I7 2600k - BIOS update giving me wrong temps?

shawnw1127

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I recently did a few upgrades to my PC:

-Upgraded my video card from a GTX 570 to a GTX 670
-Installed a Cooler Master V8 Cooler
-Installed a Samsung 830 SSD and moved my OS to that drive

I'm not overclocked nor do I know much at all about overclocking or voltages, etc.

At first when I had my new CPU cooler installed my i7 2600k temps were at a stable 27C at idle and got up to about 45-50ish under load with Prime95 (according to RealTemp 3.70) and all was fine and dandy.

Recently I updated the BIOS on my ASUS P8P67 LE board from version 1102 (I think) to version 3602. The idle temperatures on my i7 2600k now are at about 33-35C and the temperatures on all cores drop to about 25C about 5 times per minute but only lasting for about one second. The load temps got to about 52C.

I reseated my HSF and applied new thermal paste (AS5) and the results seem to be exactly the same as before.

Now maybe the temperatures arent very high or alarming I guess but the fluctuations are bothering me a bit.

Has anyone experienced this or know a solution to this issue or am I just being paranoid?

Specs:
i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
ASUS P8P67 LE (BIOS version 3602)
Cooler Master HAF 922M Case
Nvidia GTX 670
16GB of Kingston DDR3 RAM
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB (OS)
Seagate 2TB HDD (Data)

Solution

I think your board is fine. Idle Vcore fluctuations are very very common. Your temperature sensor is just very sensitive (not sure if the norm on Intel Bridge CPU's).

Try HWmonitor (or asus probe, but it hogs memory), and see if the motherboard sensor for the CPU is reporting the same fluctuations, if not, then it is really not significant, just the...

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

The sensors on the SMBUS were probably recalibrated in the new BIOS update. The old values were probably under-estimated. What does Core-Temp say (free program, reads CPU-Die data, not SMBUS CPU sensor data) ?

In addition, since you have an ASUS board, the new update probably reprogrammed and/or reset the Q-fan curves. Your fans maybe spinning less than they were at the same temperatures. Try disabling Q-fan (temporarily) to see if this is the case.

kochanchu1994

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Mainly used to fill the gap between the heating element and heat sink, improving the cooling effect. Performance is often called thermal grease, and should actually be called a silicon paste ... the mobility of fillers tiny gap between the cpu and heat sink to ensure that the thermal conductivity.
hardware.gif

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Comparing those numbers to your motherboard's reported temperatures, they are pretty close. So I think the motherboard is accurate enough on the temperatures of the CPU.

Either way, those numbers are very good (max 50 ish).

You can try programming the Q-Fan so it ramps up more aggressively in the BIOS.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I see what you mean, the temps are fluctuating with the processor's VID (Vcore). Also check to see if the new bios enabled (or changed) the LLC (load-line calibration) settings. If you have the options of enable or disable, try disabling that (not the same as 0% if adjustment is in %). If it is in %, leave it on default.

shawnw1127

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

I tried disabling Q-Fan control and also disabling LLC but the temperature fluctuations seem to be exactly the same unfortunately. When I am playing a game the temperature are quite stable at least and were pretty stable during Prime95. It only seems to be occurring during idle.

As a last ditch effort I may just end up getting a new motherboard if you think that would be wise.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I think your board is fine. Idle Vcore fluctuations are very very common. Your temperature sensor is just very sensitive (not sure if the norm on Intel Bridge CPU's).

Try HWmonitor (or asus probe, but it hogs memory), and see if the motherboard sensor for the CPU is reporting the same fluctuations, if not, then it is really not significant, just the CPU die sensors being too sensitive, or the temperature data polling rate of the hardware/software being too high.

Solution

shawnw1127

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

The temperatures in HWmonitor and Probe were much more stable, all at around 30C at idle and only about a 4 degree fluctuation at max. So I suppose I can stop being paranoid about the temps for now.

Thanks for all the help!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

No problem! Cheers.