sirashram

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hey Community!
Tomorrow I would like to upgrade my current Gaming PC build because I believe I am experiencing what you all define as bottlenecking.
My current specs are:
HIS IceQ Radeon 6950 2GB
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.1GHz no OC
16GB 1333 10600 DDR3
Corsair TX650
MSI 870A-G55 Mobo
Seagate 500GB HDD

I am experiencing "frame skipping", "jumping", "visual lag" whatever in the higher settings of Arkham City, Skyrim, the max settings in The First Templar and a few benchmark tests. (FFXIV becnhmark, The Last Remnant Benchmark, etc.) I think my processor and maybe my HD is to blame.....Ive heard that HDs have a very small percentage of effect on game and other editing software performance.

My local CompUSA is advertising a i7 2600k for $60 off the normal price, which is the same as a 3750k...so that is a great thing, plus I was also going to change to a Z77 mobo thats on sale, and get an OCZ 240GB SSD also on sale, and run my 500GB HDD as a slave. Do you all believe that this setup will greatly improve my framerates and overall PC performance? Again, Im new to this stuff so be gentle.....lol

I don't think your cpu is bottlenecking your gpu. You can test if your bottlenecking by overclocking your processor.

Run a benchmark. Then overclock your cpu and run the benchmark again. If your graphics score goes up, then your cpu was bottlenecking your video card.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Issues in Arkham City maxed out......... hmmmmm maybe as your card cant play it at 60FPS maxed out.

Seriously has FHM done a badly written article on hardware bottlenecks or somethings? Amount of these threads this week are nuts there was one where a guy had a "bottleneck" as his 560ti couldnt run BF3 @ ultra at 60FPS.

sirashram

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
If I am not bottlenecking then I am a little upset at the fact that a 2GB $300+ superclocked vid card cant run a game thats a year old at max settings.....
I was considering a GTX 670 but on Passmark.com the difference between my card and that one wasnt TOO spectacular. Well thanks anyway you guys. I appreciate your input. Im going to get that Intel and SSD anyway since Ill be going into sound and video editing this fall in addition to gaming. Have a good one you all.

sirashram

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
@amuffin
Thank you for that link. I looked at some other hardware I was thinking about and it turns out the Samsung 830 beats out the OCZ SSD and it really WILL make the difference to go ahead and switch to Intel until I can get my hands on a ZOTAC GTX 670. I appreciate the input!