I'm unable to display selected wallpaper on desktop

I'm having a problem. Whenever I choose a picture to set as desktop
wallpaper, even though I can see it on the preview of the display
properties, it doesn't not display on the desktop after applying the
settings. I've tried this with numerous images that came with windows
and from the web. It doesn't even work with the predefined themes.
It just shows a blue background with whatever color I selected on the
"Desktop" tab of the display properties. The background picture never
shows up. I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. Any ideas?

Thanks

try this

control panel>display properties>desktop (tab)> Customize desktop (button)>
Web (tab)

look there and make sure there is nothing checkmarked in the web pages
window

"kulani" <shane.mabunda@charter.net> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem. Whenever I choose a picture to set as desktop
> wallpaper, even though I can see it on the preview of the display
> properties, it doesn't not display on the desktop after applying the
> settings. I've tried this with numerous images that came with windows
> and from the web. It doesn't even work with the predefined themes.
> It just shows a blue background with whatever color I selected on the
> "Desktop" tab of the display properties. The background picture never
> shows up. I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Thanks Kenny,

I tried that but I don't have a Web tab under Customize Desktop.
Maybe that's part of the problem. Any other ideas? It's like my
picture is hidden behind the color I chose for my dekstop.

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<#cRiiZj2EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> try this
>
> control panel>display properties>desktop (tab)> Customize desktop (button)>
> Web (tab)
>
> look there and make sure there is nothing checkmarked in the web pages
> window
>

> "kulani" <shane.mabunda@charter.net> wrote in message
> > I'm having a problem. Whenever I choose a picture to set as desktop
> > wallpaper, even though I can see it on the preview of the display
> > properties, it doesn't not display on the desktop after applying the
> > settings. I've tried this with numerous images that came with windows
> > and from the web. It doesn't even work with the predefined themes.
> > It just shows a blue background with whatever color I selected on the
> > "Desktop" tab of the display properties. The background picture never
> > shows up. I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks

Hi,

This might help:

Restore the web tab - display properties (line 177 left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> Thanks Kenny,
>
> I tried that but I don't have a Web tab under Customize Desktop.
> Maybe that's part of the problem. Any other ideas? It's like my
> picture is hidden behind the color I chose for my dekstop.
>
> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<#cRiiZj2EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
>> try this
>>
>> control panel>display properties>desktop (tab)> Customize desktop (button)>
>> Web (tab)
>>
>> look there and make sure there is nothing checkmarked in the web pages
>> window
>>

>> "kulani" <shane.mabunda@charter.net> wrote in message
>> > I'm having a problem. Whenever I choose a picture to set as desktop
>> > wallpaper, even though I can see it on the preview of the display
>> > properties, it doesn't not display on the desktop after applying the
>> > settings. I've tried this with numerous images that came with windows
>> > and from the web. It doesn't even work with the predefined themes.
>> > It just shows a blue background with whatever color I selected on the
>> > "Desktop" tab of the display properties. The background picture never
>> > shows up. I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Thanks Anando,

I tried that registry fix. Didn't seem to help. I'm about ready to
reinstall XP unless anyone has any other ideas.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uEOkcKm2EHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Hi,
>
> This might help:
>
> Restore the web tab - display properties (line 177 left column)

> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "kulani" <shane.mabunda@charter.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks Kenny,
> >
> > I tried that but I don't have a Web tab under Customize Desktop.
> > Maybe that's part of the problem. Any other ideas? It's like my
> > picture is hidden behind the color I chose for my dekstop.
> >
> > "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<#cRiiZj2EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> >> try this
> >>
> >> control panel>display properties>desktop (tab)> Customize desktop (button)>
> >> Web (tab)
> >>
> >> look there and make sure there is nothing checkmarked in the web pages
> >> window
> >>

> >> "kulani" <shane.mabunda@charter.net> wrote in message

before you reinstall, try creating a new user account and see if it workes
correctly
If it does then just copy your files to the new account...

Kenny