Keeping static off the components? How to properly discharge?

F_Pastor

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
So I'm about to build my first PC and I want to make sure I don't put any of my components in danger of getting destroyed by static electricity. I've heard from loads of people that I don't need to buy an anti-static wrist strap.

Instead, I've seen the old home-builders method of touching your case before touching the components of the PC.

I'm getting the Corsair Carbide 400r case the whole thing is painted black. Because it's painted, will the old method still work? Or will the paint disrupt proper discharge?

Thanks guys

-Francis

Solution
If there is a power supply in the case, plug it in but turn the socket off so that the case is grounded, black cases would still conduct electric so the old method would still work.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Yes, but static will usually build up if you have your socks on or when your on carpet.

ESD is not common but if you want to be safe, hold things like RAM, CPU and CPU by the edges, try and do the same with your mobo, do it on a table, not something like a bed, cables you can hold normally, the same with heatsinks and fans.