4890 freezes computer in graphics intense games.

So, I have this old XFX Radeon HD 4890 that always makes the computer crash into some noisy mono-colored screen with screeching after playing a while in heavy games like BF3 or RIFT. Thing is, if I downclock the card in CCC and up the fan manually to 75%-100% it will last much longer or won't crash at all.
I've checked temps, they're rarely above 60 degrees centigrades and I've removed all dust (applied new artic silver paste too). I thought about juice from the psu too but problem didn't go away with a new Corsair HX750 w. Re-installed drivers etc, never oc'ed it at all.

I'm going to build a new comp come kepler and ivybridge but the gadget nerd in me wants to know why my card is acting up. Space and air-flow is sufficient too. As of now I've decided it's simply age, comps and gfx-cards are consumer good after all.

Any enlightening thoughts will be much appreciated, if only to teach me more about comps :)
4 answers Last reply
More about 4890 freezes computer graphics intense games
  1. It's possible the card is dying....
  2. Since it's an XFX card, it probably has the Double Lifetime warranty, so you can RMA it for a replacement.

It might also be because your overclocks on the processor are too high or there's not enough voltage, that was my case when I had my 4890, may be different for you, also check connections, and the 4890 may not be receiving enough voltage anymore, use GPU-Z to check.
  3. Forgot to mention , system less that 1 yrs old.
  4. I got same problems as you, using 2 R4890 cyclone in crossfire mode. Running with 1 card just don't fix it. don't think rest of machine.

Spec : FX 4000 serie CPU
    Asus motherboar with 8 G Ram ( cosair Think )
    1 monitor onlly, was looking for another.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Computer Graphics