dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Sorry if this has been done to death but im trying to sort my cpu temps out; I worry that they are too high and I keep reseating heatsink.

I have a 2500k, p67 ud4, coolermaster hyper 212 plus and a cm 690 ii advanced. At stock my cpu idles at35 with an ambient room temp of 14 degrees. At load just over 50 degrees.

I just raised cpu to 4ghz and left everything else default. Idle was about 39 and im running prime now and getting a 63 average with 13 degree ambient. Are these temps ok or is there a prob with heatsink (or my intalling of it).

Would appreciate any advice!

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
that seems a bit hot... maybe you put too much thermal paste on. i have my 3770k clocked at 4.2 GHz with 1.18V and i don't even hit 63c and my idle temps are exactly the same as my room temp (24c). keep in mind this is ivy bridge, these things are supposed to heat up like mad.

there are many different ways to apply thermal paste. in fact, there are many arguments about it and it's ridiculous. i think tomshardware should try all of the different ways and see which one is more effective. that would finally shut everyone up about it. i personally just put a grain of rice sized amount in the center and then very gently move the CPU cooler around to spread out the thermal paste and make it as thin and flat possible.

InvalidError

Titan
63C full-load with 28C ambient, Hyper212+ and 4GHz 2500k seems fine to me.

If there was anything really wrong about the way you mounted/pasted it, you would be seeing well over 70C.

If your fan profile is set to Quiet in BIOS, the fan is likely running close to its minimum speed even at 65C.

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Ok its been runing an hour and crept up to 65 now. really and truly it is unlikely the heatsink as I have reseated it about 7 times and is always roughly the same!

Im not sure what fan speed is, I think it was set to normal. And to be honest I dont think the airflow in my case is good. I have 1 120mm front intake and two 140mm top exhaust and 1 120mm rear exhaust! Iknow 1 120mm is not enough intake but ive been playing around with fan set ups.

So you think everything is cool, excuse pun!

InvalidError

Titan
Next time you reboot, go in the BIOS and check what your CPU fan profile is set at.

IMO, the most important case fan is the rear exhaust behind the CPU and the next most important ones are the (preferably filtered) front/bottom intakes.

I personally do not use top fans since they cause negative pressure which works against the GPU's and PSU's exhaust fans and draws dust in from every other opening.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Blocks dust and stuff from going into the system through the fans (what a filter is).

Filtered= cleaned basically.

Pass (a liquid, gas, light, or sound) through a device to remove unwanted material.

Move slowly or in small quantities or numbers through something or in a specified direction: "people filtered out of the concert".

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Ok, sorry if this seems silly, but what does filtered mean regarding fans.

Also I read something about needing equal or more exhaust than intakes; or maybe I got that wrong as his airflow business is confusing me! I got my PSU facing down btw!

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Lol I was thinking far to technical; my case has dust filters all over.

Ok so when I rebooted I saw that my fan was set to normal. I have now changed it to run at full all the time, cranked the cpu to 4.2 with everything else stock and am now getting temps of 66 with ambient of 29! Is that ok?

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
And I did say filtered regarding fans, not regarding cleaning, gas, light, sound, concerts or Pedantic replys, but thanks for clarification all the same!!

InvalidError

Titan

Some people will say this is a little on the warm side but they have to keep in mind that the 212+ is slightly worse than the 212EVO. Anything below 70C is not really worth worrying about on Sandy Bridge.

iliani007

Honorable
May 11, 2012
My intel Core i7 3960x Extreme Edition is not overclocked .i have a water cooling CPU fan (something like yours) and i get 46 degree C with room temp 25 C degree

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Sorry, do think only having 1 120mm fan is part of the problem; should I take my 2 140mm fans from top and install as a front and bottom intake, then have a 120mm rear and a 120mm top exahaust!

InvalidError

Titan

Sounds good to me. If you have two top exhausts, put the fan at the rear-most location, which should be roughly above the CPU.

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Yes thats just above the cpu! I will try that.

Also would you suggest I keep pushing multiplier up to see how high it will go with everything else at stock!

InvalidError

Titan

Knock yourself out if you really want to, lol.

You might want to do a full boot-drive backup first though, in case your OS gets corrupted by silent errors.

dan2222

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Ok I just got it to boot and run prime at 4.4ghz with temps staying below 70 but im gonna stop there. I have never heard of what you said, is a full boot drive back the same as a normal back up in windows!