Custom Build Keeps Crashing

jaden8992

Honorable
May 2, 2012
First thread, so go easy on the noob haha.

So, I built my computer about a year and 1/2 ago, it has decent budget specs for a gaming pc, with a COMPLETELY overkill PSU i just got this week along with the hardware i started with.
Corsair Professional Gold 1200W-
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
AMD athlon II x4 @2.9 GHz With aftermarket cooler, NO overclock
8 GB of G-Skill DDR3 Ram at 1600 MHz
Western Digital Caviar Green 500 GB
Cooler Master CM690 II

ANYWAYS..
While I've been playing League of Legends, and that seems to be the only time this is happening, my computer will just shut off, no warning at all. Once or twice it's locked up, but more often than not, It just restarts without warning. I don't know what to do, I've bought a new power supply and as you can see, it's not a bad one. Just posting this to see if anyone might have some ideas or tips to help me out here, thanks in advance!

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Sounds like it's your PSU. Do you have another psu floating around that you can use to test?

FYI just because you have a good psu doesn't mean it can't fail :)

EDIT: just read that you only got the supply a week ago... was the computer resetting before you got the new psu?

jaden8992

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Yes, it was.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I own a AX1200 its a great powersupply but is over kill for pretty much anything. lol

Are you getting any BSOD? or just a lock up/ shut down?

Is it happening to any other games? if its just that one try uninstalling it and reinstalling it all over again. Maybe the game file is just corrupted. Have you tried playing a more intensive game and seeing if it happens?.

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
It's a software issue if it only happens, during your league of legends playtime.
Have you changed your video graphics drivers recently?
try re-installing them or go back to the previous version.

If that doesn't help, check your ram. Run memtest. switch slots, try 1 stick, then the other. But first try and see if its software related.

jaden8992

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Well, i have been playing League of Legends pretty hard lately, I'll try some battlefield 3 for a good amount of time, then I'll get back to you on that.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

The AX1200 is the best PSU out right now so it will last you a few builds. I orginally bought mine to SLI 2 580's but im currently on the EVGA stepup list for my 680 now. Hopefully i can sell it and grab 2 Signature FTW 4GB cards when i get it. Thats the nice thing about that power supply you can throw as much at it as you want and never have to worry about a power limit, lol.

Anyways back to the subject. Try out BF3 if it doesnt crash, then you know its a software issue. So you best bet is to uninstall the game and reinstall it again or if you updated drivers recently for you video card roll back to the previous one. If it does crash with BF3 then you know its some kind of hardware issue. Most likely RAM or your Video Card.

jaden8992

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Good God, let me know if you can't run anything, lmao

Anyways back to the subject. Try out BF3 if it doesnt crash, then you know its a software issue. So you best bet is to uninstall the game and reinstall it again or if you updated drivers recently for you video card roll back to the previous one. If it does crash with BF3 then you know its some kind of hardware issue. Most likely RAM or your Video Card.
all right, waiting for it to finish downloading, come to thinking about drivers, i did recently update catalyst...

jaden8992

Honorable
May 2, 2012
So, I've figured out It's my CPU. One of the cores is dying, so I'm just gonna get like another relatively cheap AMD CPU until I can afford to get an intel. Any suggestions on what AMD cpu I should get? Preferably under 150$