Last Confirmation

jpblann

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
So I am finally decided on my new build.
I haven't built a new system in years so putting this puppy together should be fun.

Below is what I am decided on.

Build:
i5 3570k
8gb (2x4) G.Skill Rip jaw
500gb WD Black hdd
asrock z77 extreme 4
HD 7850 Asus 2gb
750w XFX Core Edition PSU

Case And Cooling:
Bitfenix Colossus Venom (Window not available in nz yet :pfff: )
Antec Kuhler 620

*Looks like the colossus comes with 2 x 230mm fans - Intake at front and exhaust at the top. I am thinking of adding another scyth 120mm for intake at the bottom as the 620 will help with the exhaust. This should bring a good push / pull through the case.

The main thing this will be used for is gaming and I am looking at over clocking to 4.2 if I can keep it stable.

Does anyone have a similar set-up that is pulling these results?

Also any criticism is good :D

Solution
seem to be a lot more of us NZers around lately.

Looks like a solid build though.

Shameless plug, but i have an xfx 650w PSU that I will be selling shortly. also an inwin mana 136 Case. Just in case you'd like to save yourself some cash...

Personally, i would go with an i5 2500k over ivy bridge, other than that you have a very solid build.

jpblann

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

Definitely looking at CF in the near future - possibly even 2 new cards all together. Money is the problem in this case! Next month I will be looking at other options :sol: Thanks for the feedback _b

EDIT: The 750w is $10NZD more than the 650w so I thought.. why not? haha

welshmousepk

Distinguished
seem to be a lot more of us NZers around lately.

Looks like a solid build though.

Shameless plug, but i have an xfx 650w PSU that I will be selling shortly. also an inwin mana 136 Case. Just in case you'd like to save yourself some cash...

Personally, i would go with an i5 2500k over ivy bridge, other than that you have a very solid build.

Solution

fadeawayyx

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Looks similar to my build. I am still debating on a few of my picks though, perhaps you could help me out. What made you pick this gpu?
Needed current gen but didn't want to pay gtx680 prices? What made you pick this specific gpu?
Also - the motherboard. Did you basically go for the cheapest SLI enabled card you could see?

If no window is available in your case, why bother with the Kuhler? I heard the Coolermaster 212 for £25 will keep things cooler than the fancy watercooling things. The main attraction for the watercooling solutions are the neat and tidy looks... which would be wasted inside a no window case.

jpblann

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

I picked the 7850 because I was looking for a good middle range card and this seems to come out on top of the 560ti. Also had a look at the 7870 but apparently when the 7850 is overclocked (Which is does quite well) the performance difference between them isn't worth the price.

Also not out to spend a whole bunch on a video card when I know I will upgrade to the radeon 8 series when it arrives!

Also looking at the 3570k due to the fact I only want to overclock to around 4-4.2 . Shouldn't be hard to keep the IB chip stable at this level! - Future proofing like a boss :D

Will talk to you about your xfx 650w psu aswell welshmousepk!

welshmousepk

Distinguished

virtually every IB review has pointed out that reaching a 4.5ghz overclock has been difficult, and has caused it to run much hotter than an equivalent SB.
Given the majority of SB chips can hit 5ghz on air without even coming close to thermal limit makes them considerably better as overclockers chips. Hell, my i5 2500k hits 4.5ghz without even a voltage increase. Haven't seen a single IB chip do that yet.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
techradar
Intel has created a rod for its own back in recent years by delivering ever more performance.

The new Ivy Bridge generation basically puts on the brakes.

No more cores. No more clocks. And no more overclocking headroom.

xbitlabs:
Unfortunately, practical experiments uncover a few unpleasant issues. We tested two different Ivy Bridge processors in our lab, but none of them managed to achieve stability at the frequencies reached by their previous-generation predecessors

hexus:\
The temperature is higher than we'd like, assuming it's being reported correctly, and the spiralling temps for Ivy Bridge chips may be a cause for concern for SIs whose best-selling systems - currently based on Sandy Bridge - tend to be overclocked to 4.5GHz-plus.

anandtech:
Ivy Bridge can be overclocked, but at least initially it's not going to be as good of an overclocker as Sandy Bridge. Over time I expect this to improve somewhat as Intel's 22nm process matures, but by how much remains a question to me. It's unclear just how much of these limits are by design vs. a simple matter of process maturity.

OCclub:
Overclocking the Third Generation Core i7 3770K was a little more challenging than I expected, as the usual means to gain additional clock speed did not seem to work after a certain point. My expectation was to go for 5.0 GHz right off the bat by adjusting the clock multiplier to 50 and voltage to 1.40 V. That did not end well.

neoseeker:
With this setup we were able to boost the clock speed of the 3770K up to 4.8GHz, at 1.36V. At this speed the processor is running each core 37% higher than the base clock, and 23% higher than the Boost clock. We also could have scaled the processor higher, but we were already hitting temperatures of nearly 78°C, so we decided not to push it any further

bit-tech:
However, those hoping for drastically higher frequencies in comparison to the Sandy Bridge will be disappointed, despite the CPU’s maximum multiplier rising to 63x. While much higher frequencies are now possible, you’ll need exotic cooling to reach them. We’ve found that the smaller production process and increased transistor count leads to hot-spotting on specific cores at higher frequencies. Three cores will be rock solid, but one will inevitably fail under load.

Our i7-3770K topped out at 4.8GHz (48x100, VCore 1.34V, Load Line Calibration = Extreme), reaching a peak delta T of 72°C in a 19°C ambient. Regardless of adjustments to the multiplier, base clock, core voltage or IGP, it simply would not remain stable at any higher speeds,

wanted to post a few just to prove the point. if you had any idea what you were on about, this would not be necessary. but i feel it is important that the OP is no mislead by incorrect information.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

how is 'virtually every' in any way absolute?

perhaps you should learn the meaning of the word virtually, and understand i was making a broad generalization based on the fact that the large majority (every single review that came up in Google as you can see), made mention of the issue you claimed did not exist.

if you wish to spread incorrect information, do it on another forum.

jpblann

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
AAAAAAAAANY way. Thanks for your inputs guys. Appreciate it. welshmousepk can you flick me an email in regards to the psu and possibly case?

jonoblann@mindmoneypower.com

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS