Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Critique My First Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 2, 2012 10:33:20 PM

I've just recently purchased parts to build a computer that is capable of playing high end games on higher if not maximum settings and just able to run quickly and efficiently. I was hoping that the more knowledgeable community here could critique my job.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (x2)

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

No optical drive yet... about to purchase that. Any and all input would be very much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

More about : critique build

May 2, 2012 10:46:10 PM

Can you give us names, not links?
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 10:58:29 PM

Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer

PSU: Antec Neo 620W - Continuous Power

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5

Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

HDD: Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III

Sorry, I was going to only post the names at first but for some reason I felt as if I should do it in links.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 10:59:01 PM

IMO, you skimped out too much on the PSU and the GPU

the PSU is way to overpriced for its quality, gpu is pretty weak in comparison to all the other parts in the computer.

edit: and does the 2x on the ram mean you bought 16 gb ram? kinda excessive. 16 gb is rarely used except for extremely high end builds and people who do design/rendering/encoding work
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 11:03:56 PM

I shouldn't of worded the original post the way I did. I haven't purchased the motherboard, CPU, and GPU yet simply because I decided to seek advice on here first. Seeing as those are the main points of my purpose for my computer.

I bought the PSU because it was about $30 on newegg as a shellshocker. I was hoping it would hold up for me so I could save a little for the rest of the build.
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 11:08:31 PM

Confetti said:
I shouldn't of worded the original post the way I did. I haven't purchased the motherboard, CPU, and GPU yet simply because I decided to seek advice on here first. Seeing as those are the main points of my purpose for my computer.

I bought the PSU because it was about $30 on newegg as a shellshocker. I was hoping it would hold up for me so I could save a little for the rest of the build.


if it was 30$, thats alot better i guess. but if you paid original price, that would have been a waste
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 11:16:32 PM

dudewitbow said:
IMO, you skimped out too much on the PSU and the GPU

the PSU is way to overpriced for its quality, gpu is pretty weak in comparison to all the other parts in the computer.

edit: and does the 2x on the ram mean you bought 16 gb ram? kinda excessive. 16 gb is rarely used except for extremely high end builds and people who do design/rendering/encoding work



Do you have any suggestions for a more powerful GPU that ranges up to around $200?

Yeah I bought the ram because it was a little bit cheaper at the time. I should've done more research but I guess I have it in case now =/.
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 11:18:17 PM

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for a more powerful GPU that ranges up to around $200?

Yeah I bought the ram because it was a little bit cheaper at the time. I should've done more research but I guess I have it in case now =/.



from my knowlege of GPU ranges

AMD would look like

6850/7770(130)>6870(150)>7850(250) those are about average prices in that range, occasionally there will be sales which you can find stuff cheaper

Nvidia

GTX 460(140)>GTX 560(190$)>GTX 560 TI(230)> GTX 560TI 448(290)
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 11:29:41 PM

Confetti said:
Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer

PSU: Antec Neo 620W - Continuous Power

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5

Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

HDD: Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III

Sorry, I was going to only post the names at first but for some reason I felt as if I should do it in links.

What's your budget, when do you plan on purchasing, what's your monitors resolution, do you have Windows and do you plan on going with dual vid cards in the future...and do you plan on over clocking?

Without knowing those details it makes it kind of hard to say yay or nay.
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 11:47:49 PM

Why_Me said:
What's your budget, when do you plan on purchasing, what's your monitors resolution, do you have Windows and do you plan on going with dual vid cards in the future...and do you plan on over clocking?

Without knowing those details it makes it kind of hard to say yay or nay.


I've purchased all but the CPU, GPU, and motherboard. My budget for those three would be in the same range with some flexibility based on advice and opinions on what would need to be changed. I plan on buying a monitor that runs at 1920x1080. I'm gonna purchase windows. In the future I would look into dual video cards once more money becomes available. I already thought of the possibility of running two of the ones I picked.

Edit: I'd like to overclock. I'm completely new to it though so it wouldn't be immediately.
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 11:50:15 PM

No, don't listen to the guy who said you skimped out. The Antec Neo is a good quality unit.
m
0
l

Best solution

May 2, 2012 11:57:15 PM

Build is solid. But you should've dropped from the Extreme6 down to a Extreme4, saved some money there and put it towards the GPU. The 550 Ti was probably the worst card of the ones you could've picked at the same price range. The 550 Ti performs just slightly above the 5770 for about $30 more. The 6790 trounces the 550 Ti at the same price. But yeah, if possible. Return the GPU, return the motherboard. Get the Asrock EXtreme3 Gen3 Z68 or Extreme4 Z77 both are fine, and that'll get you about $30-$50 back on the board. I would suggest getting the Extreme3 to save more money. You still get the same performance and features.

Z77 has 0 improvement over Z68 honestly. The benchmarks show it. Gen3 still allows PCI 3.0 and USB 3.0 performs the same as Z77, so you lose nothing but save more.

With the $50 extra, get the 6870. I'd say get the 7850 but that's too much @ $250 and the GTX 560 isn't worth it at $180-$190 for only a slight increase over the 6870 ($155).
Share
May 3, 2012 12:07:54 AM

aznshinobi said:
Build is solid. But you should've dropped from the Extreme6 down to a Extreme4, saved some money there and put it towards the GPU. The 550 Ti was probably the worst card of the ones you could've picked at the same price range. The 550 Ti performs just slightly above the 5770 for about $30 more. The 6790 trounces the 550 Ti at the same price. But yeah, if possible. Return the GPU, return the motherboard. Get the Asrock EXtreme3 Gen3 Z68 or Extreme4 Z77 both are fine, and that'll get you about $30-$50 back on the board. I would suggest getting the Extreme3 to save more money. You still get the same performance and features.

Z77 has 0 improvement over Z68 honestly. The benchmarks show it. Gen3 still allows PCI 3.0 and USB 3.0 performs the same as Z77, so you lose nothing but save more.

With the $50 extra, get the 6870. I'd say get the 7850 but that's too much @ $250 and the GTX 560 isn't worth it at $180-$190 for only a slight increase over the 6870 ($155).


First, thanks for your input and thanks to everyone else so far.

Honestly I began using the Extreme4. Through a series of foolish mistakes, that I won't even mention, I moved up to a Extreme6. I can see your point about moving down to the Extreme3. With that much of a drop I can handle giving a little extra for the 7850 if it's performance is worth it. However, at $155 the 6870 is more tempting. Is there a certain card (make) that you would suggest for the GPU?
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:07:57 AM

Then it is not Gen3 if USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 isn't fully utilized now is it?
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:13:32 AM

Azeem, you realize your question was very vague. "It may allow for it, but does it saturate it? I am pretty sure Z77 is like X79." I wasn't sure if you were referring to Gen3 or what.

As for USB 3.0, how is that involved? It's just native controller vs on-board controller. Native allows for more USB 3.0 ports, but an on-board still gives you more than enough.

As for your posts azeem, is there ever an occasion where you make a post that is more than 2-3 lines? More in depth perhaps? Specially in an argument or something. It just bugs me, you don't have to change but I'm just pointing it out.

And the Extreme3 can handle any card just fine. All PCI slots pretty much perform the same honestly. If any performance difference at all it's unnoticeable. As for the 6870, go for it. Honestly I'd return that 550 Ti and get the 6870 you'd get a much larger performance increase and after overclocks the 6870 can reach the 560 Ti. That's at max though.

As for cards, no the 6870 holds best mid-low range value right now. Then it's the 7850 at the next step up. Arguments can be made for the 560 Ti but the 7850 is only $30 more for a margin of performance increase. Plus temps, power consumption and the overclocking are all better. Overclocking a 7850 can reach the performance of GTX 580
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:14:23 AM

So now you're going to insult me?
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:19:33 AM

This may be a stupid question. But I was looking at the ASRock Extreme3 and saw that it doesn't say it supports 1866 RAM. Does that mean that my RAM won't work with the board literally. And even if the board doesn't have the PCI slot the GPU says it's built for I can use another PCI?
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:21:19 AM

PCI and PCIe are two different slots. No GPU out right now uses PCI.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:22:24 AM

Ram downclocks. I would also say that you should probably just get 1600 and save money Performance difference is again 1-3% hardly noticeable. 3% is giving it a pretty large margin.

And... I'm not sure if I get your last question... the Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 has 2 PCI-e 2.0/3.0 slots that can run at 8x/8x so you can still use SLI/CF if you want. All PCI-e cards are backwards compatible. Theoretically, PCI 3.0 cards can be used on a PCI-e 1.0 slot but you'd just be restricting the bandwidth of the card by... a lot.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:30:50 AM

I've already bought it on sale so I'll just bite the bullet.

I apologize my knowledge of PCI/PCI-e is extremely limited. From what I get off of the description I think I now understand that the CPU determines the 2.0/3.0? Either way, I'll take your word for it since your understand surpasses mine greatly, haha.

So I'm going to drop the extreme6 to an extreme3 and get the 6870. Just picking out the make of the card now and I should be set. Thank you again, you've been incredibly helpful.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:31:52 AM

Best answer selected by Confetti.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:44:27 AM

I don't mean to ask trivial questions but is there a certain company that you would say I should go with? I notice small differences between each.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 12:53:06 AM

Ummm nah. Usually I trust all companies but I look at reviews first. Don't be like most "enthusiasts" and have company bias. Corsair and Asus rips most people off like that. Other companies like Asrock for MB's and Antec/OCZ for PSU's sometimes get similar if not better reviews and usually tend to be better performing for a much lower price.

Just going to give examples. Like how the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 is $50 cheaper than Asus's cheapest PCI 3.0 supporting 8x/8x board. The performance ends up being the same.

Or how everyone recommends the TX750V2 when the OCZ 750w performs the same for $20 less, Corsair's HX series is an even bigger ripoff when you look at competitors modular PSU prices.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 1:02:17 AM

Picked the sapphire card. Seemed to be the most well liked. Thanks!
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 2:36:06 AM

Sounds good good luck!
m
0
l
!