Sign in with
Your question

Do more screens decrease performance?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2012 6:39:57 AM

Hello,
I'm thinking about buying two more screens for my gaming setup and I was just wondering if my gpu performance will decrease like my frame rate for example. I'm currently using an asus hd6950 direct cu ii 2gb and is overclocked from 810mhz to 900mhz and I'll usually be playing things like nfs, gta iv, bf3, mw3, crysis etc.

And one more question that's alittle off topic but I don't want to make a new thread. Will my phenom ii 840 bottleneck my gpu? Because I've heard it's really just an Athlon that's rebranded as a phenom. It's currently overclocked to 3.8ghz
a c 88 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:48:55 AM

More than one monitor can effect gpu performance , but you have graphics card that has 2gb of vram , so you have plenty to power it
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:50:10 AM

^+1
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 7:29:30 AM

ur welcome:) 
m
l
February 26, 2012 7:37:11 AM

p000n-tang_be4r said:
Hello,
I'm thinking about buying two more screens for my gaming setup and I was just wondering if my gpu performance will decrease like my frame rate for example. I'm currently using an asus hd6950 direct cu ii 2gb and is overclocked from 810mhz to 900mhz and I'll usually be playing things like nfs, gta iv, bf3, mw3, crysis etc.

And one more question that's alittle off topic but I don't want to make a new thread. Will my phenom ii 840 bottleneck my gpu? Because I've heard it's really just an Athlon that's rebranded as a phenom. It's currently overclocked to 3.8ghz

Yes you will see a dramatic drop in frame rates when you add another two screens when playing games the 2gb fram bufferer just fixes the pop ins not performance and for three 1080P screens it is recommended to have at leased 6950 CF for smooth gameplay performance. The higher the resolution the more load that is put onto the GPU and less load on the CPU so that CPU of yours will be just fine it is the GPU you have to worry about.
m
l
February 26, 2012 8:42:20 AM

After i buy another 6950 in a couple of months or so would it be wise to buy a bulldozer as well? Or will the Bulldozer be worse than the cpu i have now? Because i was thinking of switching to i5 but i don't really want to buy a new mobo, ram and waterblock. I mean is the bulldozer really as bad as people make out for it to be? Or do they just flame it because it didn't end up being as good as the i5 or i7? Does it still perform well while gaming?
m
l
February 26, 2012 8:49:40 AM

p000n-tang_be4r said:
Hello,

I'm currently using an asus hd6950 direct cu ii 2gb and is overclocked from 810mhz to 900mhz and I'll usually be playing things like nfs, gta iv, bf3, mw3, crysis etc.
m
l
February 26, 2012 8:51:19 AM

p000n-tang_be4r said:
After i buy another 6950 in a couple of months or so would it be wise to buy a bulldozer as well? Or will the Bulldozer be worse than the cpu i have now? Because i was thinking of switching to i5 but i don't really want to buy a new mobo, ram and waterblock. I mean is the bulldozer really as bad as people make out for it to be? Or do they just flame it because it didn't end up being as good as the i5 or i7? Does it still perform well while gaming?

When you are gaming @ HD+ resolutions the load goes pretty much 99% to the GPU in other words the CPU gets bypassed so a faster CPU for gaming will have no effect on HD+ resolutions the playing feild is even for any decent CPU. Notice the virtually 1fps difference from a somewhat slower CPU to a top of the line OCed i7 2600K and this is fairly representative of what you will see in every game @ HD+ resolution therefor this means your money is best used when put into graphics cards and not CPUs for a gaming rig that is running HD+ resolutions - http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scalin...
m
l
February 26, 2012 9:23:35 AM

p000n-tang_be4r said:

HD res and multiple monitors is all about GPU muscle as long as the CPU isn't a bottleneck. Unless you have a really old Phenom 2 or an Athlon there is no need to get BD. Bulldozer isn't bad AT ALL, especially for productivity (a la 8150). Gaming is mainly GPU based and again, if your CPU is semi decent and doesn't bottleneck multiple monitors will perform fine on two 6950s.

As for the flaming of the BD, it's mainly just because people mad since AMD said it was going to be super amazing, when it didn't beat intel nor was it blown away, BD are good CPU's for overclocking, my friend runs his 4100 at 5.1 GHZ and it runs fine. In short: The hype train fell off the bridge and people were mad because they were expecting the holy grail of CPUs and most consider it a "failure" but really, it's a great platform that AMD can advance and possibly be the best for a while, remember AMD was kicking intels ass at one time. Most people who flame AMD don't realize that without AMD intel would stil have old CPU's for rediculous prices, no competition means no driving forward and just keep making a proven tech and making minor updates to save resources and make more profit. Sorry for the long rant but a lot of people who use intel disregard AMD (not all just a lot) as the lesser brand when really, AMD was brave enough to take on the industry giant Intel and succeeded in becoming one of the big two CPU makers. AMD and intel, it's a see saw, and right now intel is the fat kid and amd almost balances out but Intel wins this generation for raw performance, but does everyone NEED the fastest? AMD is a good CPU and I wouldn't let the flamers change your mind about BD unless you wanted a high end phenom 2 (1100t/1090t/980 BE).

Thanks and good luck!
m
l
February 26, 2012 10:03:07 AM

Thanks for the posts everybody, you have all been so helpful :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 10:12:11 AM

Save up and move to a 7950 or 7970 if you can. 6950s are nice GPUs, but xfiring them will limit your upgrade path later.
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:05:40 PM

Sorry for all the questions but I just have so many! :D  But because I'm low on money at the moment would it be wise to buy an hd6870 and use that for the middle screen and the hd6950 for the two outside screens?
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
March 3, 2012 6:59:40 AM

get the single card like hd 7950 or hd 7970 they both do well in eyefinity.
m
l
!