Sign in with
Your question

Help interfacing speakers to PC w/o receiver

Last response: in Components
August 16, 2012 8:06:17 PM

Hello all! This may be posted in the wrong category but no other seemed more appropriate.

Basically, my question is simple. I have 5 home audio speakers that connect with speaker wire that I found for a really good deal the other day. I am interested in using them for my computer but am not sure which interface method is best. I do not have a receiver to accept the speaker wire, nor do I have a subwoofer yet.

Could anyone please recommend what I need to purchase to use them with my PC most efficiently and affordably? I have hdmi available as an input on my pc. I have onboard audio or the audio available with my gtx 580. There is not currently a dedicated audio card.

I would appreciate all suggestions!

As it stands now, I am using headphones..
August 16, 2012 8:14:31 PM

So you have speakers, but no amp/receiver, right?

Well, you're gonna HAVE to get an amp/receiver. That the only way to do it.

You CAN'T just "hook up" the speakers into your sound card/integrated sound (even with some kind of an adapter). Even if you could, it wouldn't have enough power to run them. And HDMI is out as well, unless you get a receiver with a HDMI input. There's just no possible way that could work otherwise.

m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 8:19:54 PM

Also what wattage are your speakers rated at?
m
l
August 16, 2012 8:20:56 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
So you have speakers, but no amp/receiver, right?

Well, you're gonna HAVE to get an amp/receiver. That the only way to do it.

You CAN'T just "hook up" the speakers into your sound card/integrated sound (even with some kind of an adapter). Even if you could, it wouldn't have enough power to run them. And HDMI is out as well, unless you get a receiver with a HDMI input. There's just no possible way that could work otherwise.

It would work, it would just be very quiet....
m
l
August 16, 2012 8:22:17 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
It would work, it would just be very quiet....

Yeah, like nearly silent, especially if the speakers are any good. :lol: 
m
l
August 16, 2012 8:24:22 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, like nearly silent, especially if the speakers are any good. :lol: 

They could be replacement headphones......
m
l
August 16, 2012 8:28:58 PM

I have the samsung PSCS610E set of 5 speakers minus the sub. I am in the US and understand a receiver of some sort is a necessity. I was just curious what the best method would be. More specifically, what would be best without spending hundreds :) 

Feel free to ask anything else that needs to be taken into consideration.
m
l
!