Sign in with
Your question

BUILDING A NEW IVEY BRIDGE SYSTEM FOR GAMING

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2012 6:57:00 PM

Hi there, I'm in search of some advice for my new ivey bridge build. From reading various forums, it seems my best bet is to post what I have in mind and learn from the advice given to me. The main use for this computer will be for gaming, 3D AutoCAD, Revit Architecture, perhaps 3ds Max and just general internet surfing/multitasking along with watching videos. I guess I'll follow the conventional format and post what I have in mind and hopefully you can all help me out with some sound advice.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: 1200 After Rebates (including peripherals.. not sure if this is even realistic since I'm looking at running 2 monitors. Maybe you guys will suggest 1 monitor instead of 2, I'm open to changes.)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, 3d Modeling, Watching movies, Surfing internet.

Parts Not Required: N/A - need all parts

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, ncix, memory express. Idealy I would want to price match components and buy them at a local memory express.

Parts Preferences: I would prefer ASUS for the Mobo (Intel z77 chipset), Intel ivey bridge cpu, either ASUS or EVGA gpu, not sure about the rest. As long as components are compatible.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe if I need to do rendering but this is unlikely since I can remote access my work station

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I would like this PC to be as quiet as possible. I would like to stick with stock cooling options. I am assuming the bigger the case, the better the airflow and thus cooling? I could be completely wrong, but this is the reason I am looking at full ATX cases instead of mid.

So here is what I have in mind:

CPU & MOBO BUNDLE

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

$454.98
*For some reason, memory express does not seem to carry the LK model, only the LX. So I'm not sure if I would be stuck ordering for this online. Otherwise I could price match the cpu from ncix for $299.99 (Link Below) and just buy the LX model.

Price match (Ends May 8)
Intel Core i7 3770 Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Ivy Bridge 8MB Retail

$299.99

P8Z77-V-LX w/ Dual DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX

$154.99

RAM

gskill RipjawsZ Series PC3-14900 DDR3 16GB Kit (4 x 4GB) F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL

$119.99
*Also considering buying the 8GB pack and upgrading later if I need to.

Hard Drive
Thinking of buying an OCZ 120GB SSD. I have seen several on sale at NCIX for under $150
Also thinking of buying a 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive (Any Suggestions)

Video Card
Asus ENGTX560 DirectCU GeForce GTX 560 1GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI

$204.99
*Either this card, or the Ti version. (Also open to suggestions)

Case
I'm not sure..
I've seen the Antec Eleven Hundred on sale at NCIX
Or maybe ANTEC Solo II Case

$129.99
*Again, wide open to suggestions.

Power Supply
This one I must admit I really don't know anything about. From reading several forums, it seems each build needs a different psu but in general I would be looking at 650W. Corsair's estimator spit out 550W but I would like to err on the side of caution. Any suggestions for a good PSU for the build i'm looking at?

Optical Drive
A cheap one will do just fine

Display
I was initially thinking of a multi display with 2 monitors. Now I am not so sure anymore. It is quite convenient when used for everyday browsing, etc. But is it really necessary? Would the money for that second monitor be better spent else where? What are your opinions on this? I would like the monitor to be atleast 1920x1080 for HD viewing.

Keyboard and Mouse
At work, I do a lot of 3d modeling and thus use my mouse and keyboard at least 8 hours a day. Using a normal mouse made my wrist ache. I've since upgraded to a microsoft ergonomic mouse but would like to know if there are any better ergonomic mouses out there. Is there such a thing as an ergonomic gaming mouse? That would be amazing since I would be able to use the mouse both at home and at work. As for the keyboard, I have no clue.

Thank you all in advance for your time and help. This is my first build and I'd like the experience to be a good one.

If you need anymore information or if I haven't provided enough, please let me know.

May 2, 2012 7:25:41 PM

This build is solid but just a few things."

1. Dont forget you're going to need an OS. Unless you plan on using Linux that's going to add on another 100 dollars ( unless you are going to college which should drop the price.)

2. With this build you'll also only have roughly 100$ for monitor ( thats without OS) which is going to be hard to find at 1080p... but is possible if you really look.

3. 16gb is a bit overkill for a 1200 price point. I wouldn't worry about 16 gb 8 is more than enough. You'd be hard pressed to use over 8gb... HOWEVER I dont know much about editing software so it might take advantage of more than 8gb.

4. Lastly you are a bit CPU heavy. I would drop down to an I5 and bump up your graphics, I7 with a 560 gtx or 560ti is just overkill. Try to squeeze in a 570 or AMD 7850-7870 if you can. I think you'll find very little performance difference between the i7 and i5
May 2, 2012 7:29:11 PM

PS: I forgot to add. The 7000 series scores much better benches in Autocad, compute programs, etc etc, then kepler or fermi ( nvidia 6xx or 5xx) so the amd 7000 series would be much better for you.
Related resources
May 2, 2012 7:47:43 PM

That Asus LK isn't carried in Canada. If your looking for a single card board then look at this board. Also any order over $50 CAD is FREE SHIPPING at Direct Canada and Best Direct Canada. Those two retailers are affiliated and both are out of Richmond, BC.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950BD1852&v... $127.44
ASRock Z77 Pro 3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 CrossFireX 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Pro3 <----- another look at that board

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/233770/P1550SXXB9/XFX... $62.12
XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze
May 4, 2012 8:43:50 PM

If you're going Ivy bridge/Z77, might as well get a PCI-express 3.0 graphics card.
!