. Please help!!!!!!!!!

old_as_dirt

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
My mother board got fried during storm. took apart and saw melted stuff by power plug. My son gave me a computer that wont boot because of code 5. My computer had two hard drives. 1, i did all my stuff on and the other was labeled recovery. I put both my HDD in his computer and they dont work. Before you young computer experts jump all over me, im a broke old man looking to listen to my youth. always hear listen to elders well now its listen to youngers. Please help!!!!!!!!!

4745454b

Titan
1, i did all my stuff on and the other was labeled recovery. I put both my HDD in his computer and they dont work.

This isn't very descriptive. I'll give an answer as I understand those sentences but I could be very wrong with what the issue issue. I'm guessing you moved your hdds over, but it wouldn't boot. This is because the drivers to load windows are for your old motherboard and not the new one. If the drivers don't work, then it won't boot.

As for the recovery disk again, its because the hardware doesn't match. The recovery disk will try to load the drivers its been told to load. Which again do not match your new board. Have your son get you a linux live disk and try using that. Just to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the hardware.

old_as_dirt

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Are you saying I own an operating system (VISTA) that is now worthless and cant be used on another system. What is the point of them creating a HDD recovery if it cant be used. My son is no help, he knows less then I do. He gave me his and got one from rent-a-ripoff. I called a small computer place in town and was told they could make it work for $300.oo For that price I can buy a new one at walmart, but then I have to buy office 2007 again. How can they fix it if I cant. Seems like a monoply I should have invested in 40 years ago. My 1st computer was a TI99.

TO better explain my computer was an HP dv-7 laptop (or something like that) had 500g hard drive. one hard drive is what everything ran off of and I stored all my files on. The other hard drive was labeled at factory as RECOVERY so i never messed with it. My sons was dell optiplex gx520. I bought the adapters from radio shack so i could hook my small HHD to his big HDD slots (SATA CABLES). Thanks for you imput, does this help anymore.

Just need to know if these are unrepairable and mx paid for windows xp operating system is worthless. If so im taking these out back and releaving frustration by filling them full of holes. Took me 7 months to save the $900 to buy my laptop and now its worthless if I cant use parts in sons desk top. I refuse to get one from rent-a-ripoff. Thanks for all your help to a perfect stranger.

old_as_dirt

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
You are correct. I put two hdd's from one computer into another computer. When i turn it on you can hear the "c" drive spinning but it wont boot. Are you telling me that I cant do this and there is no way around it. If so that's crap. I bought the computer with vista installed and sice they dont send disks any more I have to buy a new computer.