Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 23, 2013 7:05:53 AM

Is windows 8 advisable for gaming? Thanks!

More about : windows

a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 11:01:52 AM

Due to lower system requirements with Windows 8 compared to Windows 7, then theoretically Windows 8 should be a little better at gaming, because more performance can go to the games instead of being consumed by the OS.

I use Windows 8 right now and there is no trouble with gaming. Some people might not be pleased with the new layout of windows 8, I think it's refreshing and appealing.

m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
January 23, 2013 11:17:27 AM

some older games may not work with windows 8 like blazing angels 2 for example.
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:37:40 PM

RamjoTejada said:
Is windows 8 advisable for gaming? Thanks!

The answer depends on what exactly you are asking for. If you are asking should you upgrade to W8 for gaming then absolutely 100% not.
If you are looking at a new build then as long as you are aware of the differences W8 brings when compared to W7 and understand that a new OS will bring with it driver issues along the way, and are happy with these things then there is no reason not to.

Personally I prefer W7. I don't like what they have done with W8 for a number of reasons. You could always check out and see if you can still get a beta copy to test it out with. I'm not sure if they have been pulled yet. Look for Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Mactronix :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 23, 2013 11:39:20 PM

mactronix said:
The answer depends on what exactly you are asking for. If you are asking should you upgrade to W8 for gaming then absolutely 100% not.

Why 100% not? I upgraded and my gaming experience has been no different than it was under Windows 7. Perhaps even a bit better performance-wise, although I would need to actually benchmark some games on my system to confirm. It wasn't a night and day difference.

mactronix said:
If you are looking at a new build then as long as you are aware of the differences W8 brings when compared to W7 and understand that a new OS will bring with it driver issues along the way, and are happy with these things then there is no reason not to.

Most drivers written for Windows 7 should work under Windows 8, although I am having trouble with a RAID driver from Intel. I've mentioned this to Intel already and am awaiting a new release.

mactronix said:
Personally I prefer W7. I don't like what they have done with W8 for a number of reasons. You could always check out and see if you can still get a beta copy to test it out with. I'm not sure if they have been pulled yet. Look for Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Unfortunately I don't think the Consumer Preview is available any more. Best bet right now is to get people to download the Windows 8 Enterprise 90-day trial. They can set it up in a virtual machine using VMware Player, or whichever other VM software they prefer to check it out and decide what they want to do.
January 25, 2013 6:40:59 AM

@ The_Prophecy.

1. As you said no different or slightly better, that's why 100% not. I just see it as a pointless waste of time upgrading a whole OS when there is very little or Zero gain to be had. So specifically for gaming as was asked 100% not in my opinion.

2. Its all fact, a new OS means issues, it always has and always will. I nearly used might or could instead of will when I wrote about the driver issues. I settles on will because while not everyone will encounter issues most will even if they do not realize that is what is going on, also I decided to stand by my original conviction despite considering mellowing it to might or could to avoid people picking up on it as you have.

3. Thanks for the heads up on the Windows 8 Enterprise 90-day trial.

m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 26, 2013 12:45:27 AM

Fair enough. I kinda handed you that point on the gaming performance, although now that I have re-read your previous post, I think a bit more of what you were saying sunk in (mental note made to pay more attention next time).

A new OS doesn't necessarily mean issues for everyone though. While I am having an issue under Windows 8 on my main desktop, my two other computers that I have already migrated over to Win 8 went flawlessly, and I have had absolutely zero issues on them (a desktop acting as a file server, and a gaming laptop). I suspect many people will have issues, but that's why forums like this exist. You also start out by implying that everyone will have issues with Windows 8, and then concede that not everyone will have issues, but most will even if they don't realize it.

I'm still a bit confused as to your position on that one?
m
l
January 27, 2013 6:44:43 PM

Well the gaming performance of W8 is not exactly a secret now is it, there have been enough.

I have explained my reasoning for wording my post how I did. You could say rain always falls down and that would while correct the vast majority of the time is not strictly speaking true.

The way Vista reported memory is an example of what I mean when I say people have issue that are OS related but don't realize that is what is going on. It does not need to be just driver issues although they are all over the net as well.
There was thread after thread blaming Bios/ Motherboard/ The memory having a faulty JEDEC, pretty much every thing except the OS was to blame.
Turns out it was the OS after all.

m
l
!