Is the graphics Card I'm buying Decent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdizzle

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hello all I plan to buy this video card

GALAXY Technology NVIDIA GeForce 210 1GB (1 GB) DDR2 (VGA, DVI, HDMI)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6671492&CatId=3669

selling for 31$ at tiger direct. Anyways i was just wondering if this card could play League of Legends, Starcraft 2 and Skyrim on at least medium settings.
if not could you recommend a different card for me the max I can handle is 35-50$ preferably a cheaper card.

I have an old card but nothing like this. It's a Radeon 9250 HIS 265 MB and 128 bit would that be better? or worse?

Thank you for reading this :p

Your friend
Preston Breithaupt

Solution

]

As for the 4650, its a pretty good card and heres some benches from...

pdizzle

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
iMicro CA-IM1207B 350W 20+4pin Mini ATX Mini Tower Case (Black) - CA-IM1207B BLACK MATX 350W

ASRock 4CORE1333-GLAN R2 Core2 Quad 1066/800FSB Motherboard w/ DDR2 800/667, PCI Express x16, SATA 300

2GB PC5300 DDR2 667MHZ SAMSUNG 240PIN ECC Reg 2X1GB RAM MEMORY LIFETIME WARRANTY buying a set of two for 4gb total.

NEW! SAMSUNG 22X INTERNAL SATA DVD-RW DL BURNER WRITER Desktop Drive

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 2.4 GHz Quad-Core SLACR Processor

Western Digital 250GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 3.5" WD2500

That's the build I'm building I was just wondering if that graphics card would do ok for starcraft 2 mainly.

since it won't please suggest a different card for me thanx. And if you feel that any part of that build is inferior please tell me. I was budgeting myself because I'm only 14 and building a pc. later when I'm 17-18 I'll build a way better rig.

Again this is the card i'm looking at GALAXY Technology NVIDIA GeForce 210 1GB (1 GB) DDR2 (DVI, VGA, HDMI) video card

and I might buy this card MAYBE ATI Radeon HD 4650 1gb PCIE. But not sure where I'm gonna buy it from I might end up bidding for it on ebay.

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

This rig isn't bad at all, but the GPU is a bit weak, I would say save your money and go for one of these:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625
Sure, it's a bit more expensive but if you save that 31 dollars from not buying the 210 you would need only about 110 more, which is def. worth the wait. You could also eventually double up on the 550 ti's and you wouldn't need to build a new rig when you are older, unless Kepler and Ivy are game changers. The 210 is a bit weak now, and SC2 is pretty intensive. Skyrim is going to be laggy most likely with AA off and all on low. There are possibly tweaks for Skyrim to get it running smooth but still, I wouldn't waste money on a card that wont last that long in terms of performance. It's up to you in the long run, but I really think you would be satisfied with a better GPU since you are gaming primarily.

pdizzle

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Wow thank you It's nice to hear from somebody that the computer parts I sifted out are decent. :) So basically i just need a high end video card and I have a pretty nice gaming rig. I made sure to check if the case had the right cooling capabilities and witha 350w power supply it's a steal. Anyways Idk what I'm gonna do until I can buy a good video card probably just get one that can handle LOL. But the Radeon HD 4650 can handle gaming right I heard it's best card at the 50$ range. So I might get that like I said not sure. And also On my rig people keep saying the LGA775 socket and DDR2 ram are dead. They may be dead but their still great technology right?

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

]

As for the 4650, its a pretty good card and heres some benches from Tom's http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4650-agp,2383-4.html That one in paticular is crysis but there are games like Left 4 dead and Fallout on there to. You're probably going to be happy with the 4650. LoL isn't that intensive, and then with the 4650 you could prob. run SC2 fine.

As for the dead tech question, in my real honest opinion, there is no such thing as "dead tech" Sure, it's older, but it's still a good CPU and the DDR2 is fine. It's a Core 2 Quad, 4 cores so yep, it is still a good CPU. Watch this vid of a guy playing Crysis (sorry it's like my fav system benchmark) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jmCpxX26Ws and it runs like a dream. So your Core 2 Quad paired with good GPUS is still a viable system that will last for a couple years :)

I also did some more researching and this card (97 dollars) is quite a good card also if you wanted to amp up the power: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=Akg7RRdwQto6lh4RayM-6Q&cp=9&gs_id=o&xhr=t&q=nvidia+450&pq=nvidia+460&safe=off&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&ix=ieb&ion=1&biw=1862&bih=1036&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7032214029021710204&sa=X&ei=qCBKT7uNAa31sQLq_YXrCA&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQ8wIwBA

Whichever GPU you pick, I hope you enjoy it and remember the ATI card is still good to!

Solution
Only problem with upgrading that stuff, is you really cant and be cost effective. They are dead techs cause you cant find the stuff new anymore. DDR2 is stupid expensive. So if your CPU breaks down, or your motherboard does, you are SOL without spending sometimes double what it would normally, simply due to it being harder to find. Save up $400-500 and build a low budget current tech PC. The APU graphics on the new AMDs and probably the builtin Intel HD GPUs are better than a 4650 or that 210.

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

The thing is, he has what he has and it's not bad tech, the CPU and MB most likely will last him a few years and like he said when he is 17-18 he is going to build a new PC. So IMHO there is no need to blow 4-500 dollars right now when he is willing to wait a few years. It's an intel, they don't break down that often, also.

pdizzle

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Thank you Cyansnow you answered my question you've been a great help that 97$ card doesn't look half bad. I might consider it. But first I like need to get a job. But I'd rather get the 4650 because it's cheaper I might upgrade during the summer don't know. Yeah and the thought that I'm building a CPU is great. But quad core Is just great doesn't matter what kind of quad it is as long as it's quad as you said. But I only have a budget of 130$ i need to earn more haha. spent it on my 5.1 sound sytem and 32 inch 1080i tv. anyways thanx for listening and have a great night. oh also could I use that radeon HD 4650 to connect my tv and computer monitor at the same time? I think it's called Dual monitoring I mainly want it to watch high def movies when I get the rig built. And one more thing could you suggest a good widget to monitor CPU and RAM frequency usage and temperature? thanx again Cyan snow :) As you can tell at 14 I'm really interested in technology.

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Hmm, as for the temp monitor I use Core Temp for my CPU as far as the GPU temp monitoring I think Real Temp is a good program heres a link: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ It's not really a widget but on a Logitech G15 using coretemp it displays on the keyboards screen for me. But if you use Core Temp it should show on the windows task bar a number, if it's yellow it should be okay and if it's red shut the PC down and let it cool, and that means it needs a good heatsink also, but I doubt this will happen because I have worked with several Core 2 Quads and the run pretty cool. As for dual monitoring, ATI has a technology called Eyefinity if that is what you are wondering, it allows for stuff like this: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/09/090910-ati-eyefinity-04.jpg to be done. If you wanted to just run two monitors to have the TV running a movie and the monitor running like a web browser, it should probably be in the Nvidia/Ati control panel (For me, I right click on desktop and click nvidia control panel and thats how I set up my monitors).

Feel free to message me if you need more help!

(EDIT) Oh and the TV is HDMI right? If so, simply plug the TV into the HDMI port on the card and then plug the monitor into VGA if that is what you use on your computer monitor.

pdizzle

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah the TV is HDMI and the monitor is VGA all I need is a supported GPU with HDMI right? i can't try out that Real temp cause I'm on a pentium 4 but it sounds cool. Thanx Cyansnow you've been a great help When I get the parts and assemble my computer I'll message you and tell you how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.