Sign in with
Your question

Painting an Antec 300

Last response: in Components
August 16, 2012 3:17:58 PM

Hey guys, so my antec 300 is on route for delivery to my house and I decided that I want to paint the inside of the case. Now, I am really not picky about it I definitely don't need a perfect paint job by any means I just want first-glance to look like a clean black paint job inside. I really don't want to go about removing the rivets, and I also have several cans of black spray paint already but they are different brands with similar colours of black. So my questions are:

1) will I be fine spray painting the inside without disassembling the whole thing ?

2) Will it be a big deal if I use two different blacks. Not like I will be using gloss and matte, they are all flat black. But one of the cans has a "metal finish" that gives it a unique textured look says the can, should I avoid it ?

3) Will sanding it alone be enough ?

Like I said it doesn't have to be perfect I think anything will look better then the ugly grey :) 

More about : painting antec 300

August 16, 2012 4:04:22 PM

Dont do things at half ass you'll wish later you did it properly

1 - No not really it will be messy and scruffy this way

2 - Again not really unless you want the messy look...... really its spray paint go to halfords it dont cost alot.

3 - Lightly sanding the surface to paint is yes the correct thing.

Your method may not look better than the grey
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2012 4:09:20 PM

Personally, I only wish the Antec 300/302 was available with solid (no fan mount/vent) side panels and top but extra filtered intake fan mounts at the bottom.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 4:24:55 PM

wr6133 said:
Dont do things at half ass you'll wish later you did it properly

1 - No not really it will be messy and scruffy this way

2 - Again not really unless you want the messy look...... really its spray paint go to halfords it dont cost alot.

3 - Lightly sanding the surface to paint is yes the correct thing.

Your method may not look better than the grey

how messy looking are we talking about here ? Like will the bad paint job be the first thing you notice when you open it up ?

Honestly I don't want to spend hours/days preparing and actually painting the thing. I just want to make her a matte black, how could not disassembling really screw me up that bad ?

Not trying to sound lazy or rude. I'm just going to university in 2 weeks and have so much on my plate and I don't want to spend days doing this. Just something that looks not too bad
m
l
August 16, 2012 4:30:13 PM

It would be unacceptable cringe worthy mess to me But I am very picky

The time to do it properly may be a bit longer but really this case could last years so maybe worth it?

Depends on how picky you are and what you can live with I suppose. Personally I couldn't
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2012 4:31:40 PM

headlesszombie said:
Not trying to sound lazy or rude. I'm just going to university in 2 weeks and have so much on my plate and I don't want to spend days doing this. Just something that looks not too bad

With all the folded sheet metal and overlapping pieces, it is going to be difficult to get a nice even coat everywhere without taking the whole thing apart.
m
l
August 16, 2012 4:51:44 PM

but wouldn't a subpar black paintjob still look better then the stock :/ 

I wouldn't even know where to start on taking this thing apart. I'm no case modder
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:06:06 PM

also, if I just go for it and it does look like crap, I could always just respray it couldn't I ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2012 5:11:27 PM

headlesszombie said:
also, if I just go for it and it does look like crap, I could always just respray it couldn't I ?

OK im confused,

Isnt the inside of the Antec 300 already painted black, so why paint it black again?

And mainly as my Father always said, "If a jobs worth doing, its worth doing properly" !
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:14:58 PM

Uther39 said:
OK im confused,

Isnt the inside of the Antec 300 already painted black, so why paint it black again?

And mainly as my Father always said, "If a jobs worth doing, its worth doing properly" !

It is not painted black, just the regular greyish colour. I got the 300 illusion model I should have specified.

and I also agree with that quote, but the thing is the job is barely worth doing as it is :p  I just decided I might as well since I haven't sold my old case yet. Just wanted to make it look somewhat decent but apparently I can't with my method ?
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:17:55 PM

You could yes but it would then involve all the work of doing it properly + the work of removing the prior messy job.

I dont want to put you off if you really want to try it do but I honestly think the result will be rough and it may be better to put up with standard grey till you can do a proper job.
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:19:36 PM

OK, you might not want to waste a lot of time doing this, but you will get infinitely more pleasing results. First, use a sponge and detergent to wipe down as much of the area you want to paint as possible, and then use another clean sponge with water to clean the detergent off the area you want to paint. This will remove any oily residue from manufacturing. Let the case dry for about a half hour to an hour.

Next, use fine grit sandpaper to scruf up the surfaces you want to paint. This will help the paint adhere better to those surfaces. Again, use a damp sponge to clean up the grit from the sanding and let the case dry.

Use painter's tape (yes, the blue stuff) and mask any areas you do not want to be painted. Take out any trays, inserts, etc. If you can unscrew it, take it out/off. Very important! Take out as much plastic as you can! Some plastic will actually soften due to the emulsifiers in spray paint, especially acrylic spray paint. Even if it is a part you aren't going to paint, the fumes are enough to do the damage. If the part(s) are riveted into place, then you will just have to live with it.

Then, using long, even strokes, position the pieces to be painted on a tarp or newspaper and hold the can about 12 inches away from the surface you are painting and try to get as even a coverage as possible. You will want to put on an even coat, let it dry, and then check to see if the color is heavy enough. If it isn't, apply another coat using the same technique, until you are satisfied.
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:39:07 PM

well I'm really not sure what I am going to do. How hard/what do i need to do to remove and replace the rivets if I did want to take it apart ? OR, what if I just did everything else properly and left the case together ?

Right now I just did a sample on the right inside panel just to see what it looks like. Doesn't matter if it sucks since I don't care about the right panel lol
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:41:25 PM

ok well I didn't realize, but the can of spray paint I used was some "high heat enamel fast drying" flat black paint. I did one coat quickly and I did a poor job, but it actually doesn't look bad at all and looks dry already after 15 mins O_o. Will it get a lot lighter as it dries more ? Because it's not the darkest black, but damn it looks a hell of a lot better then the grey !
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:31:40 PM

this high-heat flat black spray paint is great so far !! I'm probably going to do the whole thing this way
m
l
August 16, 2012 10:40:43 PM

well guys, if any amateur case moders are reading this thread for help, I can attest that my method works great if you don't care about the small details when painting the inside of your case.

I used this paint:
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-D%C3%A9cor/Paint/Specialty/Hi-heat/340g-Flat-Black-High-Heat-Enamel-Alkyd-Paint/_/N-ntlnqZ2ppz/No-96/R-I1820578?Num=0

for the entire inside and it is extremely forgiving for small mistakes and it gives a nice charcoalish-black colour that looks great imo. I didn't take it apart and I didn't even sand because I realized it made little difference. Bought three cans of the stuff and just coated the inside every 10-15 minutes because it's fast drying as well. Much faster and efficient method, if you aren't too too concerned about it :D 

thanks for all the help though guys ! would anyone like pics or don't bother
m
l
!