E6600 heatsink/fan connection Question

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
HI, im planing to buy the core 2 duo e6600 retail, and the P5e dh deluxe mobo, i was wondering how is the cpu's stock fan? that is the mobo has if im not mistaken a 3 pin connection, does the hsf from the cpu have also a 3 or maby a 4 pin connection?

The other question is is the stock heatsink good? will it be ok if I would like to oc the e6600 to 3.0(from its original 2.4) or should i get a neww hsf right away(im not planing to oc for a while, about a year or so)

Thx for all replies.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx fro the info , so i gues i will stay with the stock heatsink fan for a while, btw did the hsf come with the thermal "pad", that is will i have to scrub/clean the cpu off it so i can apply the arctic silver, or the thermal paste/stripe that came with it(if it did) is good enough?, just out of curiosity what temps are You geting? does it run hot or its quite good and cool?

thx

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Really hard to say, from what I read. But it should be sufficient.

Most cases if it is running hot on thermal pad, is mainly because of the 4 pin clamp on design of the HSF. Seems abit tough for some people getting that part of the installation right on the 1st try.

If you choose AS5, yes you will need to clean it off, and apply it accordling to the AS5 instructions.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I feel Your pain lol i will probably geting all the parts next week and i will probably have to wait for the Bios hip to come in from asus, i have no idea how long it might take, but i gues it will be about a week :cry: .....lol that will give me time to fall asleap from reading the manuals/instructions :wink: lol

btw what is beter to just leave that thermal strip on the cpu's hsf, and install it as it is, or scrape it off and use AS5? im not going to oc for a while, and it will be my first build(from ground up), but i gues there is not much to it except for being careful and not scrach the hsf surface, and patience in removing the goo, hm...and besides i think it might be beter to just leave it with the thermal strips, untill i would see if all is working corectly.

btw what tests should i do when i finaly get the system to run well? i heard something about memtest (98 if im not mistaken), and some other apps.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Most people would prolly be interested in seeing:

CPU-Z stats
3Dmark 05-06 scores
Super PI
CPU load temps

Maybe certain game built in benchmarks.

Dunno, perhaps someone should make a kit that has everything for this site. :lol:

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx for the info , i needed the names of the apps lol i didnt remember them , how long will i need to run the tests, also in regards to the net i was thinking the same, so i would first get the bios on a flash drive even begore i would have to dismantle my old pc (to get the hd's and use the case and psu from it, as well as optical drives) if the bios that came with teh mobo aloow me to use conroe, if not i would have to wait for the chip to come in.
Then i would install windows, install the gpu card drivers , the dvd drive drivers, then install the apps you mentioned below, if all goes well i would install the antivirus software, norton system works, then i would connect the cd-rw drive, and the other hard drive, then the tv tuner card after all that, and then i would get the internet working, and then update all my antivirus definitions, firewal updates and such....and then i gues i would be all finished with the instalation, so i could install all other apps/winrar/zip/games/and such...and then enjoy lool hopefully

would that be the correct order of installing things...?

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Im going to get the saphire x850xt my psu is a thermaltake purepower 480W (with 18A, 1 rail) so hopefully it will be enough, btw if i would get artifacts what does that mean , i know that it means (or atleast i think )that the gpu is overheating...right? or does it mean that theres something wrong with the card itselfe?