Choosing a Mobility CPU

irthinker

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
For the computer I am considering, the standard option is the i7-3610QM, you can upgrade to the following CPUs, for the following prices.

i7-3720QM (+$150.00)
i7-3820QM (+$350.00)
i7-3920XM (+$900.00)
i7-3920XM (+$1,150.00)

I plan to use this for everything, gaming, productivity, household stuff, the whole deal. Gaming is generally the most demanding thing I do on it. Should I upgrade the CPU?

I will probably have 16 GB RAM and dual 2 GB 7970 graphics cards.

Solution
Fitting one in a carry on, no I suppose not. :lol: Well, if you have the money for it, get the best laptop you can afford. The 3820 honestly should be enough though.
.... You don't need 16GB of RAM for anything you mentioned, 8GB is more than enough for that. As far as the CPU, get the best you can afford, but I will say that laptops for gaming is not a super great idea. A $1000 desktop could own a $4000-5000 "gaming" laptop all day long. The price to performance vs mobility just isn't worth the cost.

Its much more economical to get a fairly competent laptop that can do light gaming on when you're traveling, and put the most money into a desktop rig. Hell, you'd be better off getting a small Travel/LAN style computer case thats portable.

irthinker

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
Believe me, I have thought hard about that topic. I have been building my own gaming desktops for over a decade now. But I really hate working between two computers and I need to be able to travel internationally and stay for months at a time. The compressive forces that my luggage undergoes in the belly of the plane and the tender mercies of the baggage crew have shattered wooden hangars; I do not expect a desktop to travel well. If it can't fit in my carry on, I cannot expect it to survive the trip.

I have never tried building a small desktop though...is there a way to achieve a powerful gaming rig that will fit into a carry on, ideally with room to spare?

EDIT: and monitor, keyboard, etc. of course.