Hello everyone,

Here's my setup:
Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3
CPU: AMD Phenom II black X4 965
PSU OLD: crappy 600W
PSU NEW: Corsair GS800
RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL (X2)
GPU: Nvidia EVGA GTX275

I just moved back to America from Japan. I bought my graphics card, CPU, RAM, and motherboard back with me and sold off my case and PSU.

I reassembled my computer in an old case here using a 5-6 year old 600W power supply that I got on the cheap back then. The computer powers up and all the fans run, but there is no POST test and the nothing shows on the monitor and the CPU fan acts like it can't get going. It's hard to describe but it sounds like WHHHHIIIIIRRRRRRiiiirrrRRWHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRiiiiiirrrrRRWHHIIII ..... like it is stuttering to get going.

I tried removing everything but the cpu, (i even removed and put it back in), and then started plugging things in one at a time.
Cpu only = fan running fine but still no post.
CPU plus RAM = same
CPU/RAM/HDD = same
CPU/RAM/HDD/Graphics card = fan stuttering problem.

I thought it had to be a PSU problem thinking maybe the old PSU just couldn't handle the newer graphics card so I went down and bought a overkill PSU (800W corsair) and..... same problem exactly :(

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem? The computer worked fine before the move....

THINGS I HAVE TRIED:
- Taking everything out and replacing one by one
- Cleaning CMOS battery
- Trying a new PSU
- Different RAM combinations (0, 1, 2)
- A different power outlet somewhere else in house.
- Switching GPU between my two PCI slots.

on a side note when I removed the cpu it came out stuck to the cooler so in the process of removing it I bent some pins.... :( I straightened them out though, but the problem has been the same both before and after, but that might be a whole nother case of worms.

If anyone has any idea please throw them at me :)

Thanks

Solution

You realize I was refering to little speaker you connect to mainboard? The one that should give you one short beep when POST is successful.
ba4225be_speaker.jpeg

shiztwin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the response!

I haven't tried with actual speakers, but I have tried with earphones and nada.

When I unpacked the mobo the heatsink had actually come unstuck. Since reading your post I've tried removing the heatsink and cpu and re-seating them but still nothing... Think it might need new paste?

geewin1950

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I've had a similar problem twice. First time it seemed to be the GPU, but proved to be the psu, after changing cards twice :pt1cable: .
The second time - almost exactly the same symptoms you describe (but not the cpu fan) - it was the M/B! :bounce:

shiztwin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the response geewin!

Well I guess it might be the Mobo then >>
I hope not though. I'll keep playing around with it though and see if I can't get it working. If nothing goes though, I guess I'll try a new mobo first though.

Bejusek

Distinguished

You realize I was refering to little speaker you connect to mainboard? The one that should give you one short beep when POST is successful.
ba4225be_speaker.jpeg

Solution
Whenever you remove the CPU heatsink you need to clean the base and re-apply thermal paste before reinstalling. That would be the next thing that i would do before continuing or attempting to boot anymore. Reinstalling the heatsink san be a little tricky so make sure that you have good even contact between the HSF and the CPU. You may have an improperly mounted HSF or improper contact beween the HSF/CPU because of the old thermal paste that is causing your CPU to overheat. After reinstalling the HSF make sure that the HSF fan is plugged into the CPU_fan header on the mobo; if no fan is detected by the m/b then the PC won't pass POST.

shiztwin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Ok thanks for the replies you two. Really appreciate it.

Bejusek:
Lol, no I didn't, I don't have one of those on this board. Either it didn't come with one, or I never attached it. I will go search for it.

Rugger:
Thanks, ok I will try that as well
EDIT: The cpu fan connecter is oddly bent. It wont smoothly snap in, it plugs in straight but then it bends back away from clip. It got bent on the move. I was thinking it wasn't an issue since the fan spins though. Could the fan spin yet the mobo not recognize it?

UPDATE:
Upon further testing (holding down fans with my fingers) I have found that it actually isn't the CPU heatsink fan that is having the problem. It's the GPU fan. I guess it kind of changes the whole problem.... Think it's a GPU problem or still a PSU/motherboard problem?

shiztwin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry for double post, but problem solved. I found the speaker you were talking about Bejusek, thanks, and I got a POST.

It still took some playing around with odd POST codes, but it turned out to be a RAM issue. No idea why that kept my GPU fan from spinning up though. I switched the sticks of RAM and only put the second one in the first slot and badabing!

Thanks, everyone!