Rule of thumb for number of pictures on memory card?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 29, 2005 11:07:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

Can some one here please advise me.

I am referring of cameras in the 4 to 5 Megapixel category which
would cost about $250 new.

My question is: Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out how
many pictures I can store in a certain capacity memory card, such as
64 MB?

I saw some charts for two different cameras and they seemed to have
quite different numbers. I was trying to match for the same sort of
quality and the same size image/print.

Is there a rule of thumb I can apply? Something like .... "a pretty-
good quality color 8x10 stored as a jpeg will need 2 MB".

(Of course that figure is just guesswork.)

Thank you.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:07:28 AM

Susan P wrote:
> Can some one here please advise me.
>
> I am referring of cameras in the 4 to 5 Megapixel category which
> would cost about $250 new.
>
> My question is: Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out how
> many pictures I can store in a certain capacity memory card, such as
> 64 MB?
>
> I saw some charts for two different cameras and they seemed to have
> quite different numbers. I was trying to match for the same sort of
> quality and the same size image/print.
>
> Is there a rule of thumb I can apply? Something like .... "a pretty-
> good quality color 8x10 stored as a jpeg will need 2 MB".
>
> (Of course that figure is just guesswork.)
>
> Thank you.

Good Guess!
The number of MB used by a camera to record, say a 4 MP image, depends
on several things.
1. The amount of detail in the image itself.
2. The format (tiff, jpeg)in which the image is saved.
We will assume jpeg.
3. The amount of compression selected by the user.
We will assume finest quality jpeg.
4. The compression algorithm used by the camera manufacturer.
We will assume Canon, Nikon, Olympus (Kodak compresses more than

most others).
Having said all that, an "average" 4MP image saved in finest quality
jpeg format will require about 1.5 - 2.0 MB of memory
That will make a high quality 8x10 print.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:13:07 AM

Susan P wrote:
> Can some one here please advise me.
>
> I am referring of cameras in the 4 to 5 Megapixel category which
> would cost about $250 new.

Buy a good camera and as you change res it'll tell you how many shots
you can shoot on your card.

> My question is: Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out how
> many pictures I can store in a certain capacity memory card, such as
> 64 MB?

Shoot at high res and get a card around 512 Megs or just a bit lower.
Cards are really cheap these days. Why skimp?

Don

Camera manuals, Photoshop, photographers monographs:
http://www.1world-design.com/book/index.html

> I saw some charts for two different cameras and they seemed to have
> quite different numbers. I was trying to match for the same sort of
> quality and the same size image/print.
>
> Is there a rule of thumb I can apply? Something like .... "a pretty-
> good quality color 8x10 stored as a jpeg will need 2 MB".
>
> (Of course that figure is just guesswork.)
>
> Thank you.
June 30, 2005 12:42:10 AM

Susan P wrote:
> Can some one here please advise me.
>
> I am referring of cameras in the 4 to 5 Megapixel category which
> would cost about $250 new.
>
> My question is: Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out how
> many pictures I can store in a certain capacity memory card, such as
> 64 MB?
>
> I saw some charts for two different cameras and they seemed to have
> quite different numbers. I was trying to match for the same sort of
> quality and the same size image/print.
>
> Is there a rule of thumb I can apply? Something like .... "a pretty-
> good quality color 8x10 stored as a jpeg will need 2 MB".
>
> (Of course that figure is just guesswork.)
>
> Thank you.

There are several factors that determine how many pictures will fit on a
card of given size, and some of them aren't easily quantifiable. First,
you need to know the parameters your camera uses for the compression,
the setting (if any) of the camera for compression, and then the actual
compression is affected by the actual subject matter of the image.
My camera is a 4 mp, and files range from about 300k to nearly 2 meg.
If I were going to estimate the number of pictures on a card, I would
estimate 1.5 meg for each 4 mp picture, and 2 meg for each 5 mp picture.
That should give you a conservative estimate of how many pictures you
can get on a card.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

The camera manual will tell you that. Also some cameras will display
the number of images that will fit onto a given memory card.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:07:27 +0100, Susan P <Susan_P@nomail.com>
wrote:

>Can some one here please advise me.
>
>I am referring of cameras in the 4 to 5 Megapixel category which
>would cost about $250 new.
>
>My question is: Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out how
>many pictures I can store in a certain capacity memory card, such as
>64 MB?
>
>I saw some charts for two different cameras and they seemed to have
>quite different numbers. I was trying to match for the same sort of
>quality and the same size image/print.
>
>Is there a rule of thumb I can apply? Something like .... "a pretty-
>good quality color 8x10 stored as a jpeg will need 2 MB".
>
>(Of course that figure is just guesswork.)
>
>Thank you.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:11:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

Susan,

The number of pictures stored will first depend on which file size you
have your camera set to store pictures at. At the largest file size
2272x1704 you will get 32 +/- pictures.
At this point let me tell a little story. Just after I bought my 4 mp
camera my wife and I drove from San Francisco to Seattle. As a newbie,
I left the camera set at the factory setting and every picture I took
could only be printed maybe at 5x7. I was so bummed out. I had some
awesome pictures to view but cannot print easily or well. So I now
shoot at the largest setting my camera will shoot. Now I can upload a
picture to a developeer online and get 20"x30" posters if I choose.
And because storage chips are sooo cheap now, I have several.

Good luck good shooting
Gray G.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:11:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

In article <96844879048A772A58@66.250.146.159>,
Susan P <Susan_P@nomail.com> wrote:

> Can some one here please advise me.
>
> I am referring of cameras in the 4 to 5 Megapixel category which
> would cost about $250 new.
>
> My question is: Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out how
> many pictures I can store in a certain capacity memory card, such as
> 64 MB?
>
> I saw some charts for two different cameras and they seemed to have
> quite different numbers. I was trying to match for the same sort of
> quality and the same size image/print.
>
> Is there a rule of thumb I can apply? Something like .... "a pretty-
> good quality color 8x10 stored as a jpeg will need 2 MB".
>
> (Of course that figure is just guesswork.)

For 4 and 5 megapixel cameras the (approximate) rule of thumb would be a
simple 1mb for each picture - a 256mb card will hold around 250 pictures.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:11:34 PM

In rec.photo.digital Stewy <anyone4tennis@hotmail.com> wrote:
: In article <96844879048A772A58@66.250.146.159>,
: Susan P <Susan_P@nomail.com> wrote:

: > Can some one here please advise me.
: >
[...]

My advise is to choose some subject at home that has lots of contrasting
elements (like a bookshelf full of books, I used a wide angle view of my
very full DVD shelves) and shoot until the memory card is full. I did
this with my Ist-DS and found that even tho a new card in the camera
shows a capacity of 164 images, I took 326 images before the camera
would take no more. So I always state my capacity as a range of images.
In general I figure that the capacity shown on the camera when I give it
an empty card is the low end, and the high end seems to be about double
that. This rule of thumb works both for my Ist-DS and for my coolpix 2200
(backup camera). But I suggest that you try it and see for yourself.

BTW, the reason I mention a high contrast image for the test because the
more contrasting detail in an image the less compressing will be done in
the JPG conversion. Of course this means that if your images have large
low contrast areas, or large single color areas, you may be able to get
even more images on the card because the single color areas can compress
much more efficiently. But it is better to assume a capacity that is
"likely" and be pleasantly suprized in the field than the reverse. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:57:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

From: "Stewy" <anyone4tennis@hotmail.com>

| For 4 and 5 megapixel cameras the (approximate) rule of thumb would be a
| simple 1mb for each picture - a 256mb card will hold around 250 pictures.

Just a comment...
You need to get you nomenclature correct.

1mb = 1 megabit
1MB - 1 megabyte

1mb <>1MB

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:11:33 +0900, Stewy <anyone4tennis@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <96844879048A772A58@66.250.146.159>,
> Susan P <Susan_P@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can some one here please advise me.
>>
>> I am referring of cameras in the 4 to 5 Megapixel category which
>> would cost about $250 new.
>>
>> My question is: Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out how
>> many pictures I can store in a certain capacity memory card, such as
>> 64 MB?
>>
>> I saw some charts for two different cameras and they seemed to have
>> quite different numbers. I was trying to match for the same sort of
>> quality and the same size image/print.
>>
>> Is there a rule of thumb I can apply? Something like .... "a pretty-
>> good quality color 8x10 stored as a jpeg will need 2 MB".
>>
>> (Of course that figure is just guesswork.)
>>
>For 4 and 5 megapixel cameras the (approximate) rule of thumb would be a
>simple 1mb for each picture - a 256mb card will hold around 250 pictures.

http://www.sandisk.com/pdf/retail/Megapixel_Flyer.pdf
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:43:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

news:p 3xxe.1322$Yb4.746@trnddc08...
> 1mb = 1 megabit
> 1MB - 1 megabyte
>
> 1mb <>1MB

M = mega = 1,000,000
m = milli = 1/1000

See SI units prefix definition for details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:45:03 AM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 04:37:22 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum
<rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:

>In rec.photo.digital Stewy <anyone4tennis@hotmail.com> wrote:
>: In article <96844879048A772A58@66.250.146.159>,
>: Susan P <Susan_P@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>: > Can some one here please advise me.
>: >
>: > I am referring of cameras in the 4 to 5 Megapixel category which
>: > would cost about $250 new.
>: >
>: > My question is: Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out how
>: > many pictures I can store in a certain capacity memory card, such as
>: > 64 MB?
>: >

I'd suggest a 256 megabyte card for a 4-5 megapixel camera...
As a 128 megabytle card (SD or CF) can be purchased now for
about $20, this should be the very "minimum" size to consider.

A good "rule of thumb" is that your file size will be 1/2 the number of
megapixels that you're shooting at. This varies of course with the
degree of compression with the lowest compression setting producing
the largest file sizes. Most cameras have three settings, with the middle
compression setting generally being satisfactory for most purposes. I
might however add that subject detail will make a very large difference.
My Minolta Z10 (three megapixel) with a 128 meg SD card shows 147 at
the start before any pictures are placed on the card. This is at the camera's
"standard" setting. My Canon A60 (two megapixel) gives 221 using a 128
meg CF card at its "middle" setting. At "superfine" I get 123, but I can't
see very much difference in the quality of the picture over the middle
setting. Same is true with my Minolta, which drops to 76 and simply
produces a bigger file. There is a bit more "detail" I suppose, but it
is hard to see any difference when viewed on a 1280x1024 monitor. I
suspect prints (8x10) made on photographic paper might show it, but
I haven't so far had a print made up in that size from a digital photo.

Jerome Bigge
Photographer and Astronomer
Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"
!