4890 freezes computer in graphics intense games.

pixelpojken

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
So, I have this old XFX Radeon HD 4890 that always makes the computer crash into some noisy mono-colored screen with screeching after playing a while in heavy games like BF3 or RIFT. Thing is, if I downclock the card in CCC and up the fan manually to 75%-100% it will last much longer or won't crash at all.
I've checked temps, they're rarely above 60 degrees centigrades and I've removed all dust (applied new artic silver paste too). I thought about juice from the psu too but problem didn't go away with a new Corsair HX750 w. Re-installed drivers etc, never oc'ed it at all.

I'm going to build a new comp come kepler and ivybridge but the gadget nerd in me wants to know why my card is acting up. Space and air-flow is sufficient too. As of now I've decided it's simply age, comps and gfx-cards are consumer good after all.

Any enlightening thoughts will be much appreciated, if only to teach me more about comps :)

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Since it's an XFX card, it probably has the Double Lifetime warranty, so you can RMA it for a replacement.

It might also be because your overclocks on the processor are too high or there's not enough voltage, that was my case when I had my 4890, may be different for you, also check connections, and the 4890 may not be receiving enough voltage anymore, use GPU-Z to check.

pokio134

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I got same problems as you, using 2 R4890 cyclone in crossfire mode. Running with 1 card just don't fix it. don't think rest of machine.

Spec : FX 4000 serie CPU
Asus motherboar with 8 G Ram ( cosair Think )
1 monitor onlly, was looking for another.

TRENDING THREADS