What is the Average and Max temp for AMD Athlon?

sakura_blades

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I've got an AMD Athlon X2 4400 CPU and have been told I am running hot lately. I've read and heard different things about what I should be running at and would love a clear answer that I can be comfortable with.
Running with I guess would be called a small load, firefox, skype and SIWPortable for temperature readings... My CPU runs anywhere from 53-57C. While playing my game (WoW) my CPU runs anywhere from 58-68C.
I was told that my max temperature for my CPU is 55-68C. I have read in a few places that my max temp can be as high as 78-79C. So I don't which one I should believe. Am I running really hot and should be concerned, or the temperatures I've got going on just normal?

If I am indeed running a little hot, I'd like to know what I can do to solve my problem. I have recently cleaned out the fan, put new Thermal Compound on my CPU and checked to make sure that the fan is even running correctly.

sakura_blades

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not sure what I should upgrade to. I feel that replacing a heatsink and a fan for my CPU is a little more difficult than finding a RAM stick or Video card that will fit into my computer. I am also not sure what kind of fan I have in my machine right now either... :\

sakura_blades

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
That looks spiffy and all, but I am not sure it would fit into my computer case with the layout I got going on. Of course I'm not sure how exactly it would attach to my CPU and work to begin with.... The little video is only good for assembling it before attaching it. My CPU is located at the very bottom of my tower case, and is towards to back of the motherboard there, with a few other parts between it and the wall. With how low my CPU sits the fan I have now is only a half inch to an inch away from the bottom. :\

jay_nar2012

Distinguished

SteveH3671

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, temps too high, you don't really want to be going over 65 for too long with an X2.

Something isn't quite right with the airflow in your case though, you shouldn't be going much over 50 under load, I never did when I ran an X2-6000 at 3.15 GHz even with the stock cooler. Once I put an Akasa heatpipe fan on it (much like the upright Coolermaster one linked to) temps were only just above 40 under load.

Obviously having the CPU low down in the case should in theory be cooler than the top of the case but perhaps the air around it is just not getting exhausted. I'm sure a slightly better cooler will help a bit but any chance you can get an extra exhaust fan in the back of the case, or an intake fan on the side?

sakura_blades

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not exactly sure what's going on, all fans (with the exception of my Video-card) are working as they should, or atleast it appears so. I don't see any more room in my case to put another fan, it's pretty cramped in there as it is. I don't know how long it's been running this hot, but I've had it against a wall with exhaust holes on the side pointing out and the rear of it a good couple of inches from the wall.
I have recently put a personal fan blowing into my computer tower since last night and it has lowered the temperature to an average of 50C. With that being said, I'm not too sure that it's a problem of heat being trapped inside as the side is completely off now.

sakura_blades

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I have a single fan in the back of my case that sits right next to the CPU, it is the only case fan I have at the moment. I have a computer savvy friend coming on Monday to take a look at my computer and possibly help me install another case fan if need be. I hope he will be able to help me fix what is going wrong...

Though as I think about it, why haven't I had troubles with my computer in the past if nothing has really changed since I got it? Has it always been running this hot, or is something gone wrong recently? :\

TRENDING THREADS