Question about Bottlenecking

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
Alright, so I'm kind of just curious, but can anyone explain a way to me to tell if my CPU or GPU is bottlenecking the other?

I've got a Phenom II 975 BE OC'ed @ 4.0 ghz and a Zotac GTX 560 ti 1gb 256-bit OC'ed a little.

I know the 660ti just came out (and I regret not knowing before I bought my gtx560ti) but I was wondering that if I save up and buy the 660 ti (or 660 if it's out), would my cpu be able to handle it?

Solution
The GPU is always the bottleneck if you push graphics details high enough. If you do not push the GPU that hard then which of the two is the bottleneck will vary from game to game and even from scene to scene within the same game.

The CPU is rarely a problem unless you have something low-end or run unusually CPU-intensive games such as 64-players BF3 maps or use FRAPS to record games.

InvalidError

Titan
The GPU is always the bottleneck if you push graphics details high enough. If you do not push the GPU that hard then which of the two is the bottleneck will vary from game to game and even from scene to scene within the same game.

The CPU is rarely a problem unless you have something low-end or run unusually CPU-intensive games such as 64-players BF3 maps or use FRAPS to record games.

Solution

Brendan_14

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
Alrighty, thanks guys.

I mean, I mostly play Arma 2 (and 3 when it gets released), and the soon to come out GW2. I just want to make sure all my bases are covered and I don't get screwed because I bought something and it wouldn't work to it's full due to my hardware.