Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX 8120 Vs. AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Last response: in CPUs
August 16, 2012 7:23:36 PM

Which is better for gaming? I just bought a Radeon 7850 and I think it is bottlenecking from my AMD Phenom II x6 1055T. If anyone knows anything about bottlenecking, would that be bottlenecked? Anyways, the only other things I have right now is 6gb ddr3 ram and a 500W Cooler Master PSU.

So if my processor is bottlenecking my GPU, which should I pick for a better gaming experience?
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 7:30:41 PM

Are you on stock cooling there and are you overclocking at all?
the two extra cores on the x6 are pretty much pointless in gaming, higher clocked quads like my 975 will beat them in Cpu driven games, I'd look to clocking that 1055 up some before buying another chip,
I'm pretty much on the side of the 965 though if forced to choose between those two, even if it is a 'downgrade' from the 1055,
and how is your ram set up? four or eight Gb is the Amd norm, not six
Moto
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 7:34:37 PM

the 965 be is better for gaming than the 8120
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 7:36:55 PM

I am on stock cooling but people say not to overclock on stock cooling. Im not sure how the ram is setup lol. Never really noticed it since I bought the computer from the store built. Would you say that it would be bottlenecking? I play Battlefield 3 a lot and noticed that it sometimes uses only 70%Gpu usage in big maps. Also, how much different would the 2 processors be in gaming?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 7:39:21 PM

is your processor overclocked?
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 7:41:05 PM

if your ram is only in single channel then you will feel the hurt, make sure that your are utilising your dual channel slots properly,
the Fx has four real cores and four kind of cores, but is propped as an eightcore chip, not entirely true but irrelevant, the four kind of cores won't help you in gaming though, which is very relevant
at matched clockspeeds I'd say theres not much in it,
but I personally blew off Fx after release and chose the 975Be, and I'm not upset at all by the choice, even when I run at stock speed,
but the 7850 won't be choked by any of these chips so thats not a problem,
grab a 212 pro cooler and check out the black edition overclocking guide up the top of O/c section, its the wisest move here in my eyes
Moto
m
l
August 16, 2012 7:51:37 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
if your ram is only in single channel then you will feel the hurt, make sure that your are utilising your dual channel slots properly,
the Fx has four real cores and four kind of cores, but is propped as an eightcore chip, not entirely true but irrelevant, the four kind of cores won't help you in gaming though, which is very relevant
at matched clockspeeds I'd say theres not much in it,
but I personally blew off Fx after release and chose the 975Be, and I'm not upset at all by the choice, even when I run at stock speed,
but the 7850 won't be choked by any of these chips so thats not a problem,
grab a 212 pro cooler and check out the black edition overclocking guide up the top of O/c section, its the wisest move here in my eyes
Moto

But would you say that the CPU I have now is bottlenecking? Is that a fast enough CPU for gaming? Also I use both channels for my memory.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 16, 2012 8:01:32 PM

It's not bottlenecking at all.
m
l
August 16, 2012 8:25:52 PM

amuffin said:
It's not bottlenecking at all.

Are you sure? When I play Battlefield and some other demanding games, I get like 75% gpu usage on big maps. Is that normal? Its only when im looking out into the open field and stuff.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 16, 2012 8:39:15 PM

Yes, hes sure. BF3 is just a very heavy user of GPUs. As far as the CPU, while the 1055T is not the best gaming Phenom II in the family, BF3 multiplayer will actually put all 6 cores to work, so you're fine, and a 965 or 8120 would be sidegrades, not upgrades.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 16, 2012 8:42:55 PM

Oh another thing, are you running 3 RAM modules to get your 6GB of RAM? :non: 

Run 2 modules, yes, its only 4GB of RAM, but running odd numbers of modules makes it work in "Single channel memory mode", while the difference vs dual channel is negligible, if you're fighting for every ounce of power you can get on your system, its a shot in the foot you're better off without. The motherboard should have 2 colors of RAM slots, you will want to run one in each color, it shouldn't matter which, as long as they're not in the same color slot (next to each other)

Example:
---CPU is here--
Slot 1- RAM stick
Slot 2- No RAM

Slot 3- RAM stick
Slot 4- No RAM
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2012 8:44:01 PM

iFaymous said:
Are you sure? When I play Battlefield and some other demanding games, I get like 75% gpu usage on big maps. Is that normal? Its only when im looking out into the open field and stuff.

An indicator of a bottleneck would be your GPU at 40% while your CPU is going nuts at 99% while running around a sparsely populated small map server
m
l
August 17, 2012 1:48:37 AM

nekulturny said:
Oh another thing, are you running 3 RAM modules to get your 6GB of RAM? :non: 

Run 2 modules, yes, its only 4GB of RAM, but running odd numbers of modules makes it work in "Single channel memory mode", while the difference vs dual channel is negligible, if you're fighting for every ounce of power you can get on your system, its a shot in the foot you're better off without. The motherboard should have 2 colors of RAM slots, you will want to run one in each color, it shouldn't matter which, as long as they're not in the same color slot (next to each other)

Example:
---CPU is here--
Slot 1- RAM stick
Slot 2- No RAM

Slot 3- RAM stick
Slot 4- No RAM

So buying a AMD Phenom II X4 965BE wouldn't be worth buying?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 17, 2012 1:51:45 AM

Probably not no. You'd be better buying a decent CPU cooler like a 212+ for $20 with mail in rebate from Newegg atm, and trying to overclock your 1055T. Although, that depends on if your motherboard will allow it. Although, if its a store build, it may not support overclocking. What are the full specs of the system? Including power supply.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 17, 2012 2:08:53 AM

Those extra 2 cores "benefit" you.
m
l
August 17, 2012 3:28:45 AM

nekulturny said:
Probably not no. You'd be better buying a decent CPU cooler like a 212+ for $20 with mail in rebate from Newegg atm, and trying to overclock your 1055T. Although, that depends on if your motherboard will allow it. Although, if its a store build, it may not support overclocking. What are the full specs of the system? Including power supply.

I am not sure about the motherboard specs but here is what I have now that I know

-AMD Phenom x6 1055T
-500w CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus
-MSI Radeon 7850 Twin Frozr
-6GB DDR3 Ram
-1.5TB Hard Drive

But again, I do not know anything specifically.

What kind of performance on games would I get if I were to upgrade to like, a AMD FX 8150? Would that be worth upgrading to?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 17, 2012 3:46:53 AM

The 8120 and 8150 are the same CPU, the 8150 is just clocked higher, since they're both fully overclockable theres no real advantage to paying more for the 8150. But it would still be a sidegrade for the most part. Most games are GPU limited, not CPU..

As far as the mobo. You can find out what brand and model it is with a program like CPU-Z. Its a free download, run it and click the mainboard tab.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 17, 2012 4:11:28 AM

That would be more of a sidegrade, not an upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 17, 2012 4:37:32 AM

unfortunately the AMD CPU's have been stagnant for the past few years and no matter what you get it won't make much difference.

what the nuckle guy said below "965 or 8120 would be sidegrades, not upgrades. ".................

that pretty much says it all. save your money. want an upgrade try Intel.......... and not trying to be funny and not a fanboy.

I have a 775 q9550 and it relays data quicker than anything AMD has and it's an old processor too.
m
l
August 17, 2012 4:38:37 AM

What do you think I should be getting in FPS on ultra with my 1366*768 resolution? Also I don't know why but my GPU wont max out the power of the GPU to 99% if your in an open area in BF3. It will only get to 99 if your in close quarter situations, otherwise it would stay around 75-80% on large maps. Plus it only runs at around 55% on low settings.... Not sure whats going on there but I can only get around 50-90 frames which would be around the same as Ultra. I though I was supposed to get more.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 17, 2012 4:43:19 AM

If you're only playing at 1366x768, theres no reason to upgrade anything. Your monitor is probably a 60hz monitor (almost all of them are), that means your system could send 1000 FPS to the monitor, you'll only ever see 60 of them. Actually a 7850 is overkill for that computer monitor. I wouldn't touch anything until you buy a better monitor lol.
m
l
August 17, 2012 5:18:42 AM

nekulturny said:
If you're only playing at 1366x768, theres no reason to upgrade anything. Your monitor is probably a 60hz monitor (almost all of them are), that means your system could send 1000 FPS to the monitor, you'll only ever see 60 of them. Actually a 7850 is overkill for that computer monitor. I wouldn't touch anything until you buy a better monitor lol.

But im getting drops to around 45 on low settings which my old gfx card got higher which is a 550ti. I just don't get it lol. Someone said on another thread saying that my cpu is bottlenecking... Im not sure what to do anymore lol.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 17, 2012 5:34:48 AM

It's not bottlenecking! :fou: 
m
l
August 17, 2012 5:41:17 AM

amuffin said:
It's not bottlenecking! :fou: 

Would you say that it is a normal behavior though? To get those kinds of frames and gpu usage?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2012 8:11:15 AM

If your old (worse) GPU got higher average FPS then its clearly something wrong with your GPU/user error setting it up...... let me guess you put the new card in by simply opening the machine up and swapping them round then installing new drivers?

Clean sweep any old Nvidia drivers

Ensure things like Vsysnc are NOT turned on

Understand if you have lower frames than the previous card you dont have a bottleneck the card is duff or you did something wrong.

PEBKAC

m
l
August 17, 2012 5:31:42 PM

wr6133 said:
If your old (worse) GPU got higher average FPS then its clearly something wrong with your GPU/user error setting it up...... let me guess you put the new card in by simply opening the machine up and swapping them round then installing new drivers?

Clean sweep any old Nvidia drivers

Ensure things like Vsysnc are NOT turned on

Understand if you have lower frames than the previous card you dont have a bottleneck the card is duff or you did something wrong.

PEBKAC

I don't know if their gone or not, but I did clean sweep them with Driver Sweeper and they still show up. This is what I have from Nvidia. Nvidia Chipset, Nvidia Display, Nvidia Physx. The only thing I have on there for AMD is AMD Display.

I will do another sweep though to see how it goes.

EDIT: Nvm I cannot even clean them again but they are not really there. It says there is nothing in them. Also when I go to AMD Vision Center it comes up with like 5 different AMD Series 7800 Options. Here is a picture of it.

http://i.imgur.com/tgJRQ.png

Not sure if that is normal or not.
m
l
!