Thermal paste onG620 CPU

CKG

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Recently I assembled new pc using a new g620 intel processor on a H61 ww mobo. It works allright . But one thing pesters my mind. I installed the heat sink as it came . There was the thermal compound pasted on it .But my doubt is whether there was a transparent plastic cover over the compound though i don't remember finding any. Does the intel heat sink come with a with a plastic cover over ther the thermal compound which should be removed before installation. Will somebody Please give me an answer.

CK GANGADHAR

There is no plastic peel off. I always wipe that stuff off and go with Artic Silver 5 especially if you would overclocking. If you are using the enclosed heatsink that thermal paste should be fine. Check your PCU temps through your BIOS or download something like Coretemp

CKG

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you very much for your reply. There was no no molded plastic cap over the heatsink fan. My worry is is only about the possibility of having peel -off plastic over the HSF .Is it likely?

InvalidError

Titan

One simple way to tell whether or not you might have something unexpected between your CPU and HSF would be to check CPU core temperature with CPUInfo HardwareMonitor. If you get 100% load temperatures in excess of 80C, you know there is something wrong with the way you mounted it since the stock Sandy Bridge HSF should be able to keep a G620 under 70C unless your case ventilation is bad.